X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.0 engine rebuild and re-install FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Well..you corrected what you said in your previous post. The original post made it seemed like you paid the $8,000. Anyways...where did you find that great deal???. I wonder if it might still be there. I would go buy two or three long blocks and resell them here for a tidy profit! Where was this place??? What is the name of the company??? Also, how much did you pay to have the engine installed and actually have your car running again? Just curious. My rebuild is $2800 including tear down and install. I'm pretty sure you spent more than than by a long shot to get your car running again, unless you also found a similar deal on labor rates. I bet in Chicago mechanics work almost for free right? But then again, you were able to find a Jaguar VVT 3.0 Liter long block for $2,000 which is literally a steal!! I wish I could have found a deal like that for myself. Sorry, I am actually teasing you. I really find it unbelievable that a brand spanking new Jaguar long block for an X type was found for $2000 two years ago. The simple laws of supply and demand make it an improbable find. Jaguar stopped manufacturing these engines many years before then...you do the math. Still, me being a trusting person, I would love to see if the merchant that you purchased your crate engine from might still have another one.

Ps. ...I am going to let you have the last word on this. I don't want to hijack this awesome thread that showed a real guy trying to do something that simply takes an amazing display of mechanical talent to accomplish. Give this guy the proper software diagnostic tools and he would have been successful at his endeavor.

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 07-03-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:39 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
Well..you corrected what you said in your previous post. The original post made it seemed like you paid the $8,000. Anyways...where did you find that great deal???. I wonder if it might still be there. I would go buy two or three long blocks and resell them here for a tidy profit! Where was this place??? What is the name of the company??? Also, how much did you pay to have the engine installed and actually have your car running again? Just curious. My rebuild is $2800 including tear down and install. I'm pretty sure you spent more than than by a long shot to get your car running again, unless you also found a similar deal on labor rates. I bet in Chicago mechanics work almost for free right? But then again, you were able to find a Jaguar VVT 3.0 Liter long block for $2,000 which is literally a steal!! I wish I could have found a deal like that for myself. Sorry, I am actually teasing you. I really find it unbelievable that a brand spanking new Jaguar long block for an X type was found for $2000 two years ago. The simple laws of supply and demand make it an improbable find. Jaguar stopped manufacturing these engines many years before then...you do the math. Still, me being a trusting person, I would love to see if the merchant that you purchased your crate engine from might still have another one.

Ps. ...I am going to let you have the last word on this. I don't want to hijack this awesome thread that showed a real guy trying to do something that simply takes an amazing display of mechanical talent to accomplish. Give this guy the proper software diagnostic tools and he would have been successful at his endeavor.
Agreed, jfenley and 310Jag did a great job here and I will utilize it when I get around to tearing down my old engine.

Attached you can find my invoices for the engine and miscellaneous parts (didn't need the thermostat, oil filters, water pump or gaskets as the engine came with them already) as well as the installation invoice (which also includes labor and parts for the installation of a new AC compressor, broken foglight and fuel filter). Without removing the misc parts and labor for the items outside the engine replacement, I was at:

• $1,898.57 for installation
• $1,800.00 for new crate engine
• $191.49 for deliver of all parts
-------------------------------------
$$3,890.05 Total

Does your $2,800 include all the misc parts and fluids that are needed to get you back up and running or is that the all-in cost?

If you trust your mechanic, I would highly recommend a transfer case, differential, and transmission flush while they have the vehicle.

Attached Thumbnails 3.0 engine rebuild and re-install FAQ-xtype-new-engine-invoice.jpg   3.0 engine rebuild and re-install FAQ-xtype-new-engine-install.jpg   3.0 engine rebuild and re-install FAQ-old-engine-1.jpg   3.0 engine rebuild and re-install FAQ-old-engine-2.jpg