X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 X Type "Gearbox Fault"

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2004 X Type "Gearbox Fault"

Well, after doing a lot of reading on here, I see I have some things to check. I'm going today to buy a code reader. After disconecting my battery, the faults are still showing up. Hopefully I can get my baby back on the road. This being my first Jaguar, (Love at first sight) I want it to be a lasting relationship.......

Old 07-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Billdalo
Well, after doing a lot of reading on here, I see I have some things to check. I'm going today to buy a code reader. After disconecting my battery, the faults are still showing up. Hopefully I can get my baby back on the road. This being my first Jaguar, (Love at first sight) I want it to be a lasting relationship.......
It almost seems you dont have an X until you get the gearbox fault. you didn't say if it came with the cruise not available. If it did likely you have a vacuum leak. If not you might have a moisture issue with the TCM. TCM sits under the dash behind the fuse box, it is a PITA to remove but cheaper than getting the dealer to look and tell you it's a 1300.00 part you need. Usually you can clean it up and it will work fine.

Mine was caused by a fauly windshield replacement, had it corrected and no issue since.

The following users liked this post:
Billdalo (07-11-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Default 2004 X Type Gearbox Fault

Yep, it's a 2004 X Type 3.0. I didn't get the cruise control fault. Just a amber light and the Gearbox Fault. But, after driving it home in limp mode, all the lights came on and the gauges quit working. Now as it sits in my driveway, The check engine light is on and I have a yellow and red check light on. Of coarse, it still says gearbox fault. I read your posts about the moisture and funny thig, it was the first time it rained while I was cruising on the highway at 65mph with the cruise control on. I had washed it several times already and did some driving in a rain but at slower speeds around town. I seen what you mean about getting to it under the dash. At 60yo I think I might have the 14yo grandkid come over and I'll supervise. Thanks for your many informitive posts. At least now I'm understanding her a little better. Wish me luck. I'll let you know how it goes. Oh, one other thing, when I get my code reader, will that clear the codes so the lights and gear box faults go off? Thanks a gain....Bill

Old 07-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, it's a 2004 X Type 3.0. I didn't get the cruise control fault. Just a amber light and the Gearbox Fault. But, after driving it home in limp mode, all the lights came on and the gauges quit working. Now as it sits in my driveway, The check engine light is on and I have a yellow and red check light on. Of coarse, it still says gearbox fault. I read your posts about the moisture and funny thig, it was the first time it rained while I was cruising on the highway at 65mph with the cruise control on. I had washed it several times already and did some driving in a rain but at slower speeds around town. I seen what you mean about getting to it under the dash. At 60yo I think I might have the 14yo grandkid come over and I'll supervise. Thanks for your many informitive posts. At least now I'm understanding her a little better. Wish me luck. I'll let you know how it goes. Oh, one other thing, when I get my code reader, will that clear the codes so the lights and gear box faults go off? Thanks a gain....Bill
You can erase the codes, but unless that moisture issue is cleared up they will return. Mine did exactly what yours is doing, first the gearbox fault, by the time I got it to the dealer every light was on the dash, and no gauges. I'll bet yours is not the original windshield.

Another temp fix is to take off the TCM, zap strap it above everything as much as the wires allow in any case and have the connection facing down.

The following users liked this post:
Billdalo (07-11-2011)
Old 07-16-2011, 03:02 PM

Well, I finally got a code reader (of coarse it had to be the big buck one) to check the codes. All that came up was code P1000. I believe that is just a generic code. All my lights are off now and the tranmission is shifting normally. Sidewalkman, apparently you are right about the moisture problem. I don't know if my windshield has ever been replaced but now I'm in the process of finding where the water may be coming from. I think I'm still going to use your temporary fix idea of zip tying the TCM and putting a baggy around it until I get the moisture problem fixed. I'm going to seal the areas where the wires come through the dash and look at getting the windsheild resealed. I'll post more as I get things done and let you know what leakage problems I find. Sidewalkman, thanks again for all of your informative posts. You have answered many questions I had just by reading all of your posts. I have to thank Jaguar Forums too. This site really has a lot of information and I'm happy to have found it.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I finally got a code reader (of coarse it had to be the big buck one) to check the codes. All that came up was code P1000. I believe that is just a generic code. All my lights are off now and the tranmission is shifting normally. Sidewalkman, apparently you are right about the moisture problem. I don't know if my windshield has ever been replaced but now I'm in the process of finding where the water may be coming from. I think I'm still going to use your temporary fix idea of zip tying the TCM and putting a baggy around it until I get the moisture problem fixed. I'm going to seal the areas where the wires come through the dash and look at getting the windsheild resealed. I'll post more as I get things done and let you know what leakage problems I find. Sidewalkman, thanks again for all of your informative posts. You have answered many questions I had just by reading all of your posts. I have to thank Jaguar Forums too. This site really has a lot of information and I'm happy to have found it.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Did u get problem fix

Old 06-20-2014, 12:41 AM
Default TCM location

Hello there. I was reading ur posts regarding The TCM Moisture issues. I have the same problem. I tried to locate the TCM by the driver side over the fuse box but I didn't see it. Do I have to take out the dash to get to it?

Old 06-20-2014, 07:14 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Greddy2
Hello there. I was reading ur posts regarding The TCM Moisture issues. I have the same problem. I tried to locate the TCM by the driver side over the fuse box but I didn't see it. Do I have to take out the dash to get to it?
It's located right behind the fuse box no you don't need to take out the whole dash - it's a pretty tight place but you could maneuver if you got the right tools all you really are going to need is a ranch small one all bolts are the same size actually forgot which size action is that we know is a real small one first thing you have to detach is the rain sensor which is located right on top of the TCM then there is a bracket that covers the TCM you have to loosen those two boats the hard one is always on top to give you more room you can actually loosen up the fuse box or even take it out after taking out the Brackey there will also be two more bolts holding the TCM and place after removing those boats TCM will be able to be taken out it will be a trap with multiple wires connected into it all you have to do is pull outs and it would disconnect- if you can't see it I advise you to Google pictures and images of the TCM and also the rain sensor so when you're down there looking you can see them- very very easy to take apart especially when you did it a couple times is very simple what's again just getting very small ranch it is a small socket I forgot exactly what size deal all bolts are the same size- I waterproof minds by using electrical grease spray for the connector I opened it up to TCM make sure there's no corrosion no water at all and I covered it TCM with roof tape I also used the roof tape to tape up the surrounding area where the TCM is located also did the same with the ECM which is located on the passenger side under the glove department have to first loosen up a security bowl which is located on top you must look under the hood top left you'll see the ECM wire harness connector with a five star security ball

Old 06-05-2018, 09:11 PM
Default Gearbox fault nightmare

I have a 04 jag x-type. I bought a used tcm. It worked for 5 mins then all the lights came on and it messed up again. Anybody have any ideas? Trying to sell car don't really want to have to try and buy a new one, if they are even available any more Please help!

Old 03-27-2023, 05:49 PM
Default Please add a photo w your explanation it would help even a screenshot or something

Originally Posted by magicjuan17
It's located right behind the fuse box no you don't need to take out the whole dash - it's a pretty tight place but you could maneuver if you got the right tools all you really are going to need is a ranch small one all bolts are the same size actually forgot which size action is that we know is a real small one first thing you have to detach is the rain sensor which is located right on top of the TCM then there is a bracket that covers the TCM you have to loosen those two boats the hard one is always on top to give you more room you can actually loosen up the fuse box or even take it out after taking out the Brackey there will also be two more bolts holding the TCM and place after removing those boats TCM will be able to be taken out it will be a trap with multiple wires connected into it all you have to do is pull outs and it would disconnect- if you can't see it I advise you to Google pictures and images of the TCM and also the rain sensor so when you're down there looking you can see them- very very easy to take apart especially when you did it a couple times is very simple what's again just getting very small ranch it is a small socket I forgot exactly what size deal all bolts are the same size- I waterproof minds by using electrical grease spray for the connector I opened it up to TCM make sure there's no corrosion no water at all and I covered it TCM with roof tape I also used the roof tape to tape up the surrounding area where the TCM is located also did the same with the ECM which is located on the passenger side under the glove department have to first loosen up a security bowl which is located on top you must look under the hood top left you'll see the ECM wire harness connector with a five star security ball