Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on buying this x-type jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on buying this x-type jaguar

hello everyone!

I am new to jaguars and was looking for some advice on buying one.

I came across this today and wanted to know what you guys think?

xtype jaguar

Is it a good deal and what should i look out for with these cars?

Any information will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Old 08-31-2012, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

That's a great deal if the thermostat is the only thing out like they claim. The thing is that my fan control module is completely dead and I never actually use my fans unless I'm in stop and go traffic. If you take this thing for a test drive and it starts overheating while going about 30-40mph, then you are looking at a head gasket or something much more major. If you're close to it, go take a look at it. The things that fail on these vehicles are the transmissions and the transfer case. If the transmission and xcase are running now, then all you have to do is top the tranny with fluid and drain and refill what's left in the xcase and you will have a great car for very cheap. If it was me, I would go look at that in a heartbeat or at least figure out when the car overheats (driving or stopped.)

Old 08-31-2012, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

wow...steal of a deal...i'd be all over that if i was local there

Old 08-31-2012, 07:16 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Um.... 160K miles with an overheating problem and 1 picture to go by...?

Yes, could be the thermostat but why would someone not invest less than $100 to fix the thermostat issue and sell the car for more???

I would stay away - sounds like the overheating is a bigger issue or there are other hidden issues not "known" yet. Just my $0.02

Old 08-31-2012, 07:36 AM
GGG
Received 16,791 Likes on 12,165 Posts

TEXT NO CALLS - I WILL CALL YOU. In your dreams!

This Ad just screams 'walk away' to me. As others have said, if it is only a Thermostat, it makes no sense not to replace it and sell the vehicle as faultless.

CAN'T BE DRIVEN TOO FAR. Well that would show up the other faults if it got thoroughly warmed up!

Best advice is read the 'HOW TO's to get some background on the X-Type before considering a purchase. Understand the weak points so you can ask the right questions of any seller.

As a first time Jaguar buyer, a dealer will be costlier but you get better choice and some protection if anything goes wrong.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (08-31-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 08:03 AM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

On principle, I'd avoid someone who couldn't put a sentence together in their ad. Maybe I expect too much out of people.

Sounds like you're new to these cars, so please do some thorough research. Parts and labor are expensive, more so than on many other cars. I think many folks get excited that they can own a relatively newer car (and a Jag) for so little initial investment.

The mileage would cause me to proceed with extreme caution. Have the car checked out. Make sure you see repair/maintenance receipts or records.

I have no idea what you want the car for...daily driver? Second car? I suppose that's another factor. I just wouldn't want to see you buy the car, then spend the next few months on this forum looking for solutions to all the problems that caught you unaware. Please ask us questions, and please do a little homework. Good luck to you.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:24 AM

Yeah the ad seems a little off but he agreed to meet with me so i can take a look at it in about an hour. The reason i wanted to purchase the car is to sell it for a profit , i mean i would love to keep the thing if everything turned out ok but i a college student and need the money. As far as looking into labor and what not i would be doing all the work to it myself. My other car is a 98 BMW 328i and i have done plenty of work to that car from basic maintenance to an auto to manual swap. I will not be taking cash and afterwards i will probably be asking a lot more questions.

thanks everyone

Old 08-31-2012, 08:35 AM
GGG

Take a camera with you - any doubts, post pics.

Graham

Old 08-31-2012, 10:08 AM

Just got back from checking out the car...... It has a blown head gasket. It was being sold by two guys that were dealers woking out of there own home and they told me it was just the thermostat. You could clearly tell there were combustion gases going into the cooling system when you took the coolant resivor cap off and im assuming the struts were original to the car because they were completely shot. So i just said thanks for letting me look at and then i left. When i got home he texted me saying "hey just bought some head fixer stuff for $100 and now the car runs great and we are pushing the price up to $4000 so thanks for not buying the car lol" hahaha i really hate these kind of people because someone is going to get ripped off.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:17 AM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh wow, "head fixer stuff"...jeez. Don't even know what to say other than glad you were smart enough to walk away.

Originally Posted by Jagyjag
Just got back from checking out the car...... It has a blown head gasket. It was being sold by two guys that were dealers woking out of there own home and they told me it was just the thermostat. You could clearly tell there were combustion gases going into the cooling system when you took the coolant resivor cap off and im assuming the struts were original to the car because they were completely shot. So i just said thanks for letting me look at and then i left. When i got home he texted me saying "hey just bought some head fixer stuff for $100 and now the car runs great and we are pushing the price up to $4000 so thanks for not buying the car lol" hahaha i really hate these kind of people because someone is going to get ripped off.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:44 AM
GGG

You had a healthy suspicion and dodged a rip off but, as you say, someone else is going to fall for their line.

The eventual buyer could end up coming here with a boat load of issues.

Graham

Old 08-31-2012, 12:04 PM

Yeah oh well thanks anyway guys hopefully some day i will be back haha i really want a jaguar now!

Old 08-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

for that price i would have expected at least a head gasket...even still, there could have been some profit there either fixing it or parting it out.
head gasket fixer?...now i'd run a mile!.
glad you saw through their b.s...too bad someone else will suffer. Might be an idea to put a warning email on craigslist

Old 08-31-2012, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

im gonna text them for a laff and see what they r now saying about it

Old 08-31-2012, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

texting experiment complete

me...Hi, u still have the jag?

them...yes

me...is it possible a bad head gasket is causing the overheating?

them...i just found out it was a leak in the hose, its sealed now and its running better now

so now we know for sure what kinda seller this is...lol

Old 08-31-2012, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

^ haha priceless. I would post that vin on the forum just to be sure nobody gets stuck with it

Old 08-31-2012, 05:43 PM
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Let's invite the owners to our forum and have some fun!

Old 08-31-2012, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

or perhaps get all the forum members to text him stupid questions about the car...your turn

Old 08-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by iownme
or perhaps get all the forum members to text him stupid questions about the car...your turn
well...you got the point! LOL

Old 08-31-2012, 08:37 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

LMFAO! What jokers!!! The typical "fix all" in a bottle...

Quick Reply: Advice on buying this x-type jaguar