X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 X Type gearbox fault ,please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 X Type gearbox fault ,please help!

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and I wanted to ask few questions about this car.
We bought this Jag about 5 years ago with about 50K on it. My wife liked the car and its run pretty good. I've changed out the disc's and brake pads and new tires, I use Castrol Synthetic oil.
We had like one throttle body cleaned and rebuilt but other than that not much problem with the car, thank God.

But the last two long trips she has taken, I mean it was just a down-poar of rain and huge thunderstorms. Well, both trips, one on the way back and now last weekend shes about 200 miles from home and the car starts jerking and bucking violently throwing off the gearbox fault light and engine kicking out high RPM"s at low speeds.

She bucked and limped home on the back roads. The car would smooth out and run fine for a while and then start bucking again. She finally cancelled the trip and got back home.
I have read through many of the threads on this issue and have found that indeed, people that lose the cruise control with this car along with a gearbox fault in heavy rain,moisure in the throttle body,TCM,ECM. The car starts to buck and limp and rev, only when she encountered the wet weather.REALLY raining.
So I'm hoping it could be the TCM can't take that kind of moisture.
Everyone is screaming to change the trans fluid. I have gotten a real education about these JATCO 506 trannys, not looking forward to trying to monkey with this type of transmission. From what I'm reading it's not easy to flush and change at all. It has 64K on it now. We have only driven the car 15k or so in 5 years.

I'm gonna get it in for maintenance ck the next few days. I've heard that a new TCM is about 800 bucks.

Thanks so much guys and gals .

Old 04-26-2010, 10:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a bad ignition coil that switched the knock sensor off, throwing the gear box code & cruse control ,the car could not rev more then 3000 rpm.

but yours sounds like you have a trans problem, these Xtypes are known to have a internal piston in the trans to crack not feeding the fluid to the shifting solenoids. or a it could be a bad shifting solenoid.

or the TCM as you said.

If its a bad solenoid though its a easy fix from the trans cover under the battery, If its the trans piston then you have to remove the driverside tire , loosen the top trans mount (driverside top)and remove the lower the 2 sub frame bolts on the driverside to bring the trans down a little then remove the trans side cover bolts and the piston is in there. Ive done it in 2hrs without removing the trans.

yes these cars can drive you nuts in repairs, luckly i do most of the repairs my self. want to buy another X-type?? im selling mine!!!

Last edited by vincek; 04-26-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Is this the same procedure for the reverse piston?

Old 04-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Water in the fuel.

Change out the fuel filter and add two jars of quality fuel dryer, and run only non-ethanol gasoline from now on.

That's my vote. Simple fix.