X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjust auto wiper sensitivity?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Adjust auto wiper sensitivity?

I saw another post recently where someone mentioned that there were a bunch options that the dealer could enable upon request. The auto wipers on mine have always been way too sensitive. It seems that they error on too fast of a setting when it's not really raining that hard. This results in me never really using them. Anyone know if this is something a dealer can adjust? Thanks

Old 10-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts
Default RE: Adjust auto wiper sensitivity?

Mine is perfect on auto, right up till it tries to go crazy fast like you mention...and it just started raining hard. I suppose I would rather have the sensitivity too great than not enough. Imagine a non-too-bright driver using them in auto, it is not sensitive enough, and then try to blame the dealer/manufacturer when this person cant see clear enough and hit something. Its the conservative side of the design, and I doubt could even be changed.

When it goes from slow to speedster, I usually just go one click higher for the normal speed wiper.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I'd be interested as well. Mine tends to not come on if it is an intermittent rain and I have to kick it on manually a few times. I keep the windshield as clean as possible. Even with that slight issue, I still really like the feature and think it does work pretty well overall.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, in driving BMW's and a few Audi's the adjustment in sensitivity that they offer is much better than our cars. I suppose they would rather them go too much but I figure that's just extra wear and tear on the wipers, windsheild, and wiper motor. Plus it's just annoying. Oh well, not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. I figured that there was a chance someone knew of an easy adjustment. Thanks for the replies.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any new information about adjusting the wiper sensitivity. I may sound spoiled but they are really bugging the $#!+ out of me. I need three hands to drive in the rain, one to steer, one to hold my coffe, and the third to continually adjust the wiper delay. The auto mode really needs improvement. Mine come on if someone in another car spits out the window a mile ahead of me.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

If you have the disc design (small round sensor that attaches to the glass with clear adhesive disc) you all that never give info on your cars like yr/model make for alot of guessing......if the adhesive disc has air bubbles or has started to seperate from the glass it makes it alot more sensitive. The sensors work on light refraction and you can set them off on a sunny day which is why i tell people to only have on auto if its gonna rain(if it bugs you that they occasionally go off when not raining) there is not adjustment other than a correct adhession disc without bubble or seperation

Old 01-26-2011, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an issue with the sensor not working correctly. It does not detect unless you get a waterfall on the screen. What is the best way to remove/replace sensor or pad.
Anyone done this .