X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any directions for X-type Transmisson Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 08:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any directions for X-type Transmisson Replacement

Is there a manual or video anywhere showing how to replace an X-type Automatic transmission that anyone is aware of?

I have another thread on this but for some reason I can't seem to update it with additional questions so am reposting. I appreciate the help I've had on it so far, but need more info.

My 2002 3.0 automatic is slipping and I think maybe my best course of action would be to just replace the transmission with a used one, IF I can do it myself. I'm not talking about rebuilding, I'm talking about removing the existing transmission and replacing it with another used transmission and hoping for the best.
Are any special tools required? Where do I find the parts no.s for any replacement gaskets or seals that might be required?
I don't mind doing hard work. I have a 4 post lift and tools though no Jag tools. I've had it suggested to me this is not a real difficult undertaking, but then I've read in here where its a royal pain.
Will I run into computer problems doing this? Any advice is helpful. If its just a bit of hard work and essentially plug and play it might be my best chance to save this car. I just can't pay $2500 to get it fixed right now and I really enjoy this car. Everything else works fine, but I nursed this so long that it just is going to go no further until I repair, replace, or have someone rebuild the tranny. I can afford $1200 to fix it, but much beyond that seems like a waste of time and $ to me. Anybody out there done this or seen it done? thanks , Tom

Old 08-07-2015, 07:57 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The TSB for Service Action S941 describes how to replace the gearbox.

bob gauff

Attached Files
Old 08-11-2015, 05:57 AM
Default Appreciate the help

Thanks I've looked at the instructional information and I'm seeing several notices in it for custom Jag tools to be used. Do you know if they are absolutely necessary or just a convenience to accomplish the task at hand?

Thanks for you response I think I can do this but it did raise some questions. Tom / akejama

Old 08-11-2015, 03:29 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Tom, I know it is probably a dumb question, but have you tried replacing the tranny fluid?

I know Ford says "lifetime", but that was written by the marketing department, not the engineers...

Old 08-14-2015, 08:56 AM
Default Changing Tranny Fluid

I did a partial change, but I read here it takes three or four to eventually remove and replace enough fluid to call it a change. So, no I haven't done 3 or 4 drains and refills. But, I'm kind of at a loss as to how this would affect clutch slippage in an automatic tranny? I've read here several notations about reverse failure being a common problem with the Jatco Tranny and then the problems extends to the forward gears, but I really don't have a gear problem and I have full reverse (clutch does not slip in reverse.) My clutches just don't hold the car in gear. You really think changing fluid will impact that problem?