X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default American owners

There are clearly a lot of posters from the States, I was wondering what attracted you to a Jag in the first place, with American cars being so different to English. Being English it is a rite of passage( when you can afford it) to own a Jag.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:47 PM

I bought my Jaguar about a month ago. I have been driving convertibles for 20+ years and figured if I had to buy my first 4 four sedan ever, it should be something with a bit of style. Most cars over here are cookie cutter and boring. I wanted something that stood out in a crowd. Even though its 10 years old I get stares and compliments all the time.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm your typical conservative American. I had the opportunity to sit in an x type while my wife was looking at a porche. I've never considered jags, or even a sedan for that matter. Ive always driven muscle cars.
I was blown away by all the wood, and how it blended nicely with the tan leather. I spent the next six months searching for the perfect one. Black with tan leather, and it had to be premium edition.
I love my jag simply because it's uncommon. People think I spent 50k on it. It's classy and makes a statement about me. It perfectly fits with my profession and my style of dress.
For the record, I also own a newer Mercedes Benz but prefer the jag.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

I had an E Type roadster when I was 22. Had to trade it when the first child came along. I've had a soft spot for Jags ever since.
Bought my 07 X Type in 2009.Just wanted something most people didn't have ie. BMW, Mercedes,Lexus.
Got my 97 XK8 last September as a project.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:29 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by kblock
............. Being English it is a rite of passage ( when you can afford it) to own a Jag.
Being English, it's an absolute essential.

Graham

Old 07-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

For the past fifteen years I had driven Ford Mustangs. I was under no illusions as to what they were; They were relatively inexpensive sports cars that went fast in a straight line. My last Mustang was a Cobra, with a 0-60 time of four seconds which is knee deep in Ferrari territory.

However, the past few years had been horrible financially and I had to ditch the $500/month car payment, even if the car was nearly paid off. I sold the car for $20k, paid off the $5k remaining on the loan, and had $15k to buy a new used car with.

After fifteen years of Mustangs I wanted something radically different - I needed a four door and wanted a convertible. I had been watching the car lots online using Autotrader.com, and had been looking at SAABs. However, I keep coming across this silver Jaguar X Type and it kept catching my eye. I went to one dealership to look at a white SAAB convertible, and it was great - but the top didn't want to go up or down, so that was that.

Then I noticed the X Type was at the same dealership. I took it for a ride and I was hooked. It was silky smooth, and I loved the green dials. I loved all the wood trim. I loved everything about the car.

I couldn't be happier. I don't drive it much, but when I do it's perfect. And comfy.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dumb/Luck
For the past fifteen years I had driven Ford Mustangs. I was under no illusions as to what they were; They were relatively inexpensive sports cars that went fast in a straight line. My last Mustang was a Cobra, with a 0-60 time of four seconds which is knee deep in Ferrari territory.

However, the past few years had been horrible financially and I had to ditch the $500/month car payment, even if the car was nearly paid off. I sold the car for $20k, paid off the $5k remaining on the loan, and had $15k to buy a new used car with.

After fifteen years of Mustangs I wanted something radically different - I needed a four door and wanted a convertible. I had been watching the car lots online using Autotrader.com, and had been looking at SAABs. However, I keep coming across this silver Jaguar X Type and it kept catching my eye. I went to one dealership to look at a white SAAB convertible, and it was great - but the top didn't want to go up or down, so that was that.

Then I noticed the X Type was at the same dealership. I took it for a ride and I was hooked. It was silky smooth, and I loved the green dials. I loved all the wood trim. I loved everything about the car.

I couldn't be happier. I don't drive it much, but when I do it's perfect. And comfy.
I've only driven stangs myself including an 88gt, 98 cobra, and an 02gt. Back in 2010 I sold my 02 and got the 05 jag. Never been happier. Sure I miss standard trannies and 300+ horsepower, but the elegance that the jag has can't be touched.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:52 PM

Mustangs have been my passion for many years too. Had several fox body 5.0 convertibles. I currently have a 1970 mustang convertible in the garage. They sure don't handle corners like the Jaguar, but they are fun in a straight line.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just came across it when I needed a car.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:24 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

I have had a fascination with Jags since I was a kid. Back then (mid 80's), it was a XJ that I had fallen in love with. It was something so dramatically different, so unusual. There is nothing else like it around. As time went on, I made a promise to myself that I would eventually own one. Back in 2008 I had reached a point in my life where I said I was at that point (was getting ready to retire for the first time at 38). IT was my retirement present to myself. Granted, I had gone after an X-Type thinking that I couldn't afford anything more. It was only after getting on this site that I learned I had sold myself short. So, the day is coming possibly in the near future where I am going to be trading in the X-Type and getting one of the higher end cars (XJ, XK, or XFR). We will see. I still get a lot of people asking me how I can afford a car like that. I just laugh and walk away. I am one of a few in the area that have a Jag. It is fun driving around with something like I have. Granted, I drive up to DC and it seems like I am one of a million up there. Hence why I am after something a bit higher end. Lots less of them.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:11 AM
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Looking for a replacement for a Buick Park Avenue on search all craigslist, thought about a AWD Dodge Charger, somehow ran across the AWD Jaguar X-Type. AWD would be perfect for the North Dakota winters. If it could get around 25MPG... Settled on a 18,410 mile 2006 X in PA took Amtrak out and drove it 1600 miles back. It made 27.1 MPG!

It's the most comfortable car I've ever taken a long trip in.

Three months ago Jaguar wasn't even on the radar!

Last week at a family reunion someone said it was a $60,000 car. I havent spent even half that on all the cars I've bought my entire life! But it does get noticed, and most think it's so exotic.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:38 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

My first car was an Austin Healey Sprite, and, as they say, that was that...
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 07-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Jac
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

I always liked Jaguars. Never thought I would own one until I came across a very good deal. An older gentleman that is retiring his driving due to medical reasons had his for sale at a very good price, about half of the KBB value. I just had to have it. Not very many Jags in my area. Love it.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool Have always loved Jags

I've always had an interest in Jags. You don't need to be English to love them.
My dream Jag is an XK120MC but I have to be realistic and know that I'll never be able to afford one. When I saw our 2003 X-Type BRG listed locally I had to go take a look. The dealer had 3 on his lot but I never even considered the other 2. To me a Jag in BRG was the only choice. I like the looks of the X-Type especially from the front, the head lights and bonnet sculpturing. The X-Type to me is simply sleek looking from all angles. Then after driving it I was sold on it. We've had it on 2 trips to Texas, one trip to Florida and one to Virginia and it was great on these long trips averaging 30+ mpg with not one single problem. We are getting ready for a trip to Key West next month and looking forward to another enjoyable trip.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Well, my first car was a saturn, followed by a 75 jeep dj5, then a 89 crx turbo, and then I worked 45 hours a week all summer to save up to get my jag. I wanted something that would reward me for my hard work everyday, so I flew from denver to seattle and bought my first jag in cash. Now, at 18, I have taken a vow to myself that I will always own at least one Jag. I have always had a second car in addition to the jag that I can use as a project. I currently have an 83 volvo that I "converted" and made a convertible and a 93 cherokee with a 6.5" custom long arm lift. Although I love my other cars, the Jag has become a basis for my life. I hope to eventually work my way up the Jaguar hierarchy and one day buy a new Jaguar right off the lot.

Long story, but just thought I would share

Old 07-10-2012, 03:44 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I'm not American, but i'm not British either. Half-way in between...

I always had big Ford V8's back in Oz. Here in Switzerland they just don't exist.
The biggest/fastest Ford I could find/afford 7 years ago was a Mondeo ST200.

I had briefly looked at the X-Type because of the AWD (for winter) but couldn't find a nice one in my price range. So I went for the ST200. Good car I must say, but I didn't love it like the V8's back home.

Fast forward 5 years and I needed to get an auto cause my GF (now wife) can't drive with three pedals.

I was just about to buy a 2010 Taurus SHO, 3.5L Twin-Turbo, AWD, beautiful (a few had been imported here) but the insurance was unpayable...

Thought to myself, what else is "big", AWD and not Japanese or German? I was back to the X-Type...still wanted that SHO but the X-Type grew on me, the car bug bit again & Jags have turned into an obsession...

Funny enough now I'm back into a V8 (and a supercharged one at that) funny how life goes in circles....

Old 07-14-2012, 06:17 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Simply a beautiful car - inside and out. I also like the last gen XJ.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:34 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In 1969 I couldn't afford a new car so I purchased a $500.00 XK-140...around 100 Jags later I sometimes still wonder... WHY??? My buddies tell me I don't have enough punishment in my life. Could the reason be that all of my people are from various parts your island? HMM?!? Cheers, Andy

Old 07-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was considering another car for my small collection when the wife tells me that she likes the Jaguar. So, I figured she would have no problems with me getting an X-Type with the color and options that I wanted. After I got the car, she tells me that she meant the Jaguar leaper.

Seriously, though, I liked the looks of the X-Type for quite a while and came close to buying one of the last 2008's, but the deal fell through and bought a new 2009 Lincoln MKZ instead. So, a couple of years later when I saw the used 2007 X-Type with everything I wanted on the vehicle (save the TPMS that only came on the 2008), I decided to get it while I could. Love the car!!!

Old 07-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

1964 Mk X > 1962 E Type Coupe > 1982 XJS > 1956 XK140 Coupe > 1995 XJ6 VDP > 2003 X Type.... logical progression over 40 years.

Quick Reply: American owners