X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Jaguar X Type Speedometer Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 12:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 2002 Jaguar X Type Speedometer Problems

I recently purchased an '02 X Type and everything worked fine until about a week ago the lowest the speedometer goes is about 35 mph. At first if I turned the vehicle off and started it back up it was fine. But while driving the speedometer will stop around 30 mph. Starting yesterday the battery light came on for like a minute then went off. Are these problems perhaps connected? Any suggestions as to what to do?

Old 02-23-2014, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Yes Fancy, there have been a few interesting post recently and I think all members would say to get your battery rated.
From there you can ascertain all the other issues.
I know on other vehicles I have come across speed sensor issues and there is a plug that suffers moisture near the gearbox.
That would affect your speedo, but I would definately get the battery tested first.
Welcome to the forum and GOOD LUCK!!!
Regards, Stu

The following users liked this post:
FancyLampShade (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 05:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Stu!

I did get the battery, starter, and alternator tested. All came out fine, no problems at all. The speedometer seems to be back to normal now only about 3 mph off ( tested speed with my gps) but the digital interface for the climate control started flashing today even after cutting the engine off. Told the guy at Autozone he said to check the fuses and the forums!! lol Any thoughts on that one? I'm getting my rear shocks done this weekend I might get the mechanic to look into it if it doesn't end up costing me my soul to get the car up working order.

Stuart Beattie (03-21-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hi Fancy, and greetings from down under ... sorta opposite to Scotland (Stu's stomping ground and our occasional and favorite holiday destination) ... but sharing a great many things ... especially, love of outdoors, and sense of humour.

Stu's focus on checking your battery is well founded ... far too many false diagnoses and expensive replacement costs arise from failing batteries. The point of my post is to go a little further ... beware the too often test that proclaims your battery as "good", "fair", "bad". Buy yourself a simple $10 Digital Voltmeter and check it yourself ... you need 12.6V minimum ... 12V is "no go" ... and 11s spell "dead". Only if you can see for yourself that your battery passes this test, and all cables, connectors and fuses are also checked as OK, should you progress to deeper problem solving.

Hope this helps, and best wishes with your fix. Keep us posted.

Ken

Stuart Beattie (03-06-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 06:08 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Fancy, get your battery tested and ask them to give you a print out of the CCA rating that your battery currently has. Then look on the side/top of your battery and it should list what the battery had when it was new. If you are below 75% of that number with the current test, you need a new battery. Does it sound like overkill, probably. But, we have found that this will cure a lot of issues and prevents a lot of headaches too.

FancyLampShade (02-26-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member

Good day fancy,

Here's a post which refers to cv joint issues and speed censors:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ng-right-8316/

I had the same fault with a rover 420 and was amazed to see my speedo stop at 30 then sometimes drop.
There was a plug that heads into the gearbox and all it took was a wipe at the time and wd40.
I noticed this occurred again and was due to extreme flooding which I drove through, also due to the underbelly being open as a dodgey dealer in Aberdeen had cut out my bellypan to change the oil filter!!!

I then waterproofed the lead by tie-wrapping it into a plastic bag.

I am sorry for the lack of info i am able to find but I hope that helps?
regards, Stu

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 03-06-2014 at 06:52 AM. Reason: omittion and spelling!!! RRR
FancyLampShade (03-07-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 07:11 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Welcome to the forum FancyLampShade,

I can see you are getting good information here. I hope your speedometer is soon behaving itself again.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see.

In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 03-06-2014, 07:18 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
......... greetings from down under ... sorta opposite to Scotland (Stu's stomping ground and our occasional and favorite holiday destination) .......
These Australians are mad, absolutely mad -Scotland as a 'favourite holiday destination' !

Graham

Attached Thumbnails 2002 Jaguar X Type Speedometer Problems-cat_as_trophy.jpg  

Last edited by GGG; 03-06-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Graham ... your sense of humour becomes you ...

The submarine you see hitched behind the Jaguar in my avatar, made for some interesting, wet, but very long drives from Australia to Scotland for holidays ... LOL. Of course we are all mad here in Oz. It has to do with our families being sent halfway round the world to a land of sunshine, surf and sand ... while our "betters" got to stay home in the snow, slush and cold. Actually, I am serious about our love of the Highlands. Our farm out here is "Glencoe Park" in celebration of Stu's native GlenCoe, where in recent years we bought a little plot of land.

Back on topic ... a special for Fancy as a welcome present ... and a gentle reminder for all of us whose memories need lubricating from time to time. Using the Trip button press while turning ignition on (but not starting), we can enter what is known as ETM mode (read for full listing in FAQs here). Now, all soon learn and remember that you can read DTCs here ... and not just the generic, but also the body/chassis remote module codes. What we forget is there is much more ... including a nifty test routine for all gauges in the instrument cluster.

Aha, I hear you say ... there is a point to all this. Yes, this is purely a ballistic test but using a driver that is divorced from the normal speed sensor Stu has referred to. Comparing the gauge behaviour will show whether your erratic gauge has an internal fault or external sensor or sensor lead fault.

Cheers,
Ken

Last edited by cat_as_trophy; 03-10-2014 at 01:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-21-2014, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member

Well said Graham and Ken,

More precise, a touch of humour and no mention of plastic bags and tie wrapps!!!

My endearing gratitude and compliments to you (and that thing called sunshine in new

South Wales)!!! Good Day