X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Had Trans Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Had Trans Problems?

feels like the trans is slipping again in drive, could it be the oil/filter needs changing ? 2 years ago i had the same problems took the car to the dealer and $800 later it was fixed they say it was some kind of solenoid in the trans 04 X type /Auto is this common??

Old 04-28-2010, 04:59 PM

I have a 2002 Jag X type JATCO trans 2.5 liter. 63K on it. Bought it with 50K miles.

I'm finding the many of these transmssions,such as mine, don't have a very good track record. The solenoid packs get gummed up and get 'stuck' due to self distructing gear box, which is what we are dealing with at this time.

They want an astronomical amount for a new trans but I guess there are used ones out there for sale, like a used one isn't asking for the same nightmare.

Quite frankly, I can't bare to even hear some tech tell me that a new solinoid pack and installation is gonna be about 3000 bucks or whatever. To own a car like this without a service contract is insanity.

Was the 800 bucks to pull the solenoid and fix the sticky one or a replacement? What did they say about the condition of the fluid in the tranny or did they tell you 'why' the problem with the solenoid pack? If the transmission is wearing out, my understanding is that a solenoid pack is no longer a fix. I would be interested if someone that knows a little about this tranny could enlighten us little more about these complicated trannys? One of the first things that I looked for when we bought this car was the trans fluid dip stick. NO SUCH THING ON THIS CAR!?

I'm gonna have to pull the battery or something to check our trans fluid and unscrew some allen screw on top of the trans. I don't expect to like what I see as far as the condition of my trans fluid.

But you have asked if this is a common problem with these transmissions and I think the answer is a big YES!!!!!! I know from first hand experience.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by JEFFEE
I have a 2002 Jag X type JATCO trans 2.5 liter. 63K on it. Bought it with 50K miles.

I'm finding the many of these transmssions,such as mine, don't have a very good track record. The solenoid packs get gummed up and get 'stuck' due to self distructing gear box, which is what we are dealing with at this time.

They want an astronomical amount for a new trans but I guess there are used ones out there for sale, like a used one isn't asking for the same nightmare.

Quite frankly, I can't bare to even hear some tech tell me that a new solinoid pack and installation is gonna be about 3000 bucks or whatever. To own a car like this without a service contract is insanity.

Was the 800 bucks to pull the solenoid and fix the sticky one or a replacement? What did they say about the condition of the fluid in the tranny or did they tell you 'why' the problem with the solenoid pack? If the transmission is wearing out, my understanding is that a solenoid pack is no longer a fix. I would be interested if someone that knows a little about this tranny could enlighten us little more about these complicated trannys? One of the first things that I looked for when we bought this car was the trans fluid dip stick. NO SUCH THING ON THIS CAR!?

I'm gonna have to pull the battery or something to check our trans fluid and unscrew some allen screw on top of the trans. I don't expect to like what I see as far as the condition of my trans fluid.

But you have asked if this is a common problem with these transmissions and I think the answer is a big YES!!!!!! I know from first hand experience.

I HEAR YA!
Checking the fluid is the easy part, right next to your tranny drain plug under the car is the check bolt. its about 3" away from the drain plug right next to the shift cable (13mm i think it was) fill until it comes out of that tube then stop and cap.( at normal running temp)

the hard part is to remember that these trans take a diff. fluid from all others. what i have been using is the Castrol Import stuff.

my trans went tru a few solenoids already. as the miles rack up im sure all will be changed out soon.

as for the trans dip stick, there is non. but I was also told by another forum to use the uk model contour i think its called a ford mondeo they have a trans tub/dipstick that should fit as i was told. but not sure it works cause ive never herd anything here about it.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

If you can get off with another soleniod for $800 by all means do it now before the whole tranny is stuffed. I had a similar problem earlier this year but it went straight to catastrophic failure = new rebuilt Jaguar/Jatco tranny installed....not cheap.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:16 PM

i had problem with transmission-reducer.
once a time i heard some noice from front of vehicle and i feel that my car drive different as before.
Diagnosis: the reducer is deth!
Too change this part i spend 2 days in garage.
It was wen my car has 70.000 miles.
I heard that the 3.0 have to much power for the reducer? maybe.