X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

on the 2002 X-type jag 2.5 how do you replace headlightr blubs

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default on the 2002 X-type jag 2.5 how do you replace headlightr blubs

Just wondering if Anyone has replaced their own headlight blubs - and how to troubleshoot why driver side is out - not lighting while passenger side is and can you use the cool blue halogen blubs at all? I'm the new guy on the block - here in San Diego, Ca. enjoy learning from experience any tips or procedures. Thanks Rayjag

Old 04-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Welcome to the forum Rayjag, you should stop by our new members area and introduce yourself there too ==>> New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I've moved your post from the General Tech Help to the X-Type section.

Getting the headlight bulbs out of an X-Type is quite frankly a PITA, you need very small hands with tough skin, it's incredibly fiddly to get at them.

Most workshops would prefer to remove the bumper and then the headlights to get easy access.

I'm guessing you don't have the Xenon lights, so changing to a whiter Halogen bulb is no problem, just getting access to them is!

Old 04-06-2014, 11:57 PM
Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Once you have removed the bumper once it can be done again in less than 10 mins.

Just be ready for rusted bolts, especially around then headlight units.

If you remove the light unit replace all the bulbs at the same time especially the indicators as they are tucked into the corners.

The handbook says remove the cover on the back of the light unit, but as Cambo said need child like hands to do it that way.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

I've done both sides, left-hand side (battery-side) twice, right-hand side (the hard one I think) once. It's never exactly nice or quick though, but what helps tremendously is a hook of some sort to assist in catching that wire clip when you put the cover back on.

However, as the owner of the Jaguar indie place I go to changed my headlight bulb (right-hand side, left-hand side I did myself in 10-15 minutes or so myself) in under a minute, I reckon I'll just go there from now on...

Old 04-07-2014, 07:03 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,924 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Rayjay, welcome to the Forums. Lots of good information here. Do as Cambo says and you will see what this place is like and find out why we are regarded as we are.

As for your headlight issue, I can help you there. The first thing we need to know is whether you have HID headlights or halogens. The simple check is to open the driver's door and see if you have a sticker in the door hinge (between the hinges) that states something about having "High Intensity Discharge lights .......". This will determine just hoe easy of a change this may be and also what type of headlight bulb you need as there are 2 possibilities.

As for accessing the bulbs (either style), you have very limited space if the headlight housings are still installed in the car. Then add in the fact that due to age, the internals of the headlights become brittle, it becomes very easy to break the internals if you press too hard. So, it is probably better part of valor to remove the bumper cover to do this replacement. Besides, if you have a headlight that is not playing nice, you may need the headlight assembly free anyways.

Let me check the diagrams to make sure what fuses are for the headlights. Odds are it is something simple like the fuse blew due to age and you can be back on the road 100% in a matter of a few minutes. Otherwise we can help you diagnose where you are loosing power. How are you with using a multimeter? I am just trying to figure out how much detail I need to give to you should it come to that.