X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 X-Type

Seriously considering purchasing a 2002 X-Type with 57,000 miles on it. One owner vehicle that seems clean and has been taken care of. Any words of wisdom or things i should be on the look out for before taking possession? Any and all help is appreciated

Old 07-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

slvrmdl, if you are looking for a sports car to zoom around town in, this is not the car. Sorry to say, but while it is a Jag, it is not going to be "sporty" like you are imagining. It is more of your "typical" 200 hp 4 door sedan. With that being said, you want to get out and cruise for long drives at 70-75 mph, then this will be a great car.

This is why I say what I say. First off, for 227 hp for the 3.0L motor (around 200 for the 2.5L motor), these are not great numbers for a sports car. Will it get up and move, oh hell yes. Problem is that you are looking at an AWD car that the weak link in it is the transfer case. You start using the power day after day, you are going to be replacing that transfer case to the tune of about $3000. You drive sensibly (ie, letting the car naturally shift at about 3,000 RPM with occasional uses of full power-once a week), the transfer case will outlast the car. So, depending on what sort of driver you are, this may or may not be the one for you.

If you are a "spirited driver" as we like to say, you will find that the S-Type or the XJ is going to be more in line with what you are going to like. Sure they cost a few thousand more, but the niceties of the cars are far above that of the X-Type. Remember, the X-Type was meant to be a car to introduce people to Jaguar. It is nicer than a lot of cars, but it by no means measures up to a true Jaguar. In short, the X-Type is a Ford Mondeo that has been dressed up (can be related to the trick Ford does with the Ford to Mercury to Lincoln lines).

If you like the car and it is going to fit what you want, then the big thing is to take it out for a drive and make sure that you don't hear what will sound like bolts in the drivetrain. Give the car a few spirited runs and see what it does. After that, if you like it, buy it. Most of the other problems are pretty easy to fix if you have some mechanical ability or willingness to learn.

I by no means want to scare you. Every car has its good and bad points. I simply am putting the bad points out there so you are aware of them.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:27 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

We bought our 2002 with 56K on it. Looked good, well maintained, etc. - sounds very much like the one you are considering.

What saved our bacon was buying the best aftermarket WARRANTY we could get with it.

As I have mentioned before in the forum, it paid off in spades: the replacement tranny it needed cost near as much as the car. The extra $1,200 USD for that warranty was almost a better investment than the car!

But do NOT be afraid of the car. Yes, there are some 'soft spots' here and there with it; as you read the forums you will find them. None should be a deal killer for you, once the bugs are all out of the car it is simply superb. Thermo summed the quality and known issues up as well as can be done: it AIN'T a 'Sports Car'.

And the 2002 All Wheel Drive system is beyond belief, apparently quite different from other / later year models. I have NEVER broke traction in the car on snow, solid or 'black' ice (studded Pirelli tires), except with great intentional effort.

Go for it. Get the Jag!

As far as living in Detroit and driving an X-Type Jaguar, another positive point is all the ceramic bags of soundproofing onboard the car. They should be able to stop all but the largest caliber of weapon.

(Just as small aside, but after you get it, for chrissakes do NOT use it to deliver pizzas!)

Old 07-17-2012, 08:36 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

After hearing Jeremy Clarkson's observations of 'Jag Life', I was reminded of a conversation that I had with a stranger.
A few years ago I received a phone call from the friend of a friend. The call went like this:
"Hello,is this Andy?" "Yes this is Andy." "Andy, my name is ### and @@@ is our mutual friend." "Andy, the batteries (see note1) are flat on my DIESEL motorhome." "@@@ has told me that you own several JAGS...and that you probably have a spare set of heavy duty jumper cables (see note2) that you would be willing to loan."......JAG LIFE?!?!? Cheers, Andy

1. battery is used in its plural form
2. cable is used in its plural form

Old 07-17-2012, 09:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thermo, thanks for that perspective...i'm considering a 2004 X type with low miles both for zipping around town and for moving out on the road. I do like to be a bit "forward" not aggressive) in town and am known for taking corners at a good clip

Theee is a 98 XJ8 and 96 supercharged XJR6 im considering as well. It will come down to what I think is the most reliable...

Old 07-17-2012, 12:30 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>I do like to be a bit "forward" not aggressive) in town and am known for taking corners at a good clip

No worries, I regularly participate in Jaguar Club of North America sanctioned slalom events and have had no problems. The car performs perfectly (just wish I had a manual to keep the trans from up-shifting leaving me out of the power-band).

I go easy on initial start. I don't rev the motor and dump the brake I just put the pedal down...
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 07-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

norumba, if you are looking for something more sporty, I would say to go with the 98 XJ8. While it is a bit beefier than the X-Type, I think you will find it will take the corners very nicely and will out accelerate the X-Type by a long shot. Besides, the XJ8 is a much nicer car too, even if it is a few years older. If I knew then what I know now, I would have just bought an XJ8 and skipped the X-Type all together.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:48 AM

Hi Thermo,
thanks for all the great input! I definitely want to give the XJ8 a spin , i'm just leary of the repair and maintenance involved in a pre-'02 XJ8...that said, i do want the experience of driving it,,,the 96 XJR 6 also would be worth driving.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:52 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>I would say to go with the 98 XJ8

Depends, the XJ is a lot bigger. Do you want a BMW 7-series car or a 3-series (or an A8 v.s. A4, or an E-Class v.s. a C, etc...)
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 07-19-2012, 08:05 AM

there's two paths I can go with this...If I get something in the 6-10K range, it will have to be my main car, and I'll have to sell the rAv 4 to make it happen, which is fine. Something older, in the 3 to 4 k range, could be a secondary car, though I still dont want it to be a money sink.

As a secondary car, size wont matter -- if its the only car, size does, as i have kids and music gear to haul around.

Reliability is more important than size for me, though , at any price point.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:22 PM

Take a look at my threads. I have a 2002 xtype with a manual transmission. The 2002 motor had a head gasket leak at 80K miles and I replaced the entire engine with a 2005 2.5L with 53K miles. It now has a bad catalytic converter (possibly from the antifreeze smoke it endured from the old engine). The cat alone will run $700 and I expect another $1000 to put it in. Most cars they cost $100-$200. Anyway, stuff goes wrong on all cars. This one costs more to fix. But for some reason I still like them.

Old 03-30-2023, 11:14 AM

they are great cars easy to repair parts def cheaper on line then auto stores and ship quick had mine t boned at a stop light causing a work van to have to be towed my jag only had to reset the fuel pump switch to be able to drive home got all same color parts local junk yard only bad thing to say is with the design living in massachusetts with all the salt and sand I also bought a 1 owner jag looks great outside but the weak spots are areas when you open the doors in front look at the bottom of the fenders that is where they rot out and look underneath at the frame rail between the doors where you would put the jack to change tires also rots there mine was bought by a college professor for his wife paid additional 5000 dollars for the stereo with the 6 cd changer in the truck flew to texas and drove home to mass can turn stereo up to full volume with no distortion at all and not to loud to the outside very happy with the car

Old 03-30-2023, 01:22 PM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

Looking over some of the comments here makes me laugh. It's funny how some loud of voice and confident get noticed.

As an owner of 4 jags, including an X type and X308 XJR, the X type is pretty sporty, the suspension is firmer and the steering has alot more feel than the XJR. It even has more feel than my Aston Martin V8 Vantage.

In harder extremes the X type is still front heavy and not rear drive, so its d'ynamic index' (the relationship of the C of G positioning and the moment of inertia or centre of percussion) won't match a RWD BMW. The X308 has a more favourable C of G and dynamic index but the car is heavier and softer riding.

Alot of effort was made to make the X type feel sporty: the front role centre was raised (over the CD132 platformed Mondeo) to give more steering feel, the steering ratio was actually slowed down- agian to provide more feel, roller bearings were used in the strut tops- again for steering feel.
A X type with sport suspension and B6s dampers fitted will be a sporty run about , but not ideal in extreme push to the limit track situation.

It comes into its own here on the serpentine roads, I certainly prefer its feel to my 2023 Acura Integra- although, obviously its no Lotus Elise.