X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 X-Type parking brake

Old 07-16-2018, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2007 X-Type parking brake

Hi, I have changed the rotors and calipers both side. My problem is I can't get the e-bake back into position on the caliper on the passenger side and on the drivers side I can't get it out of the old caliper. Any suggestions??

passenger side, when i pull the arm back, I can't get the tip of cable to go in

Driver's side,can't get it to pull out of caliper

Old 07-16-2018, 12:42 PM
GGG
Received 16,748 Likes on 12,141 Posts

Welcome to the forum Lori,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 07-16-2018, 03:58 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,822 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Lori, i am going to state the obvious, but is the e-brake lever all the way down and not still up? Making the assumption that you have the e-brake lever all the way down, you should be able to pull the hex bit on the end of the cable some to git it out of the fitting. In a lot of cases, you should be able to then put this piece back into the lever.

Making the assumption that you can't, then you may have to go after things the harder way. What I mean by this is that you will need to remove the calipers off of both sides of the car and then push the piston back into the caliper as far as you can make it go (ie, using the special tool, spin the piston (in the correct direction) as you push in on the piston. This should cause the piston to go pretty much flush with the side of the caliper. From here, you should be able to slide the cable on one side pretty easy since the other side will have lots of play. You can then pull the cable on the other side as you use your thumb to push the e-brake lever towards the cable. This is where having some hand strength is going to be key as you will need to use some pliers to grab on to the cable say an inch (2.5 cm) down from the hex end of the cable so you can slide it under the lever and position it. Where the hard part is going to come into play and why you needed to remove the other side was that as you pull on the cable to make it fit to the lever, you are going to be engaging the e-brake lever on the other side. You backed the piston off to give you maximum travel before the piston pushes the pads against the rotor.

I cannot say that I ever experienced what you are experiencing with the multiple brake jobs I did on my X-Type. I will admit that it was awfully close in a lot of cases. But, between pulling on the cable and moving the e-brake lever towards the cable should give you plenty of cable to get it back on.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:56 PM

Yes, e-brake is all the way down. The cable will not budge. I just replaced calipers and rotors, am tying to reattach the parking brake on the passengers side. The arm will come all the way back, but I can't get it back far enough for the cable to "fasten". The other side, I can't even get off the caliper. Do you really need the e-brake??? I will run new lines if need be.
Thanks for your help

Old 07-16-2018, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Well, if your state requires a safety inspection yes. Sketchy to not have one even if it's not lawfully required.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:23 AM

1 down i still to go. Finally got drivers side to come off old caliper, but can't get it to go on new on.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:51 PM
Veteran member

Lori, humor me. If you crawl under the car to where the e-brake comes out the bottom of the car, you should see where a single cable comes to a metal bar that then splits into 2 cables. Each one of these cables should go to a rear tire. With the e-brake lever all the way down, does this piece have a lot of slack in it? If so, it may be possible that you have bad e-brake cables and they are binding up, making it so you can't pull the cable out enough to attach it.

Kinda like you should see the bar running side to side on the car and be perpendicular to the side of the car. If one side of it points towards a rear tire, then that is telling me that that cable is pulled too far in relation to the other cable. If you were to pull on the cable that you don't have installed yet, that should bring that bar to being perpendicular. If not, then you have a cable issue.

You may want to even give the bar a good tug to see if the cable running up into the e-brake has an issue. That could explain a lot of what is going on.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:30 PM

Okay got the e-brake back together, and brakes bled. Hubby says they feel funny. Do I need to do anything with the e-brake??? When we were bleeding, the passenger side wouldn't go to floor when he opened the nipple but the drivers side did. Yes we did passenger rear first and then drivers.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

Jaguar X type bleeding sequence is left (driver-US) rear, right rear, left front, right front. Use approved fluid. MUST bleed all 4.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

"FUNNY" is not really too helpful. Pedal spongy, pedal too far down to stop, brakes grabbing, what?

Old 07-21-2018, 06:10 PM
Veteran member

Lori, after bleeding the brakes, the only thing you need to do is run the e-brake lever up and down a few times. What you should feel is the first few times the lever will seem to go up way too high and then on a pull later, you will feel it start to catch lower. Do the e-brake lever a few more times such that you can raise the lever say 4-6 inches (10-15 cm) and it will get really hard. You will have now set the e-brake properly.

The "Funny feeling" that you are experiencing may be that the e-brakes are currently set to 2 different locations and the system is having to add very little fluid to one side and a lot to the other. Adjust the e-brake and see what you have then.