X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any assistance please????

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation any assistance please????

i have a jaguar 2002 xtype and the codes p0763 and p1603 come up. when driving the vehicle it jumps into 4th gear and stays there. Is it because of the shift solenoid c or b. And i cant seem to find a schematics online to show me where either of them are at.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Jahwonza, if you look at the top of the X-Type section, there is a posting about the "Jaguar JTIS". This is the manual for the car. You can find all the schematics and the "how-to's" there on replacing every part to the car.

As for the location of the shifting solenoids, they are all inside the tranny. You have to pull the tranny as I recall to access them.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:15 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

General advice: Any car's automatic transmission is the second-most expensive component. Some might also say it rivals the engine itself for complexity. These transmissions require a proper amount of high-quality fluid to operate; if you don't know the condition of your car's transmission fluid then I'd start there. I do not follow Jaguar's advice that this fluid (also along with transfer case and differential) is "Lifetime Fill." After buying my 2004 I serviced the ATF using the 3x drain/refill method you'll find on this forum. Made for a much smoother operating transmission.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:28 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by swingwing
General advice: Any car's automatic transmission is the second-most expensive component. Some might also say it rivals the engine itself for complexity. These transmissions require a proper amount of high-quality fluid to operate; if you don't know the condition of your car's transmission fluid then I'd start there. I do not follow Jaguar's advice that this fluid (also along with transfer case and differential) is "Lifetime Fill." After buying my 2004 I serviced the ATF using the 3x drain/refill method you'll find on this forum. Made for a much smoother operating transmission.
Hey swingman...quick question if I may? My 2002 3.0 AWD Automatic had the transmission recall so it got a whole new tranny in 2004. Would it be safe to assume at that time everything got new fluid (I am not a mechanic so sorry if that is a silly question?) meaning the transfer case and differential? Also, that was done when the car only had 4k on her and since then the car has only gone 12k more on the new tranny even though it has been 12 years. Would you still recommend me having all the fluids changed - meaning the ATF, transfer case & differential? I am a big fan of preventative maintenance so I would like some solid advice. Also could a place like Aamco do this for a reasonable price and can they be trusted?

Also is there a thread anywhere with all the recommended fluids and oils for our x-type along with the frequency of change?

Thanks!!! ;-)

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 10-12-2016, 06:54 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

I'd say that for sure you got new ATF when the transmission was replaced. As for the transfer case and differential - probably not. You found what's called a Unicorn, so in my book changing out the fluids is a great idea. The problem with this car is that fluid changes for transfer case and differential are a b*tch because there's not a drain plug on them. The transmission fluid is fairly easy; I used the 3x drain/fill procedure you'll find on this forum and it made a big improvement. And by the way, power steering uses the same ATF; fairly easy to evacuate the reservoir and refill a few times to clean up dirty fluid and protect the PS pump.

You can get a full list of fluids, filters and capacities at amsoil dot com. It's a free app, and you can also use the "MyGarage" app (also free) to "park" your rides in, log services, set up email reminders, etc.

You can PM me if you want more info on the products. I've been using nothing else for 19 years and am a dealer for them.

As for a shop who can help you with the work, I'd search around for an Independent that specializes in British cars. What part of California you in? There should be plenty of choices in SF area, and for sure in LA. In my opinion you're not likely to find Jag expertise at a standard-branded shop like AAMCO, but nothing wrong with asking around.

Attached Thumbnails any assistance please????-atf-fill.jpg   any assistance please????-atf-diff.jpg  

Last edited by swingwing; 10-12-2016 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Added sentences.
The following users liked this post:
daddylogan (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 09:29 AM
Veteran member

Daddylogan, all the fluids that you are talking about were supposed to be "filled for life" on this car. Nice in theory, but in application not very sound. So, there is a need to change the fluids, but what that frequency is, you will get very mixed responses on that. so, this is my thought on the situation.

The rear differential: This is a fully synthetic lube (75W-140) that is in there. This will last quite a long time and the need to change it due to just age is probably not required. If you had driven the car say 100K miles, then it may be advisable. As long as you are doing periodic drives of the car, you should be good there.

Transfer case: Again, this is filled using 75W-140 full synthetic lube. Most people recommend changing this at 30K mile intervals. Not so much that it gets abused more, it is for the fact that there is so little of it in the transfer case that doing things on this interval helps ensure you don't get low on fluid, leading to transfer case failure. The trick with this is that there is a drain plug on the transfer case, but the fill plug is buried between the transfer case and the engine block. So, refilling the transfer case takes some creativity. Here at JF, we have come up with 3 methods (tilt the car, use a check valve, and use of a radiator drain valve). each method has its pros and cons.

As for the tranny, this may be a good idea to have the fluid changed out. Granted, if you want to check it, I would open up the hood of the car and reach in behind the battery. There you will find the tranny. On the side is an access plug (1/2" NPT fitting). You can remove that plug and then using a stick or something, scoop out a few drops of tranny fluid. if the fluid is a nice bright red color, then a fluid change is not really needed. If it is a brownish color, it is getting old/overheated and should be changed. Odds are, you will find your fluid a fairly nice, bright red color based on how you drive.

The following users liked this post:
daddylogan (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 02:18 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you to you both for such great replies! Yes...the transfer case is my biggest worry with this car as I have read it is the achilles heel. However one of you says there is no drain plug on the transfer case and one of you says there is so that part has me a tad confused.

I live in the middle of California and we do have a foreign auto shop in my town so maybe I will give them a call. Otherwise I should be able to find an independent in a place like Fresno or Modesto.

My goal with my unicorn (LOL) is to keep her that way. I am not a hard driver and might, just might drive around 6k miles per year if that. I got the car when it had 15k on it and in 3 months I have only put barely over 1k miles on her. I figure if I can get everything right now, I will get a good life out of her.

Thanks again swingman and Thermo!

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 10-12-2016, 08:01 PM
Veteran member

daddylogan, all I can say is crawl under the car and look in the gap between the transfer case and the tranny. You will see where there is an opening with reinforcements on the transfer case. If you look in the bottom most opening, you will see a 1/2" NPT plug there with a square 3/8" drive hole. You can take a 3/8" socket wrench and put it in this hole and it will back out the plug. Just be ready with another 600 ml of fluid and the method you are going to use to refill the transfer case should you remove the plug completely. ALso of note, don't be surprised if you pull the plug and no fluid comes out. A few of us had that happen.