X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone's X-type Acting up in Severe cold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone's X-type Acting up in Severe cold?

Hey all,
Wondering if anyone else has experienced the same symptoms as myself during relatively cold weather. Illinois winters have been brutal the past couple years with this year being none the nicer. So we've definitely experienced some 0 and -Degree times recently and, next week is only suppose to get into the upper 20's. Well yesterday I went to leave my house and the Jag. sits outside because my 27 Year old Mercedes-Benz is garage queen but, I figured with the new battery and $1800 worth of work I put in just before the season changed, that the Jag would be fine outside. So I go to leave and she just cranks really slowly, sputters and then fires up. Let her idle for 4-5 mins then, when I get in I have error messages and lights glowing and scrolling like it's Christmas all over agian..
-Cruise not avaible, engine service required, both amber and red lights are on, Check engine light, "S" button wouldn't turn on, etc...
By this time she's warmed up to above the cold mark on the gauge. So i give it a couple presses of the accelerator and she topped out at 3000RPM, Would go higher light it was being rev-limited.

So then I shut it down, Restart and all the lights went off, error messages stopped. The only thing was the check engine light remained on.. Though later, even that light went out and it was showing all systems as functioning.

So what gives? Do Jags really hate cold weather that much? I mean she was running and sounding normal to me. The only odd things where, of course, electrical related. Or is this a sign of a future failure to come?

Also, I've noticed she wont shift into 5th gear until after it's reach full operating temp which I just take as a normal 'warm up" procedure. Or is it suppose to be shifting into 5th gear at all times?

Old 01-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Received 66 Likes on 30 Posts

just had the same thing happen to me. go to auto zone and get the code read if the engine light comes back on, its free. then you know where to start looking for a problem.

mine was p0171 and p0174. i cleaned my Mass Air Flow Sensor and my light went away. it was very dirty and when i started up on a bitter cold morning i got a light too. after cleaned in similar temp light went away.

the revvs to 3000: when an engine light goes on car goes into limp home mode, only allowing for revvs up to 3000, so as not to cause damage to motor, but be able to "limp home"

what did you have done to the car recently? you mention $1800, what as it for?

also vacuum leaks are common, couldve caused your light to come and go, especially when cold.

-stevis05

Old 01-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts
Default Weak Battery

You have a weak battery. The cold weather zaps the amps out of the battery. The "X" does not like a weak battery and as a result all sensors will recieve low voltage causing all error and fault messages to light up. That they all subsided after a shut off and then re-start confirms this. Leave a trickle charger on her at night during severely cold weather.
The tranny fluid is cold and very viscous at very low temps. causing a longer period before final drive (5th). Be sure that you vacate 9 qts. before refilling with 9 qts. Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. Change transfer case and rear differential oil too.
Hope all goes well.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:16 PM

Stevis05, ill have to do that if it comes on again, have the codes read at auto zone. After warming it up a bit though when the revs wouldn't go above 3K (not that i was trying to floor a dead cold engine anyway) i kept my foot on the accelerator at 1250 RPM for about a minute or two and then it would rev past the 3K mark. forgot to mention that earlier.

Makes sense though, clogged or dirty sensors seem to be the source of many of today's cars issue's Ill give that a look over and see.

$1,800 basically included general maintenance Items that where due; Front brakes OM replacment, steering alignment, oil change to synthetic, New Battery with a high CCA, New tires all around, and engine CCU serviced (had it fault on me one day in late fall). Possibly a couple other things done as well but, can't remember off the top of my head. Add's up really fast!

BFSGROSS- I just put a new battery in about 1 month ago... She actully cranks MUCH faster with the new battery than the old Jaguar battery it originally had in it when I bought it. I had an issue with the car around that time and thought maybe the battery was the cause. After finding out that wasn't my issue I decided to keep the new battery since winter was coming anyhow. Got a high CCA rated one

Yea I figured it was something with the cars set-up in terms of how it shifted when warming up to full temp. I plan on having all fluids flushed/ changed once it becomes abit warmer than 30Degs outside. I was thinking around spring. What type of gear oil do you suggest as far for the Transfer and Differential is concerned?

Thanks guys for the help and detailed responses!! I'm truly a n00b when it comes to Jags though im slowly learning Not afraid to crawl under it and figure stuff out either!

Old 12-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got an 02 X-type 2.5L that threw the P0171 code for the first time yesterday. As near as I can tell, it was due to the sub-freezing temperatures. My car had sat outside at work all day, and I didn't let it warm up very much. When I first tried driving away, an engine code blinked at me, so I stopped and revved it for a while. I was able to drive at freeway speeds for the next 20 minutes. When I got off the freeway and stopped, a permanent check engine code appeared and the car seemed to stutter a bit when I got it up to speed. After that no problem. I was low on gas and refilled and checked the code ( I keep a code reader in the glove box). It was P0171. I cleared it and haven't seen it since. I'm just saying that sub-freezing temperatures might restrict fuel intake or something and flag the code.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:16 PM

My battery doesn't want to work in the cold, I went to autozone and got a battery cover now it starts up everytime..

Before I had to tap the battery positive and negative side with a hammer and it would just turn on.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

New battery and perhaps a 0W-30 synthetic should help for the artic weather. A dipstick heater if you are talking outside overnight.