X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to do 75000 service???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 07:33 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default About to do 75000 service???

After my first auto cross in the x, I am ready to do all the fluids and the 70,000 miles service. I need some help on which type and weight fluid to use. Here is my list and prices of what I have together so far. Which extra parts will I need to do all of these things to my car?

Grease the prop shaft- $30

Replace Fuel Filter- $15

Replace Break Fluid $15 Amsoil dot 4 super racing

Replace rear drive belt-Any info on this?

Brake pads and Rotors-$500EBC red stuff pads and turbo rotors

Drain and refill transfer case-WildBill's tc fitting but which fluid, brand, weight to refill with and how many quarts are needed?

Drain and refill rear differential- Wildbills fitting but which fluid brand, weight and how many quarts?

Drain and refill tranny-Still unsure on this one but want to do it. What fluid and all do you guys use and suggest?

Thanks everyone for your insight!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Default RE: About to do 75000 service???

anybody?

Old 01-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW, here are my suggestions. I will try to be clear on what I have actually done vs what I believe to be true.

Grease the prop shaft- $30

I use Mobil 1 grease. Readily available and when a company Exxon/Mobil's size puts its marketing effort behind creating a premium brand, you know they've done all the testing to ensure a superior product.

Drain and refill transfer case-WildBill's tc fitting but which fluid, brand, weight to refill with and how many quarts are needed?

I've been recommending Sta-Lube Syn-Go 75W/140 Synthetic, which states M2C192A compliance on the label, for use with my kit. M2C192A is the Ford/Jaguar spec for the TC lube and for the rear differential. The pump as I send it to you in the kits is set up to fit on the two-quart bottle of Syn-Go. Just unscrew the top off the Syn-Go and screw on the pump. I got my Syn-Go at a local NAPA. It's not that I don't like Royal Purple or RedLine or Mobil 1: it's just that I can't nail them down as far as suitability. Neither Royal Purplenor RedLine nor Mobil 1 will, in my communications with them, state that their lube meets or exceeds the specification for the transfer case fluid. I suspect that, since the spec was written 8+ years ago now, the above-mentioned lubes are better than the spec. Problem is, I can't get verification. Since there is little upside and a very big downside to experimentation, I’m recommending the easy-to-get lube that meets the spec, but you can, of course, use anything you like. If you use anything other than Syn-Go, there is a possibility that the pump that comes with the kit won’t fit the bottle your lube comes in. No problem. The pump fits on the plastic jugs that one gallon of anti-freeze comes in. So, if you have a lube that comes in a bottle with a different throat than the pump, just get an old anti-freeze container, wash it really well, dry it out and you’re in business. Now if you are using an anti-freeze bottle or some other container, the extension on the bottom of the pump, made for the 2 qt. Syn-Go container, may be the wrong length. Again, this is no problem. In the bag of stuff that comes with the kit, you’ll find a longer extension for the pump. Just trim it to the size you need for your container, pull the one on the pump bottom off, put the new one on, screw the pump into your container, and away you go.

Drain and refill rear differential- Wildbills fitting but which fluid brand, weight and how many quarts?

The differential calls for the same fluid as the TC. The TC Kit explains exactly how to get the correct amount into the TC. The rear diff requires you to use a turkey baster with a piece of hose to suck out as much of the old stuff as you can out of the fill plug. Then, you use the pump and adapter in the kit to fill the diff to the bottom of the fill hole. Basically, pump it in till it overflows the fill hole. Two quartts will do both the tranny & diff and leave plenty to spare.

Drain and refill tranny-Still unsure on this one but want to do it. What fluid and all do you guys use and suggest?

I am working on a tranny filter kit now. I haven't tried this yet, but Mobil Super Multi-Vehicle ATF meets the Jag spec and claims to be suitable for trannys requiring LT 71141 and Idemitsu K17 transmission fluid as the X-Type does. This is what I'd use.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:52 PM

Anybody have any insight on the other things on my list that wild bill didn't touch?

Old 01-29-2009, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

The brakes, fuel filter, and brake fluid change are straightforward. Nothing special needed.

I use a Mity Vac hand pump to suck fluid out of the brake system, and refill with ATE Super Blue Racing fluid. Start with the farthest caliper from the distribution block and work your way closer wheel by wheel.

I have EBC slotted/dimpled rotors and Centric ceramic pads. Straightforward install. There are writeups on the process...I have one here: http://mydrive.roadfly.com/blog/ChrisX/

Not sure about the belt, it was done by my dealer not too long ago while doing other warranty work, so I can't add any info.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is this belt and where can it be found on the car?

How much to replace?