X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aux port kit for '04 X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aux port kit for '04 X-Type

I noticed that Jaguar dealerships offer a module which fits inside the center console and the cost of like $400. I've also seen online electronic companies (Crutchfield, etc.) off double din replacement stereos (with AUX ports) that come with free install kits for the X-Type. Are there any other options? The dealership option seems great but pretty expensive. The replacement stereo would function great but how would the dashboard look. I might seem picky but I like it when the dashboard looks proper. A glossy black stereo with pulsing lights just doesn't fit my vision of a proper Jag. I've tried the FM transmitters that plug directly into the antennae jack and wasn't really impressed (with a previous SAAB). Just wondering if you've all found a great economical option for getting MP3 audio in your Jag.

Thanks.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Yeah, the OEM solution is the ACM, Audio Connectivity Module. A few sometimes make it to eBay, but they are expensive there as well. Also yeah, I too dislike flashing glossy headunits that look like alien training shoes having sex in a rave party.

If you have a tape deck, you can simply solder an AUX-IN lead to it. The mod supposedly provides a "CD-quality input", from what I can tell it is at least far superior to the (wireless) FM transmitters tried and the cassette adapters I used before, and I've been perfectly happy listening to it ever since.
How-To: DIY headunit hack for AUX-IN (on tape deck).
Photo/Link/Info Request - Aftermarket Headunits & AUX in Options

The following users liked this post:
newtojags (05-22-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 06:27 AM

My X-Type only has the CD slot, no tape deck. I'll keep looking for other options.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member

There's some discussion on whether the same mod is possible for the CD player in those threads.

If I had a CD player originally, I probably would've replaced it with a 2nd hand tape player just to do that mod.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:21 PM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

check out
https://www.isimplesolutions.com
looking into this myself for my iphone looks promising.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a monster cassette adapter sounds great maybe as good as an aux if I were you I would buy one and see it works for you go onto the radio settings and turn off the auto eject option and it'll b just like an aux cable..

Old 05-22-2014, 07:58 AM

wazrun, I do not have the cassette player. Only the CD.

Paulc732, this looks pretty cool. Have you bought one? The price is 300% cheaper then the dealership mod.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Actually I am very surprised no one has figured out a way to use the cd changer function to plug in a bluetooth or aux ports other than the jaguar part. Or maybe someone has and I am not aware. It seems that you would need a cable that plugs into the CD changer port and go from there.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

The issue with the CD changer approach is that it's a proprietary and fairly uncommon fibre optic network. It's practically impossible to tap into it.

Thus far, I reckon these are the options, somewhat from best to worst:
- Jaguar Audio Connectivity Module which "replaces" the CD changer, though there is a switch to select between the two.
- The AUX-IN mod for the tape deck, which provides CD-quality input from practically audio device.
- The iSimpli and the lot, which are FM modulators and hook into the radio antenna.
- Parrot MKi9000/9100/9200, which basically overrides the head unit itself and functions as an mp3 player.
- A cassette adapter for tape deck.
- FM transmitter (the two I tried were hopeless).

The AUX-IN mod is rather simple to do if you can solder. Seriously, if you want to keep the centre console stock-looking, get a 2nd hand tape deck from eBay and just try the mod.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:07 PM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

I have not got one yet I am looking to do it soon when I upgrade to the factory sat nav.
I do know that best buy sells and installs these

search xtype vids on youtube this is where I first heard of this.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:49 PM

Hi,

I've been trying to reverse engineer the CD-model to find a cheap solution to the missing AUX-in. However, after looking at schematics of the ICs (the "brain" SAA7706H see any PDF) and measuring on the actual unit with a oscillioscope, these are my findings

- even though the IC supports analouge inputs, the CD-version of this radio does not use any of the analouge inputs. Therefore you cannot simple add some RCA socket. Instead there are 2 possible hack-modifcation scenarios of which neither is cheap nor easy
a) you change the User Interface buttons, and re-wire so the analogue inputs can be selected
b) you add an A/D conversion and feed it into the I2C bus directly

By looking at the Electrical Guide for X400, your other option is to "build" your own ACM module, either by re-using a BOF (D2B) phone module or Voice Activation control module (but it might be complicated since they are not default in stereo). Potentially you could also reverse engineer the ACM, since the CD-changer also would require A/D conversion, but then I think it is easier to actual buy a new headunit (with aux and bluetooth) and create a fancy connection to either a (2nd hand) stationary phone or tablet. This will give you a much better and cheaper solution than the ACM unit.

That's my conclusions so far...so I will most likely go for a 1-DIN Headunit with BT and connect a 7-8" tablet to it for navigation, reverse-cam, ODB2 connection and anything else you would like to add ;-). By rooting the tablet/phone and installing apps like CarHome Ultra + the Headunit manufacturers controlling app you can get top sound quality + android capabilities at a very low price, at the cost of losing the original look. If that is a showstopper, I guess ACM is still the best option.

That's the road I think I will be taking - buying a Pioneer MVH-X580DAB on sale and adding a 2nd hand tablet and usb cam.

Comments on this?

/Magnus

Last edited by MagnusOfSweden; 11-25-2016 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Added my signature