X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Blowing Hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AC Blowing Hot

Hi. The AC is blowing hot. It seems to get cold if you are on a long drive but as soon as you stop it goes hot again.

I have checked the low pressure side of the system and it is reading about 50psi after i added some freon. (but still blowing hot)

I have also checked the vent underneath the pollen filter and it is working fine.

The compressor seems to be working ok as well. It kicks on and off and appears to be working ok. And there is pressure in the system.

Not sure what to check next.

Are there any other parts I can check? Relays / fuses / etc....

Thanks,
Andy

Old 06-18-2010, 09:42 AM

bump.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

afonda, based on what you are describing, your A/C system is functioning properly. Your issue is with your radiator cooling fans. See the PM I sent you for more detail.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:51 PM

just picked up a used fan control module from a used auto / salvage yard. will intall and update.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:21 PM

Installed the new/used fan control module and there is no change. A/C is still not cold.

I can hear and see the compressor kicking on and off. Not sure what to do next.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Is the low pressure (suction) line getting cold and sweaty when A/C is running?

Old 06-19-2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by MarkC
Is the low pressure (suction) line getting cold and sweaty when A/C is running?

Doesn't appear to be getting sweaty.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have this same problem on really hot summer days.. If I'm sitting still in traffic the AC blows hot but if I get moving it cools back down. I think these cars just have weak AC systems.

For me the problem seems to be a little worse out here in Vegas (hotter days, higher altitude) than it is when I'm in LA. Anyone else have any suggestions? I've also tested my AC a million times and everything is working properly.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

How hard was changout of cooling fan controller? I have one on the way as mine is totally failing on high temp days. When the controller dies, the fans don't run and the condenser temp sensor tells the AC to shut off or at least go into very lax cycle. The compressor will be heard to cycle but won't stay on long enough to move any heat around. Did the new controller make the fans run more?

Old 06-22-2010, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by thomash85715
How hard was changout of cooling fan controller? I have one on the way as mine is totally failing on high temp days. When the controller dies, the fans don't run and the condenser temp sensor tells the AC to shut off or at least go into very lax cycle. The compressor will be heard to cycle but won't stay on long enough to move any heat around. Did the new controller make the fans run more?
Thomas, Change out was not hard except for the tight clearance to get to the wire harness plug on the passenger side (US model) fan. I had to remove the battery, battery box, and air intake housing. Not hard but took about 1 to 2 hours.

I got a used controller from the local salvage yard. Paid $75. After install the fans were still running slow and moving no air to speak of. A/C still blowing hot. I tested the voltage at the fan control module: the blue/white wire is running at 4.9 volts and the wires going to the fans are running at 4.18 volts. Obviously I have a voltage problem. Looks like not enough voltage getting to the fan control module. I have been pm'ing with a tech on this forum and he thinks it may be the ECM.

Plus I also read about a tech service bulletin 412931. Component Description:
33. EQUIPMENT:ELECTRICAL:AIR CONDITIONER
Bulletin Number:412931Bulletin Date:Mar 2003Vehicle: 2,003 Jaguar X-TypeSummary:
A/C SYSTEM INOPERATIVE REPROGRAM ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE. THIS SERVICE BULLETIN REPLACES XT412-S931 DATED 11/02. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10012354 )

Thanks for your input,
Andy

Old 06-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this same problem on my 2003 2.5 X-Type. I also checked the pressure on AC Low port and it was fine .. a little high actually. I also verified that the compressor is kicking on and off, which it is. The AC lines aren't getting cold & sweaty in mine either. I haven't checked any fuses, and thought I would try that next.

Question. How does the radiator fan affect the AC? (shows my ignorance) My engine doesn't run hot. I did verify that the radiator fan kicks on and off, although it doesn't stay on long.. but that was while the car was idling in the driveway.

I usually just leave the unit off when driving and open the windows because the air that it blows is warmer than the air outside.

I am anxious to hear whether you are able to find the problem with yours, and I will certainly let you know if I am able to track it down on mine.

Thanks,
Darren

Old 06-22-2010, 07:25 PM

The radiator fans are essential to AC operation at anything under 40 MPH. There are sensors on the front condenser coil and lines that tell the AC brain and by extension the main engine ECU to turn on the fans if there is not enough air blowing through the front of the car. This has nothing to do with coolant temperature which is a separate sensor that also talks to the main ECU. Not sure if you tried this but what if you turn on the AC the first time while the car is moving along steadily? In other words, when there is good airflow. If it comes on then but shuts off when you slow down or stop, your fans might not be getting the signal to come on from the AC system. I will go back and re-read your original post which I can't see while I am typing this. You might have something totally different going on. But your fans should definitely come on fast if you turn on AC in your driveway at dead still regardless of the coolant temperature.
In olden days, the turn-on of AC compressor put power to the mechanical relay which turned on the fan. The newer system with all this electronic processing is more sophisticated but prone to this type of failure.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:23 PM

I have an appt with the jag dealer for this Friday. The service writer told me she had seen about 5 x-types last week that needed the ECM re-programed in order to fix the A/C issue. This reprograming is noted in the TSB mentioned above. Probably the same issue you are having Darren. I think of this as sort of the ECM having a virus and needs to have the software reloaded to start fresh.

Andy

The following users liked this post:
ProfDee (07-01-2011)
Old 06-23-2010, 12:22 AM

How do I get this SB and do the re-programming? Or must it be done by dealer with special equipment? I have the JTIS downloaded from here but cannot find any TSBs in it. Thank you.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:27 AM

As I am told, this is a dealer only service issue.

The lady at the jaguar dealer said the computer system they have to do the reprograming costs about $10,000. They charge $106 for the reprograming.

The following users liked this post:
ProfDee (07-01-2011)
Old 06-23-2010, 01:23 PM

Thomas, thank you for the explanation. That makes sense. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to matter what speed I am going. The AC just doesn't work. The car is always blowing warm air. I can be going 80 on the freeway and the temp of the air is the same as sitting idle in the driveway.

Andy, I am anxious to hear whether the reprogram fixes the problem for you. I did take my car into a local mechanic who specializes in Jags before I bought it last year (he has the dealer diagnostic tools & computers), and he did tell me at that time that there is an available software upgrade for the ECM. I'll bet that this is the upgrade he was referring to. He told me that he could flash it for $100. So I may need to get it in and have him do it for me as well.

Thanks,
Darren

Old 06-23-2010, 08:21 PM

It definitely sounds like you have a different issue with your AC. One question I still have is if you turn on AC in the driveway standing still, do the fans come on full and immediately regardless of engine temp? I am assuming high ambient temperature over 90 degrees which it always is here from may to october. If the outside temp is high and the fans do not come on as soon as AC turns on, a flash reprogramming is the first thing to do I guess.
So can we assume service bulletin would just tell the dealer guy what plug harness to use and what keystrokes on the computer terminal to type in? It would be no good to us lay people in that event. . .

Old 07-01-2011, 02:09 AM

afonda, did the dealer resolve your problem in the end? I have the same exact issue. The local AC shop say that there is nothing else they can do. The dealer wants $1300 plus to put in a new compressor!

Old 07-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Same problem. Low engine speed no AC. Dealer explained low side high and high side low. New compressor fixed it. Thank goodness for warranty. Jack

Old 07-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ufoz8mycow
I have this same problem on really hot summer days.. If I'm sitting still in traffic the AC blows hot but if I get moving it cools back down. I think these cars just have weak AC systems.

For me the problem seems to be a little worse out here in Vegas (hotter days, higher altitude) than it is when I'm in LA. Anyone else have any suggestions? I've also tested my AC a million times and everything is working properly.
what year is your x? just curious since we've done a couple of 10 hour trips in 100 degree plus days from the outer banks in NC to DC. The drive usually takes around 5 years but summer holiday traffic can be brutal...just crawling along at 5 mph for hours and hours.....but the AC simply worked great.

i also do the once every 2 years AC treatment at the jag dealer. Not sure what they do...but it smells clean afterwards