X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 X type rear drive shaft, front mounting flange

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 X type rear drive shaft, front mounting flange

I have a question, the round flange that bolts the rear driveshaft to the transfer case is clicking loudly and the mounting bolts keep coming loose.

The clicking noise sounds exactly like a dry u joint in my old 1 ton Chevy truck right before it is about to explode.

Question is can I service this flange bearing thing, or am I buying a new rear driveshaft, Google search did me no good, could not even find schematics for the rear shaft with some part numbers or something helpful.

The tires are all the same size, tire pressure is the same. It acts like a part time 4 wheel drive truck that is locked in 4 wheel on pavement, like the noise is generated because the fronts are fighting the rear, if that makes any sense.

Thanks Tim

Old 09-10-2014, 08:08 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

snafu, I know you can replace the u-joints. They press out like any other u-joint that you may have done. As for finding a replacement, unless you find a part numbe somewhere, what you may end up doing is popping the u-joint out and then using a micrometer to measure the caps. You will need the diameter of the caps and from there the parts place can cross reference the u-joint to one that they will be able to get for you.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found the schematics in the Workshop Manual.

Here > https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...essories-5915/

Like you say Thermo they are in fact called u joints but the only one that is cross style is the middle one The front and rear u joints as they call them are a little different.

Front and rear u joints are a round flange with 6 bolt holes that mate just like any other flange type that I have seen However unless there is a tiny u joint inside this round 6 bolt flange I am lost.

There are no part numbers on the schematics in the workshop manual however they do show me a picture and what they call the parts, wish I could post the picture but it is in a PDF Adobe file and exporting it here is beyond me.

I tried some of the Jag parts places on line and the offer the cross style u joint in the middle, no one seems to mention the front and rear u joint part numbers a picture nothing I can find at the moment

Really need to sharpen my google search skills, Anyways Thanks for the heads up Thermo on the u joint thing thought I was losing my mind on what to call them.