X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 X-Type Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '07 X-Type Starting Problem

Experiencing problems starting my '07 X-Type automatic. Will start after frequent attempts to start but it is hit and many misses. Gauges light up, lights come on, clicking sound when key is turned and red light on transmission console comes on when start is attempted. Tried battery charger. No improvement. Suspected weak battery so attempted jump start from healthy battery. No improvement. I suspect faulty starter or other component. I expect battery will have to be replaced (unsure of age but test will confirm its condition). Car is completely unreliable and requires MANY attempts before starter will engage and start the engine (it starts immediately when starter engages and car can be driven). Before taking it for diagnostics, I would like to be prepared so I'm not paying for unneeded work. Your thoughts??

Old 04-26-2017, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Jump start can be a problem. Suspect the battery. Quite a cheap thing to replace.

The following users liked this post:
brianwalker (04-27-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 06:04 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Starter solenoids have been a issue on these cars. What happens when you tap the solenoid the starter solenoid while someone tries to crank the engine at the same time? If it starts after giving it a tap with a long extension then that's probably your issue.

The following users liked this post:
brianwalker (04-27-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

An even bigger problem with the X-Type is corrosion of the battery cable connectors and cables. Load test the battery and then remove and clean the interior of the connectors and check the cables for corrosion of wire strand.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by avern1
An even bigger problem with the X-Type is corrosion of the battery cable connectors and cables. Load test the battery and then remove and clean the interior of the connectors and check the cables for corrosion of wire strand.
Cables were replaced 2 yrs ago so should not be the source of the problem. I'll check them anyway to be sure

Old 04-27-2017, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the advice. Cables were replaced by the dealership when I purchased the car in '15 so they should still be good. But I'm going to check them anyway just to be sure. I suspect the battery is weak (not sure of the age, could be original). It was the inability to jump-start that made me think it might be starter or ECM or TCM.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:48 AM

Thats a solution I never thought of. I'll follow up and advise. Thanks

Old 04-27-2017, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
Starter solenoids have been a issue on these cars. What happens when you tap the solenoid the starter solenoid while someone tries to crank the engine at the same time? If it starts after giving it a tap with a long extension then that's probably your issue.
Thats a solution I never thought of. I'll follow up and advise. Thanks

Old 04-27-2017, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the advice. Cables were replaced by the dealership when I purchased the car in '15 so they should still be good. But I'm going to check them anyway just to be sure. I suspect the battery is weak (not sure of the age, could be original). It was the inability to jump-start that made me think it might be starter or ECM or TCM.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

When you did the jump start did the starter just spin over and the engine not crank? If the starter didn't spin the there was no voltage to the starter. You might have a bad starter relay, or maybe the fuse to the relay is blown. Look for a 30 amp fuse and check that it is in good condition. Then try swapping the the 2 relays on the left and right side of the fuse box closest to the radiator.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:07 AM

When you did the jump start did the starter just spin over and the engine not crank? If the starter didn't spin the there was no voltage to the starter. You might have a bad starter relay, or maybe the fuse to the relay is blown. Look for a 30 amp fuse and check that it is in good condition. Then try swapping the the 2 relays on the left and right side of the fuse box closest to the radiator.
Starter did not engage/spin. This is what made me think the problem was not the battery. Faulty battery was my first thought but when engine would not turn over with boost, I began to think of other possible causes. I'll check the fuses and the starter relay. What puzzles me is that the car will eventually start and run but it requires a large number of attempts over many hours. Thanks for the tip.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:41 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same problem with my 2002 after I bought it, starter would click in
but would not turn the starter.

Its better to buy a starter then fooling around with the solenoid

Replaced the starter and no problems since.

Walter

Old 04-28-2017, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Jump start can be a problem. Suspect the battery. Quite a cheap thing to replace.
You were right. Battery did solve problem

Old 04-29-2017, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Good to hear!