X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 xtype fuel tank leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 01:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2003 xtype fuel tank leak

Smelling increasing gas odor in driver compartment and outside vehicle.looked under car inspected fuel lines and fuel filter and for gas leaks on ground.
I looked under vehicle saw gas leakage on side of fuel tank appearing to leak from top of gas tank.I have 1/8 tank of gas will let it run as low as possible to remove tank and see cause of gas leakage.

Anyone have any experience in diagnosing problem or removal of gas tank? Mechanic friend will assist next weekend suggested this to be fire hazard and not use vehicle and run gas tank lower if safely possible.mechanic friend suspects leaking gaskets on fuel pump or fuel line leaking going to fuel pump or cracked gas tank.Car is running fine fyi and driveable but gas odor has made it unbearable to sit in.We lifted rear seat and removed gasket to inspect area only smelled increased gas odor did not see any access to top of gas tank only one port.

Any input or recommendations would be appreciated ????

Old 11-06-2015, 05:37 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

check out my post on removing the gas tank.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...al-how-143763/

also check out Dr Dome he is parting out a few X types he will be able to hook you up with parts.

The following users liked this post:
Pablo picasso (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 09:39 AM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Pablo: Open Paul's thread, then click the picture of the fuel tank several times until it blows up (figuratively speaking ) to full screen.

The fuel tank is one big plastic jug, like a milk container, but of course bigger and stronger. And like a milk container, all openings are in the top:
Opening #1) Fuel fill line in the right, back corner (sealed with white plastic & black tape)
Opening #2) Vapor recovery, charcoal canister line in the center, back (sealed with blue plastic & black tape)
Opening #3) Fuel pump white fitting and black hose in the right, front corner. Beneath this white disk is the fuel pump and fuel level sensor
Opening #4) White disk in left, front corner, beneath which is a 2nd fuel level sensor and suction hose to draw fuel from both sides of the tank.

There are only 5 openings for fuel to leak from the tank:
Openings #1 to #4) All atop the tank
Opening #5) A puncture in the tank bottom, e.g., from road debris

We can rule out #5 - since you see fuel leaking from near the top of the tank.

We can also rule out #1 (fuel fill line), #2 (vapor recovery) and #4 (left level sensor) since fuel leaks from the tank when it's only 1/8th full. Fuel can't flow uphill and out these openings, unless the hole is so big that fuel is sloshing out during a hard turn or hard stops. Possible, but unlikely.

That leaves #3, the fuel pump opening. Does it leak under the right rear door, in front of the right rear tire, by the fuel pump and fuel lines? That's the only spot where fuel is pumped uphill and can leak out the top of a 1/8th full tank.

Before proceeding, be sensible around gasoline: fire extinguisher, water hose, 2 people, not inside the garage, no power tools, no smoking, dissipate static electricity, etc.

Lift the rear seat lower cushion - pull up hard on both front corners.
Beneath the seat is a ~5 inch rubber disk. Remove it, but leave the wires connected that run thru it.

Next: lower the tank to better view the top, so you can see where fuel is leaking.

Raise the rear of the car, e.g., onto ramps (block the front tires), and slide under until you see the front of the fuel tank. Two metal straps hold the tank to the bottom of the car, each secured by a single bolt at the front of the tank. Loosen both bolts (they'll feel rusted, but it's blue Locktite on the threads), and lower the front of the tank onto boards and jack stands to support the weight. Your 1/8th full tank weighs ~30 pounds. A full tank weighs 100+ pounds.

Tilt the tank slightly so the front corner with the fuel pump is a little lower, for a better view.

Ventilate around the fuel tank to clear any fuels. Then turn the key to the run position II (not start, just run), while placing your hand on the fuel tank. You'll feel the gentle hum of the fuel pump running for ~5-10 seconds, then turn off. This primes the pump and pressurizes the fuel line and fuel rail prior to starting the engine. When the pump runs, can you see any fuel leaking from the white fitting or the black fuel line atop the tank? A small mirror helps to see around corners.

Once you locate the leak, decide if you need to drop the fuel tank, e.g., to replace the fuel pump if the white fitting is cracked. If you're lucky, the leak will be in the black fuel line from the pump to the fuel filter, which you can replace without dropping the tank.

Let us know what you find and how it goes.

Last edited by dwclapp; 11-06-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Pablo picasso (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 08:16 PM

Thank you dwclapp and Paul for very insiteful responses.
I have read the information you both sent . We did try and view top of tank through access port on rear seat.But ill guess we will start buy dwclapp suggestion next weeekend of dropping tank and identyfying where is leak before removal.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

I have a tank for you if that is what is needed. pm me and Let me know.

Good luck,
The Dr!

Old 11-18-2015, 04:39 PM
Default Fuel leak found

Originally Posted by dwclapp
Pablo: Open Paul's thread, then click the picture of the fuel tank several times until it blows up (figuratively speaking ) to full screen.

The fuel tank is one big plastic jug, like a milk container, but of course bigger and stronger. And like a milk container, all openings are in the top:
Opening #1) Fuel fill line in the right, back corner (sealed with white plastic & black tape)
Opening #2) Vapor recovery, charcoal canister line in the center, back (sealed with blue plastic & black tape)
Opening #3) Fuel pump white fitting and black hose in the right, front corner. Beneath this white disk is the fuel pump and fuel level sensor
Opening #4) White disk in left, front corner, beneath which is a 2nd fuel level sensor and suction hose to draw fuel from both sides of the tank.

There are only 5 openings for fuel to leak from the tank:
Openings #1 to #4) All atop the tank
Opening #5) A puncture in the tank bottom, e.g., from road debris

We can rule out #5 - since you see fuel leaking from near the top of the tank.

We can also rule out #1 (fuel fill line), #2 (vapor recovery) and #4 (left level sensor) since fuel leaks from the tank when it's only 1/8th full. Fuel can't flow uphill and out these openings, unless the hole is so big that fuel is sloshing out during a hard turn or hard stops. Possible, but unlikely.

That leaves #3, the fuel pump opening. Does it leak under the right rear door, in front of the right rear tire, by the fuel pump and fuel lines? That's the only spot where fuel is pumped uphill and can leak out the top of a 1/8th full tank.

Before proceeding, be sensible around gasoline: fire extinguisher, water hose, 2 people, not inside the garage, no power tools, no smoking, dissipate static electricity, etc.

Lift the rear seat lower cushion - pull up hard on both front corners.
Beneath the seat is a ~5 inch rubber disk. Remove it, but leave the wires connected that run thru it.

Next: lower the tank to better view the top, so you can see where fuel is leaking.

Raise the rear of the car, e.g., onto ramps (block the front tires), and slide under until you see the front of the fuel tank. Two metal straps hold the tank to the bottom of the car, each secured by a single bolt at the front of the tank. Loosen both bolts (they'll feel rusted, but it's blue Locktite on the threads), and lower the front of the tank onto boards and jack stands to support the weight. Your 1/8th full tank weighs ~30 pounds. A full tank weighs 100+ pounds.

Tilt the tank slightly so the front corner with the fuel pump is a little lower, for a better view.

Ventilate around the fuel tank to clear any fuels. Then turn the key to the run position II (not start, just run), while placing your hand on the fuel tank. You'll feel the gentle hum of the fuel pump running for ~5-10 seconds, then turn off. This primes the pump and pressurizes the fuel line and fuel rail prior to starting the engine. When the pump runs, can you see any fuel leaking from the white fitting or the black fuel line atop the tank? A small mirror helps to see around corners.

Once you locate the leak, decide if you need to drop the fuel tank, e.g., to replace the fuel pump if the white fitting is cracked. If you're lucky, the leak will be in the black fuel line from the pump to the fuel filter, which you can replace without dropping the tank.

Let us know what you find and how it goes.

White connector leaks when priming fuel pump

Blown up view of fuel leak white tip

Old 11-18-2015, 04:41 PM
Default Fuel leak

Originally Posted by Dr dome

Good luck,
The Dr!
Thanks i found leak ...coming from fuel pump white connection nozzle on top of fuel tank

Old 11-18-2015, 04:52 PM
Default Fuel pump

Originally Posted by Dr dome

Good luck,
The Dr!
Would you have the fuel pump for 2002 xtype on passenger side ?? My white fitting is leaking on top of fuel tank and possbly seal that goes around fuel pump assembly?

Old 11-18-2015, 06:54 PM

Pablo: If I understand correctly, when the fuel pump runs, and only when it runs, you see fuel leaking either from a crack in the white L-shaped fitting atop the fuel pump, or from a loose connection between the black fuel line and white fitting, or perhaps a crack in the black connector / black fuel line. Can you tell where?

If it leaks only when the fuel pump runs, the leak must be from these pressurized lines, not from under the large white retaining ring.

If the white fitting is cracked, that's molded into the top of the fuel pump canister, so you'll need to replace the entire canister.

If it's a loose connection, try disconnecting and reconnecting the black hose to the white fitting. To release the black connector, press down on the quick disconnect - see red arrow in attached picture - while gently pulling the black hose off of the white fitting. When the hose is off, do you see any cracks in it?

These hoses and fittings are hard to reach and well protected from heat and flying road debris, so it's odd that something would cause them to crack and leak. Was any work done in this area recently?

Attached Thumbnails 2003 xtype fuel tank leak-jaguar-x-type-fuel-pump-connector.png  
Old 11-18-2015, 07:46 PM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

I will see if I have one. I know I have one from a 05 but that will not work for you.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:47 PM

Dwclapp
Yes it is leaking from white L fitting when I prime fuel pump when i turn key in ignition switch but not turning vehicle on.I dropped tank and kept fuel pump connected as suggested in thread on wood block.

Last edited by Pablo picasso; 11-18-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:55 PM

Pablo: No doubt it's time for a new fuel pump canister. If your fuel pump has a lot of mileage, say 80+ Kmiles, then I would replace the pump and canister at the same time. Old fuel pumps become temperamental and eventually fail, sometimes without warning.

Here's one example from PartsGeek for $276 including S&H: 2002-2003 Jaguar X Type Fuel Pump - Airtex E8576M - - PartsGeek.com

Pablo picasso (11-18-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 10:27 PM
Default Thank you

Thank you I will look around for best pricing and availabilty for 2002 fuel pump assemblies... Thank you for link to part geek.