Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 X type Sport: Wheel Shaking @ +55 mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 X type Sport: Wheel Shaking @ +55 mph

Back Story:

So I've had the car for about 3 years bought used from a Jag dealer. Perfectly fine when bought used with about 100k on it.

Car has been in several fender benders if that's what you want to call it. Yet one time it was left at a parking lot while on vacation and they managed to put the car on a car lift and squish the roof only a tiny bit (has been replaced since then).
Car ran fine for quite some time, transmission went around 120k or so, was replaced and ran fine for about another 3k until what we thought was the transmission again which turned out to be a unidentifiable issue since it work again now and transmissions do not heal themselves. We think it is the fuel injector but anyways...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
The real issue (as of now):

Recently within the last year there has been a bad shake in the wheel when going speeds over 55 mph or so, sometimes its not bad at all and some times its awful. Usually worse when its hot out, and with the AC running (as also sucks due to the auto control thermostat on the car).
The shake worries me, I have yet to ask the dealer about it and I see that it is a common issue with this vehicle.

Just wondering what are the possible solutions or the issues before I take it to the dealer and tell me they don't know whats wrong and try to rip me off.

BTW HAVE HIT MANY CURBS... I am not proud of this but it happens.
Thanks!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

LoveIt, first off, welcome to the forums. I think you will find a lot of very knowledgeable people around here. But, first, we ask that you stop by the "New Member" section and introduce yourself. We are a friendly bunch (contrary to what others may think) and we like to get to know those that are around us. So, stop by, tell us a little about yourself and come joint the family. I think you will quickly figure out the movers and shakers around here.

Now, on to your problem. I would first recommend getting an alignment done on the car. It is my experience that if you have even a slight amount of toe in the car, the front wheels will fight each other and cause the steering wheel to shake. You can look at the inside edge of the front tires and get an idea if this is your problem as you will see the tires wearing a lot faster on that inside edge than the rest of the tread. While they are also doing this, you will want the tech to take a look at your lower ball joints and struts. If these are loose, that can lead to a vibration in the steering wheel.

But, before you go in for an alignment, try rotating the wheels front to back (not in an X pattern or other rotation where the left tires end up on the right side of the car) and seeing if the wobble changes. Because you admit to hitting a "few" curbs, it is possible you have a bent rim (the factory rims tend to bend easier than they should). If the shaking changes, get the wheels balanced and have the tech do a "run out" check of the rim. This will check for the straightness of the rim.

Hopefully this gets you back on the road with a solid steering feel.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright thanks a bunch I will see to all this when I return home from NY.