X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Time not starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 08:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2nd Time not starting

Have and 05 xtype 3.0. Car sits in garage, usually driven each day sometimes sits for 2 days. It just sat for 4 days and had to crank it several times for quite a bit. Tried pressing to the floor, still nothing. No gas smell when this happens. This is the 2nd time it has done this. After several tries you could tell it wanted to fire off, then a few more times it starts and then runs perfect. Stopped at the movies sat for 2 hours starts fine. Haven't done any troubleshooting. Should I look at codes? No lights on the dash. Could it be fuel filter? I would think that would cause the issue all the time? Need some guidance?

Old 10-27-2017, 08:52 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes, I could say replace the fuel filter.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:21 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It may not be fuel related, How old is your battery? do you lock it when it's in the garage? as when locked, electronic systems "sleep" Do you use a battery tender?

Old 10-28-2017, 08:57 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

lynnpt2001. When you find that your car will not start, try this. take the key back to the OFF position, then turn it to the RUN position (do not take it to the START position). Wait about 5 seconds (may even hear the fuel pump run momentarily and then turn off as it pressurizes the fuel line). After the 5 seconds, finish turning the key to the START position and see if the car starts right off then. If it does, then you have either a fuel filter that is clogged or your fuel pump is starting to go. Replace the fuel filter first and then if the problem continues, then odds are you have a bad fuel pump.

If this trick does not help, then you have other issues and we can look at those once you have done the above (this will normally fix things 99% of the time).

Old 10-29-2017, 11:58 AM

Thank you, not sure of the battery age as it came with the car when we purchased it last year. It only has to sit for 3 -4 days when this issue happens. I will try the fuel pump test to see if that makes a difference. does the fuel filter make sense, would a clogged filter cause the problem when accelerating. Not doubting just thinking logical. I can replace the filter as that is relatively simple. The pump is apparently anther story....

What about the battery could cause this, it is cranking over strong and has no issues, so wouldn't the voltage and current be good? It at for 8 days in july in the garage and started fine. this is happening recently

Old 10-29-2017, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Since you stated the problem is after a few days sitting then it is most likely the battery. A battery as low as 10 volts will turn over an engine but the low voltage plays havoc with the modules and the car won't start. Jaguar's don't like anything under 12 volts and most batteries are in the 12.5 to 13 volts at rest and as high as 14.5 when charging.
Get a load test done on the battery before ripping into fuel pumps.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:33 PM
Default I will check

Thank you for the reply any idea on how much current draw there is when the car is sitting in the garage if I were to check the current drain on the battery make sure nothing was pulling more than it should be

Old 10-29-2017, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

Current draw with the security system set and the computers asleep is in the mili amp range. It should be able to sit for a few days without causing the battery to go down. I have left mine for a couple weeks in airport parking and it started and ran fine. I can't impress enough Jaguars like strong batteries. My xk8 always lets me know: it throws stability control fault and cruise not available as soon as I start it when the battery is going.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:02 PM

Had the battery load tested today. Checks ok voltage went to 12.54 under load then back to 12.63 idle.

My gut tells me fuel pressure may be the issue, I will have to let it sit for a few days and check the pressure.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:09 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lynnpt2001
Have and 05 xtype 3.0. Car sits in garage, usually driven each day sometimes sits for 2 days. It just sat for 4 days and had to crank it several times for quite a bit. Tried pressing to the floor, still nothing. No gas smell when this happens. This is the 2nd time it has done this. After several tries you could tell it wanted to fire off, then a few more times it starts and then runs perfect. Stopped at the movies sat for 2 hours starts fine. Haven't done any troubleshooting. Should I look at codes? No lights on the dash. Could it be fuel filter? I would think that would cause the issue all the time? Need some guidance?
Have you serviced the car for normal wear?
What is the mileage on this car?

I would start with a new battery.
New ignition switch.
New fuel pump, filter.
New fuel pump.
Walter

Old 10-31-2017, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Just my input on my battery failure. Load tested fine, volts were above 12. BUT...... When I replaced the battery (after a $15,000 machine test that found a bad/dying cell), at idle I get 14.5 Volts now and no more gremlin problems.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:51 PM

I do appreciate the feedback. Someone mentioned listening for the fuel pump to start at the key start position. I am not able to hear the pump at all. I did plug in my scanner, which only operates with engine running today and the pump pressure showed 54 - 56 lbs consistently. Regarding New Mexico asking about the normal wear items, I have 5 cars, and I do regular maintenance, brakes, fluids, trans, rear diff, coolants, my own timing belts, and more..... I never had a car where the fuel pump, ignition switch, and battery replacement were considered to be regular wear items. I appreciate the feedback. This car has 108K miles on it, I purchased it with 93K miles on it one year ago. If it was the switch why would it take 3-4 days of sitting to have an issue?

Old 10-31-2017, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

In reading your last comment a little bell rang in the back of my mind. You may be experiencing a parasitic drain. There are some usual suspects you can check. The easiest and most common is the small door that closes over the ignition once the key is removed. Insert and remove the key and observe as to whether the little door closes. If it doesn't spray with some lock lubricant and free it up.
The other are a little more difficult to observe. You need a camera or camera phone with video mode. Open the glove box and insert the recorder and close the glove box. Within a few seconds the light should go off. Repeat the same thing with the trunk/boot and observe that the light actually goes off.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:33 PM
Default Parasitic Drain

Thanks, I was trying to determine if someone knew the normal current drain, I could do a reading at the battery to see if it was more than normal. I will check these items....thanks

I just checked the door, it does not appear to close completely, it does start to ding when I insert the key slightly and stop when I remove it, I can see the door pushes upward so I believe it is acting normal. I did lube it just to be sure. Also the glove box light is going out when door is shut and the same with the trunk. If someone knows the current drain, I know it should be in milliamps but I can read that with a meter. I guess I could do a reading and see what I get currently.

Last edited by lynnpt2001; 10-31-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Search on quiescent

(It'll be something like less than 50mA after 40mins of nothing to trigger any module.)