Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Question on Transmission Fluid Level for the experts

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts
Lightbulb A Question on Transmission Fluid Level for the experts

So here is a query and perhaps a challenge for some of the mechanic experts on the forum. Knowing the challenge of no dipstick for the transmission, hoping against hope that our drain, measure, fill, start 14 seconds, drain, measure, fill, start 14 seconds, repeat until you feel satisfied and that the transmission is changed and "full".

So if anyone had theirs removed to service, filled with precisely the Jaguar stated amount of fluid. Could you then measure the level through the fill "bung" that would indicate the exact precise full line. Then install an aftermarket dip stick (the kind that inserts into and o ring seals into the tube). Adjustment done until the removed dipstick showed correct "full" level? Seen an aftermarket dipstick and thought, hhhmmmmm.....

somewhat like this that even has a funnel adapter for filling =
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/l...hoCGK4QAvD_BwE

Old 02-06-2019, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member

Funny that some of the true mechanics here have not responded.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Del, I'm surprised you haven't referred to Jaguar's method of setting the level as explained in JTIS. Quickly cut and pasted below. Sorry that it comes out in such a tight format, but you'll get the idea, that is, there is no specified quantity other than the total volume figure of 8.8 liters for a dry fill.

Transmission Fluid Level Check

Raise and support the vehicle. .Connect the Jaguar Approved Diagnostic System.Make sure J-Gate shift selector is in the Park position (P).With the engine running and the foot brake applied, move the J-Gate shift selector through 'P-R-N-D-4-3-2' and back to the 'P' position to circulate the automatic transmission fluid until the temperature reaches 30 to 40°C (86 to 104°F) on the Jaguar Approved Diagnostic System.

When the automatic transmission fluid temperature reaches 35°C (95°F) check that the selector lever is in the 'P' position raise the vehicle. With the engine running, remove the automatic transmission fluid level tube plug.Remove and discard the level plug and sealing washer. Use automatic transmission fluid WSS-M2C922-A1 or equivalent meeting Jaguar specification Remove the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe cap. .If the automatic transmission fluid does not come out of the transmission fluid level tube the automatic transmission fluid level is insufficient. If this is the case add the automatic transmission fluid in 0.5 litre units into the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe until the automatic transmission fluid comes out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube.

Make sure the automatic transmission fluid temperature does not exceed 40°C (104°F). If the automatic transmission fluid temperature does exceed 40°C (104°F) stop the automatic transmission fluid level check and allow the automatic transmission fluid to cool until the temperature reaches 30 to 40°C (86 to 104°F).

Allow the automatic transmission fluid to come out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube until the overflow stops at a temperature of no more than 40°C (104°F).If when the automatic transmission fluid level plug is first removed and automatic transmission fluid comes out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube, allow the automatic transmission fluid to come out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube until the overflow stops at a temperature of no more than 40°C (104°F).

Install the transmission fluid level plug.Install a new level plug and sealing washer.Tighten to 15 Nm. Install the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe cap.Lower the vehicle.Disconnect the Jaguar Approved Diagnostic System.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:57 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default dipstick access

From what I recall the filler plug where you want to check the fluid level by sticking your pinkie in the hole is in a location that no dipstick could ever reach from above.
P. Smith
Carson City, NV

Old 02-07-2019, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member

Actually my posted thread on transmission fluid change with pictures imho is one of the best in the forum with all the above information. In addition it includes the DEFINITIVE explanation and correct location with pictures of the level check plug versus the (bad if confused) reverse band plug that screws your transmission if messed with.

My point is not checking when changing, but rather if, as described in my OP, periodic checks could be performed in between with the aforementioned dip stick refit. By knowing ABSOLUTELY the correct level on a transmission removal and rebuild and full fill, then measuring the level in the fill pipe hole, could/would allow fitting the proposed dip stick with adjustment of the "blade" to reflect the full line without any guess work.

I suppose the argument could be made that assuring the "Jaguar Method" fills the transmission to the full line, refit, measurements, etc. could be made. I'm just awfully OCD about crap, lol.

@Carson, if you look at the proposed dipstick in OP there would be no problem fitting it, length, etc on our X's.

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 02-07-2019 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:38 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Dell,

I looked at that with my 2.1, and as CarsonCitySmith mentions, looking into the fill plug hole shows all the innards of the trans in plain view, and I even tried to get a SMALL diameter tube into mine to suck out a bit, coz I thought it was overfull, NO WAY past 3" in, no matter how I twisted that tube around, it would go no further.

I simply drain mine, overnight, and measure "about" 4.8ltrs, every time, so since our ATF comes in 5ltr containers, thats what it gets, and at 7 drop and refills since October, it is just fine, and nothing sinister has bitten me.

Did the same with both the S Types with that 5R55N Ford Transmission.

When you are "physically challenged" as I am, getting under ther for STUPID temp readings etc is just plain hard work.

I was looking at the breather hole area, but NAH, harder than the fill plug, so it stays as made.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 02-08-2019 at 01:19 AM.