X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 X-type navigation

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 X-type navigation

I have a 2003 X-type with an issue with the navigation system. The GPS works fine, but there are no voice commands anymore. Also, the CD player is no longer working. I was told that it is an issue with the main unit in the dash and the entire unit would have to be replaced. The dealer wants almost $3000 to fix it, and I am not trying to spend that kind of money. My question is if I purchased a used unit what info. (if any) do I need other than knowing the used unit came from another 2003 X-type. Also, is it possible to have the unit programmed/installed by anyone other than the local dealer?

Old 03-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

If you are going to get a used head unit, you need the full VIN from the automobile that it was obtained from. It is preferable to have that person (the one the car is titled to) obtain the access code for the radio before you buy it. Radios like the one you are looking at have very restricted ways to obtain the code for the radio. In most cases, this requires the registered owner to go to a Jaguar dealership to obtain the code. Some times you can get the dealership to give you the code to a used radio if you can provide a receipt and the full VIN of the other car that it was obtained from.

The following users liked this post:
jrm1111 (03-19-2012)
Old 03-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Ok, this is easy to debug yourself. For those of us who retrofitted the SatNav, we are now too familiar with the system.

Senario 1:

Worst case scenario the CD player portion of the head-unit is defective and not sending (or receiving) the optical fiber signal which obviously makes the CD changer and Nav voice work. To test it, press Eject + AM/FM at the same time (you'll see regional settings menu), then immediately press Eject + Mix and you'll see a "MAIN" device and it's firmware version. Pressing Eject + Mix again (and again) will loop through all the devices attached via the optical fiber cable (CD CHANGER, NAV, etc). If you only get "MAIN" device to show up (which is basically the head-unit), then you know the CD player portion is defective. You can get one used for like $100. In a matter of fact, I have one extra that came with the touchscreen I got if you're interested. PM for a price. It takes 30 mins to change it over yourself.

And no, for some reason the CD unit that comes with the touchscreen isn't locked, so you don't need to worry about tracking the VIN. Trust me, I know.

Scenario 2:

Does the radio mute when you expect to hear a voice command? If so, did you know that the there is a separate volume control for the Nav voice? Basically, when the radio mutes and you're expecting to hear a voice command, turn the volume knob up, you'll see the volume control for the voice command show up, something like -4 to +4 (can't remember exactly). It happened to me once and drove me crazy thinking it was broke. I guess I turned the volume down by accident.

The following users liked this post:
jrm1111 (03-19-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 02:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 X Type Navigation

Thanks Spielnicht for your advice. Did what you said and I got a reading "Main 1.344" on the screen. Nothing else would come up no matter how many times I hit Eject + mix. I had another CD changer already, so I installed it but still nothing. When I hit the "CD" button on the main unit I also get nothing - not even "CDC ERROR" message. The volume on the GPS is already turned up, so unfortunately that fix didn't help.
But, I appreciate the help you gave, and if you have any other ideas, let me know.

JRM1111