X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 X type 2 Weird Noises

Old 04-13-2015, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 X type 2 Weird Noises

Hi. My mom bought this 03 x type brand new and just passed it down to me about a year ago. I am now hearing a noise similar to a propeller from 35-50mph. The steering wheel also starts shaking/vibrating after 55mph. I don't know if the noise stops after 50mph or just the wind/road noise is just a lot louder. The second noise I am hearing is a whining noise only when I am in reverse and usually when it is cold out. I just had the PCV hose changed at Meineike. I also told them about the two noises and they said it could be because of the torn PCV hose and that if the noises are still there bring it back. I haven't called them yet because I have just been so busy. I have also noticed a late shift and feel a jerk occasionally when going from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. Any thoughts on what the noises could be? It is a 2.5 Automatic AWD. Thanks

Also I am new to this site. Does anyone know how I can upload a video on my phone to here. I will try to record the sounds as soon as I can.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:57 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

SS1087
Welcome to the forum tons of information on here but please stop by the new member area and introduce yourself.

How many miles are on the car?

I am not to far away from you in Lititz Pa.
I could meet you somewhere and take a look/listen
I also work in York.

Try rotating you tires see if the noise moves and the vibration goes away.
are you able to work on the car or do you use a garage? I would recommend at a minimum changing the transfer case fluid. also some grease on the center carrier bearing. plenty of info here if you take a look.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Paulc732
SS1087
Welcome to the forum tons of information on here but please stop by the new member area and introduce yourself.

I also work in York.

are you able to work on the car or do you use a garage? I would recommend at a minimum changing the transfer case fluid. also some grease on the center carrier bearing. plenty of info here if you take a look.
Hi Paul. Thanks for replying to me. The car has almost 82,000 miles. I had my tires changed at around 73,000 miles at Costco. And back in January of this year I had a minor accident in the snow. Long story short, I slid into a curb and had to get the ball joint, control arm and left wheel bearing changed (the left side of the car hit the curb). I had all that work done at the dealership and they realigned the wheels too. I read somewhere else that a wheel bearing noise doesn't always mean a worn out wheel bearing. Is this true?

Old 04-14-2015, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Paulc732
SS1087

I also work in York.

Oh and I forgot to add in my last post. My best guess would be that the wheel bearing sound is coming from the front right but I could be wrong. I don't have access to be able to lift it because I don't know anyone that I trust that has a garage. I have taken a video of the sounds. I plan on posting it to youtube and leaving the link here. Would that work?

Old 04-14-2015, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

You could confirm if it is a wheel bearing if when driving it and you turned the wheel one way or the other and the noise started or stopped.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:46 PM

Alfadude I've been searching for a 05 Manual X-type 3.0 for the past 8 months HOW!

Also SS since you mentioned the cold factor it could also be your Centre carrier bearing, Jaguar didn't lube these properly so alot of X-types have this issue, if you're lucky you can just get a grease gun and grease it up if the rubber on the carrier bearing is all rusty/cracked then you got a fun job ahead of ya

Old 04-15-2015, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=DrRedAxel;1206762]Alfadude I've been searching for a 05 Manual X-type 3.0 for the past 8 months HOW!

It took me a lot of searching back in 2008 when I bought it. I wasn't in a hurry and wanted 3.0, manual, Aruba wheels and the carbon fiber/alcantara interior. Took me 6 months of searching and I bought it in Springfield, MO and drove it back to Milwaukee. Got it for a song at the time because of the economy. Have had it over 6.5 years now. Been a great car and extremely reliable. Still looks and runs great, but I have to confess, am thinking about getting something else just because I have had it so long

Old 04-16-2015, 11:05 AM

If you are indeed looking to get rid of it, I would be much obliged to see it, I as well have an 05 X-type but it's a 3.0 Base model and the one you have is the one i'm seeking as long as it's miles aren't too high

Old 04-16-2015, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

I'll keep you in mind when the time comes.

It has 146K on it right now with about 105K of that put on by me.