X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Level Headlights Redux

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 08:43 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Auto Level Headlights Redux

As I mentioned I had the passenger side headlight repaired with a kit I found on Ebay. OK it fixed the light I think.

Now I noticed that both headlight are way out of adjustment, pointing down the height from the street to the middle of the bulb is just about 24". State law requires 25" to 27." I tried to adjust them late yesterday afternoon, I was able to get them up to about 24 1/2" and that was it. One thing I noticed when I turned on the headlight, I had the hood open and was standing outside the car and reach over the open door to turn on the lights, I did not hear the auto level motor turn on. Before the repair you could hear the motor turn on and cycle the headlights, inside the car. I am wondering if my mechanic might have blown a fuse for the motor on shorted something out. I noticed when he had the headlight out and repairing it on his bench, the car battery was not disconnected. Every electrical job I ever did, aside from replacing bulbs I always disconnected the battery. Any thoughts or advice, as June 1 is coming around and I need to get inspection or as our UK friends call it an MOT. These headlights as is won't pass. One final thing I checked the interior of the drivers side headlight and it appears not to have any broken parts inside. I used a large mirror with a telescopic handle and a LED flashlight so I had a pretty good look and lots of light. HELP PLEASE

Last edited by Adam Lueb; 05-30-2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: SPELLING
Old 05-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Smile Xenon HID Lights

D2C D2R D2S Xenon HID 6000K OEM Replacement Light Bulbs | eBay

Check out this auction two HID (?) for the $23. Around here one cost $100

Old 06-01-2011, 06:38 AM
Smile Auto Level headlights again

I pulled all the post on this forum about the HID auto levels and there was a lot of good info. I had my son turn on the key and I stuck my ear down and I could hear a click, click from the passenger side, from the drivers side nothing. I ruled out fuses, as these lights are on circuits with other functions so if he other functions work then the fuse is OK. I am wondering if I have been turning the adjustment screws the wrong way, I turned them counter clockwise and they barely move. Perhaps turning them clockwise is the correct way to make them higher? Anyone know? I am pretty burned out about this problem as I keep on seeing $$$$$ signs to have Jaguar fix them.

One other thing I forgot. This light problem started when the bushings were changed on the front and rear swaybars. In one of the post someone mentioned there are sensors under the car for the auto level function, but did not say where they were mounted. Anyone know where they are and what they look like. As always, thanks!

Last edited by Adam Lueb; 06-01-2011 at 07:16 AM. Reason: add text