X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 X-Type no crank/no start

Old 07-23-2016, 09:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, with #10 relay out, I connected 3 + 5 while my wife turned the ignition to start. The starter engaged nicely but the engine would not start.

Bob

Old 07-23-2016, 10:32 AM

By the way, 12.5 volts on #5.

Bob

Old 07-23-2016, 10:54 AM

Also, assuming I am using the tool correctly, I am getting no resistance on 2 with the ignition on or off or even with it turned to start. to confirm, I put a test lead against #2 and hooked my test light to it. With the key to start there was no light, I am now totally lost as I have power to #5 (12.5V), when I turn the key to start #1 puts out 12.3V with the key turned to start.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

LittleJag, based on what you are saying, it would appear that your ECU has bitten the dust. I say this based on the fact that it appears based on what you are saying that all the security stuff is working like it should. So, the problem is not getting power to the coils.

I would do the two more things. First, swap relays R9 and R10 and attempt to start the car to make sure conditions do not change (since the car will roll over with the jumper between 3 and 5, this is telling me that the relay is not actuating and since you say that Pin 2 was a low resistance, this would indicate that the relay may not be functioning). The second thing would be to check the coil fuse to make sure that is good. After that, I am out of ideas. This is where someone with a proper computer could check things out in no time flat and tell you what is wrong.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:07 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Question for more experienced members here: Would a bad crankshaft position sensor keep this engine from turning over? It's readily accessible under air cleaner box.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:31 PM
Veteran member

swingwing, the motor will still run with a bad crankshaft sensor. What will happen is the car will attempt to use the camshaft sensor to determine when to fire the spark plugs. It can calculate how fast the engine is rotating and then divide that up to figure out when to fire each cylinder.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:57 PM
Default Update

I have an update to this saga. I bought a scanner that will read Jag codes and was getting a communication error between cluster and ECU message. As there is no Jaguar dealer within 75 miles of me I called several local repair shops specializing in European cars and found one who swore they could repair Jaguars after I told them what I found. So I had it flatbed towed there and just got the call that they have tested everything and the fault lies in the cluster. But now he tells me that he can't program Jaguar computers and is not sure if a simple cluster change will work or if I will need to tow it to a Jaguar dealer for programming. Now, on ebay I have found a number of clusters with the same part number except for the two letter suffix and two with the same suffix. So now my question is does anyone know if I will need to have it programmed if I get the exact same unit including suffix or if it will communicate with the ECU when installed without programming?

I am getting closer to getting this back on the road and again I thank everyone who has offered suggestions and tried to help so far. I hope this exercise will be helpful to others.

Thanks,

Bob

Old 08-08-2016, 09:02 PM
Veteran member

Bob, unfortunately, the cluster is one of those things that you have to get programmed. The reason why I say this is because the instrument cluster has the key numbers saved inside of it. So, if you put another instrument cluster into the car, it may display and do everything that it should, but when you go to start the car, it is going to see your key, compare it to the list of keys that it has stored in its memory and not find a match. The cluster will then send a message to the ECM to not fire since it thinks it is getting stolen.

On a side note, the last two digits of the part number is the version number. Getting atleast the correct version you might be able to get away with having a lock smith program the keys into the car using their special computer. If you get a different version, then it is hard to say what will happen. Odds are it will still indicate, but you may loose some functions or have funny indications of things.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:40 AM

Thanks again for all the help Thermo. Guess I have to bite the bullet and get a towing quote versus the cost to rent a truck and trailer at U-Haul. Not going to be cheap regardless. At least I will buy the exact match and have the shop that has the car install it. Then I will get it out the closest dealer to get it programmed. But I will call Jaguar this morning to see if there are any other options. I am surprised that Ford can't reprogram it as it is really a European Ford (I know, sorry). It will end up costing me $600 or more but it could be worse I suppose.

Bob

Old 08-12-2016, 02:41 PM

To bring this up to date in hopes it helps others, I bought a used dash on ebay (must make sure to match the part number exactly including suffix). Before installing it the error message said "communication error between instrument cluster and ECU. With the used cluster installed it says "security warning" meaning it does not recognize the key so it must be programmed. But at least there is a signal. So as I write this, the car is on its way to the nearest Jaguar dealer 80 miles away on a flatbed and will be arriving at any time now. I was quoted about $150 by Jaguar and the local guy charged me $140. The gauges were $110 delivered and towing was $320 So at the end of the day we will have about $750 into this unless Jag finds something else and the local guy did a complete scan and gave me a copy showing everything else was in the green so there should be no surprises. I will confirm the total when it is done and we drive out to pick it up and I should mention that Jaguar initially quoted $1,250 for a new unit.

Thanks again for all who offered advice and I hope this may help others who have a similar issue in the future.

Bob

Old 08-16-2016, 09:54 AM
Default Finally running again

So, just to finalize this thread, the Jaguar dealer reprogrammed the computer and the car is running fine again. They charged $240 (after quoting $150) and when I questioned it, after stumbling for awhile the response was it took longer to program than they expected, which I just looked at the guy and asked why that was. He went into some speech about there being three different components that needed to be programmed and he originally thought only one needed to be programmed. Rather than argue we just paid him and left. What can you do? Still, at the end of the day the total cost was far less than what they wanted to charge for a new cluster and my wife has her car back.

So a final thank you to those who offered advice, especially to Thermo who went out of his way to help. I hope this experience helps others.

Bob

Old 02-03-2017, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you ever solve the problem my jag has the same issue

Old 02-03-2017, 07:33 AM

Yes, it is fixed. It was a short in the instrument cluster. I bought a decent scanner and when I plugged it in it showed a communication error between the cluster and the computer. So I went online, bought a used cluster from eBay (making sure it was the same model number as what I had) and after installation I had to tow the car to Jaguar to reprogram the computer to accept the new cluster. Then it worked fine and has been fine ever since. The cluster was not terribly expensive but I bent over for Jaguar to spend 10 minutes reprogramming the computer, not to mention for the flatbed tow. But you apparently have no choice as I was told that the software is proprietary and Jaguar will not license anyone beyond Jaguar to have it.

Good luck. I suppose a way around the programming might be if you bought a used cluster, ECM, and security computer from the same car and installed them all, but that would likely cost as much as Jaguar reprogramming.

Bob

The following users liked this post:
jazzymom4750 (06-15-2019)
Old 02-07-2017, 05:53 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

LittleJag I really appreciate you following up on here with your success. Lots of us have similar problems and it really makes the threads and forum great when there is a solid solution and step by step trial and error. Not to mention the always good advice from Thermo. Thanks

Old 06-15-2019, 11:31 AM

LittleJag, Thank you so much for this info. I am having the same problems, have tried all the things you have tried except for the cluster. I will call my local jaguar dealer and see how much will cost to have a cluster reprogrammed.
Thermo, you are awesome with the advice you gave. Thank you

Old 06-17-2019, 03:22 PM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

Cambo can this cluster be reprogrammed using the IDS dealer tool?

Old 09-25-2020, 10:04 PM

Hello my car is doing the exact same. I towed it in to dealership they told me the ECU MODILE Is gone. The dealership quoted 3k for part. So what actually was the problem?

Old 09-26-2020, 06:21 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LATRICA JACKSON
Hello my car is doing the exact same. I towed it in to dealership they told me the ECU MODILE Is gone. The dealership quoted 3k for part. So what actually was the problem?
1st none of us have looked at your car to diagnose it so my recommendation would be to take it to a local independent Jag service shop for a second opinion. I don't really trust dealers.. You may have to search for one.

2nd the computer rarely goes bad, but it does happen occasionally. With this the odds are that the dealer is incorrect, but you never know. It could be anything as small as a short somewhere or fuse to needing a new computer. Worst case an independent Jag shop can find and reprogram a used one which will save you a lot of money.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:37 PM
Veteran member

Latrica, like Lemons said, telling us your model and year will help us better diagnose things (there are oddities for every year and model). The dealership should have given you a price quote and on that quote should be some information that will help us. You should see somewhere where it talks about "investigated vehicle, found to contain the following codes: P....... These codes are going to most likely be the letter P followed by 4 numbers. If you have an x-type that is near 2008, you may see P with mainly numbers, but a letter tossed in there too. Send us whatever code(s) you have. These codes are fairly specific and can help us potentially confirm what the dealership is saying. Granted, along those lines, have you had any other work done on the car in say the last month or so? It could be possible that if someone was working say inside the dash to put a new radio into the car, it can affect the data bus which could make the system think the ECU is bad. If you are unsure if something will be of use to us, tell us. We will see if it is applicable or not.