X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto gearbox problem in x type 2005

Old 10-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto gearbox problem in x type 2005

I have had a trouble free five years with my xtype until this week when after a four hour drive in hot conditions the gears would not kick down when going up a hill. The problem got worse and after 20 minutes of erratic acceleration and gear box performance degradation the car went into limp mode. It was a nightmare in heavy traffic until I got off the highway, turned the engine off and when I restarted the computer had reset and the problem seemed to have gone. I drove off and the problem returned on the next hill. Had the car towed to my mechanic. By the next day car seemed ok. No codes came up as indicating a fault and the mechanic said the problem may not occur again. Not sure what I should do. I do not want to spend big money on it.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:19 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default auto changer

Hi
It sounds to me like your changer is playing up, in fact on the edge of packing it in. The bearings are replaceable, a job you can do yourself with guidance (if you are DIY orientated). That's the cheap way, taking it along to the garage is another story. I reckon you are going to have to do something and soon. I hope some of the techno guys on the forum who really know their stuff will pick up on this and advise you. I have recently seen a writ-up on the job, it looks tricky. Best of luck amigo.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:55 AM

Hi Ray
Thanks for your response. You obviously know a lot more about Jags than I do. I am having the car looked at on Friday by a Jag experienced auto transmission guy who is confident he can diagnose the problem free of charge. After that, who knows what it will cost.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:43 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi
Yes that would be a good option. I would be interested to know how it goes, please keep me in the picture.
regards

Old 10-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Tradon, did any dash lights come on? Matter of interest, where are you taking the car?

Also, I hope you're not in a fire prone area at the moment.

Regards

Rob

Old 10-17-2013, 11:43 PM
Default Gear box problem with 2005 x type

Hi There
I took the car to Advanced Automatic Transmissions (who came highly recommended) in West Ryde. On the drive down from the Mountains the car performed normally and did so when the transmission guy drove it. He put it on the computer and again no codes came up. He seems to think that the problem as I described it to him could be with the three speed sensors that are located inside the gear box. With wear and tear over time these can act up. It was suggested that further testing just to be sure before attempting a major operation which would mean taking the gear box out etc. It would be a big, labour-intensive job.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:45 PM
Default 2005 x type gear box problem

Hi Rob
No dash lights came on.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:34 AM
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Tradon, when mine had some dramas a couple of years back I too went into Rob at Advanced Auto (also highly recommended). Unfortunately my bill was just under $4k for sensors and a clutch pack, however I did have a "gearbox fault" message on the message centre. And you're right it is a labour intensive job, the parts were c$700, the labour the rest.

Rgds
Rob

Link to another Jag forum where I describe the gearbox problem: http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/f26/gea...734-38107.html

Last edited by Slocs; 10-18-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:01 PM

Thanks Rob
I asked Rob for a ball-park figure and he said around 3k which of course would have been a modest estimate so not to scare me away. As much as I love the car it's probably only worth about 9-10k on a trade-in, which, sadly, is what I am now considering.

The Jag Forum has been really helpful in clarifying things for me. Was the problem with your car fixed? Have you kept your Jag? I think I would love to buy an XKR but I could only afford one that is older than my x-type so to do so would be to treading the paths of the unknown- again.
Don (Tradon)

Old 10-19-2013, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

My understanding is that the solenoids get dirty and get stuck in open or close positions. It was explained to me by someone very familiar with the Jatco transmissions, that this is the reason why *sometimes* owners who start having transmission lights and failures at 40k miles and immediately change their fluid are able to keep on driving them past 100k miles; because the new fluid cleans the solenoids, which in turn start operating properly, which makes sense since transmission fluid is like detergent.

Have you tried draining the fluid out a couple of times? Nothing to loose if you are going to have it rebuild anyway.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:00 PM

Have a 2005 x-type. Reversed it out of driveway then realized that the engine light is on, plus a message "gearbox fault" plus another light on in the speedometer circle. Yes it's raining here at the moment. Approx. 2 months ago, I had a transmission flush done on my car.

Anyone has any idea as to what is going on with my car. My son wants me to keep this car for another year or two.
Freeda

Old 02-22-2022, 10:54 AM

I have a similar problem developed, only with mine, as I am driving along at say 50 mph, the car suddenly drops into second gear, and won't go back into top.
What I have to do is stop on the roadside, switch off and restart the car, and off I go again, until after a 1 / 2 mile it happens again !

Has anyone any solutions please?

Old 02-23-2022, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,782 Likes on 717 Posts

Hi jaggers,
Your post is devoid of any car details.....To help the members here to help you, please clarify what year, motor size, fuel type, transmission type you have.
Mileage too can help, along with some history of the car...
Also, are you getting a check engine or transmission error light coming up when the gearbox is exhibiting those downshifts?