X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Issue

I am a new Jag owner and don't know a whole lot about them. I am having abs issues and don't have the money to find out what is wrong. I looked on this site and found that it is possible that it is a wheel sensor. I can do that next week. My question is in a 2004 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 is there a fuse that I can take out for the ABS until I can get this fixed. I have almost wrecked a few times now. I know in my truck I took out the fuse while I waited to fix it and it was good after that. Thank you for any help or advice you can give me.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:44 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

bknox, no, you cannot pull the fuse. The wheel speed sensors are used to give you a readout on the speedo. You pull the fuse and your speedo is going to always read 0.

But, I would recommend getting the codes read at your local parts store and you should get one of the following codes: C1145, C1155, C1165, and/or C1175. That will tell us the wheel that is having the issue and then we can give you more detailed information of what needs to be done.

Just to ask a silly question, but did you recently have your front wheel bearings replaced?

Old 11-03-2014, 05:45 AM

I recently bought this car and have not replaced anything. I have had the codes read and nothing comes up. No lights are on or anything. I know this issue has to do with the abs as I have had similar issues with other vehicles. I have never had a Jag before so lost on this one.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Usually the way the anti-lock brake systems work is that if they are faulty the car should work with normal braking abilities but just not the abs feature. I've had other cars with faulty abs components and except for the abs light on, it operated normally. Is this different for the x-type? Can you describe the problem in more detail?

Old 11-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

sawduster, the problem with pulling the ABS fuse isn't so much that you will loose brake. QUite the contrary. The car is built around not having the ABS computer for braking. The car will brake just fine (albiet without the pulsing that the ABS system does) if you kill power to the ABS unit. The problem is how the car uses the ABS signals. With older cars, there was a cable that ran from the tranny output to the instrument cluster and that is what drove the speedo. In modern day cars, there is no cable. The speedo is driven by the ECM which in our cars gets its signal from the ABS unit. The ABS unit figures out how fast that the car is going by looking at all 4 wheel speed sensors and converting the signal it is getting to a speed. If you have a bad wheel speed sensor, then it will ignore that on and base the speed off of the other 3.

So, in short, if you pull the ABS fuse, the car will brake like a 70's power assist braking car, but you won't have the ABS there to prevent wheel lockup and you won't have a speedo to tell you how fast you are going. You may also find that the car will shift a little funny as it is basing where to shift on how fast the vehicle is moving compared to how much load the engine is seeing for a given RPM. But, that is insignificant as I see it.

The following users liked this post:
sawduster (11-03-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 03:47 PM

Thermo I have pulled off both back tires the wheel speed sensors look good. It snowed a little this morning and I almost got sandwiched between two cars. I am sure this is an abs issue but do not have the funds right now to have it checked out. You said something about pulling the fuse out and it will brake like an older car. If that is the case what fuse do I pull out? I will have the money in a couple weeks if I don't get it figured out but need my car in the meantime.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:38 AM
Default Abs fuse.

Hi,
l'm new to this forum. But have been reading all of your posts for some time now.
I have a 2001 x-type 2.5 auto sport. I have had the similar problem with mine. My abs judders when the breaks are applied, as if your breaking on ice. I pulled the 60amp F3 (yellow square fuse) from the engine bay fuse board.
This worked for me just for a temporary measure. As pointed out to you by the fantastic help on this site, you will lose your speedo and have the abs and break illuminate on your dash. But other than that the breaks and car responded fine.
hope that helps.