X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 01:17 AM
Received 282 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Add Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)

I've seen mention of adding Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) but no conclusions, so here is what I know:

DSC appears as an option on X-Types through 2006. 2007 and 2008 have DSC standard. The "Sport" package included DSC.

DSC for the X-Type adds:
Turning/Yaw rate Sensor
Steering Sensor
DSC/ABS control module
Pressure sensor on ABS module
On/off switch in place of the coin holder on the shift console

The Turning/Yaw rate Sensor is the same for MY2002 through MY2008.
An attachment point is present on the 2004 and 2006 but is not seen on the 2002.

My 2004 X-Type is wired under the dash for the turning sensor (forward of the shifter), the steering sensor (above the throttle pedal) and
Under the hood for the DSC/ABS control module (additional pins on the control module connector) and the DSC/ABS pressure sensor.
Wiring for the On/off switch is also present.

The steering sensor is located on the forward end of the steering column. The steering sensor is not available as a replacement part beyond MY2002 because the steering column is not readily disassembled.
However, the same steering sensor is used for all model years.

Options for installing a steering sensor appears to be replace the steering column with a 2002 column and add a sensor or install a DSC equipped steering column.

The pressure sensor is not present on the ABS module but is present on the DSC/ABS module.

My 2006 X-Type has DSC wiring under the dash but not under the hood, having neither the extra pins on the control module plug nor the plug for the pressure sensor.

Retro-fitting DSC on the car that is completely rewired appears readily do-able but the partially wired car presents some problems.

My 2002, although having a service joint at the end of the column that allows replacement/installation of the steering sensor, is not otherwise pre-wired for DSC. Retro-fitting the 2002 would be quite difficult.

Once installed, DSC components must be programmed using IDS.

Clearly, new dealer parts would be cost prohibitive, so used auto parts are in order.

The yaw rate sensor is not specific to the X-Type but the other components are.

Part numbers and photos are forth-coming.

Your experience/input would be appreciated.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:43 AM
GGG
Received 16,764 Likes on 12,153 Posts

Have you driven a Jaguar with Dynamic Stability Control? The reason I ask is because it's the one feature on my XK8 that I'd gladly throw away.

From your description, the X-Type setup will be the same as my XK8. For those who aren't familiar with the DSC system, it activates during cornering to prevent loss of control. It does this by automatically limiting engine revs and automatically applying one or more brakes to reduce speed and maintain intended direction as calculated from steering angle. In other words the car slows down appreciably with no input from the driver or warning to following vehicles.

For me this is a degree of automated control too far. DSC is ON by default when the engine is started and it's something I usually switch off.

Just my thoughts and there will undoubtedly be others who love DSC as passionately as I hate it!

Regardless of my dislike of DSC, I'll still be very interested to follow your progress with the update in this thread. It's going to be quite an installation challenge.

Graham