Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Possible

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Battery Possible

Hi guys
Used my 2004 X type last night everything was fine .Parked it on my driveway. Came out this afternoon to use it . Would not turn over just a clicking sound from the dash and door locks were making a clicking noise . Turned off the key and the door locks continued to make the clicking sound.
Disconnected the battery and naturally it stopped put it on charge it was showing a full charge on my battery Charger gauge.
The weather is brutal here in Kentucky my drive way was about 110 deg.
Do you thing a cell collapse would cause these issues? Caused by this intense heat.
Looks like it is the original battery.
Any other things what could cause this ?

Ideas anyone.

Thanks

john.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mac
Hi guys
Used my 2004 X type last night everything was fine .Parked it on my driveway. Came out this afternoon to use it . Would not turn over just a clicking sound from the dash and door locks were making a clicking noise . Turned off the key and the door locks continued to make the clicking sound.
Disconnected the battery and naturally it stopped put it on charge it was showing a full charge on my battery Charger gauge.
The weather is brutal here in Kentucky my drive way was about 110 deg.
Do you thing a cell collapse would cause these issues? Caused by this intense heat.
Looks like it is the original battery.
Any other things what could cause this ?

Ideas anyone.

Thanks

john.

Hey John

I have never seen so many battery charging issues as we have had over the last few weeks. I think we had 1 issue throughout the whole winter so I'm thinking you might be right. I know I've got the original battery in mine and I unscrewed the tops on the cells and half of them had the cell exposed above the liquid.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

John, it is very likely. What I would tell you to do is if you have your hands on a multimeter, connect it across the battery the next time it won't start and first see what the battery voltage is (should be 12.6 VDC with the car off and the doors shut, if not, charge the battery). Now, with the multimeter still connected up across the battery, attempt to start the car. If the voltage stays up at 12.5-12.6 VDC, you more than likely have an issue with the switch inside the car or the associated wiring (write me if this is the case). If the voltage drops to the 11.0-12.0 range, then your starter or the wiring going to the starter is dead (you can repeat the test using the post on the starter and that will tell you if it is the cabling or the starter). If the battery drops under 11.0 VDC, then you have a bad cell in the battery, replace the battery.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I had almost the exact same thing happen to me this winter. Car drove fine night before and then the following morning the car wouldnt start and all I could get was a clicking sound when turning the key. Took the battery in and found it had a couple bad cells. I guess its possible they just go bad overnight. Get your battery checked. It's a cheap and easy fix if that's the problem.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update.

Thanks for the response's . My battery was shot. just happened overnight. Cells collapste Original battery.
pretty good from the original battery 7 years.
Back to working fine.

John.

The following users liked this post:
Norri (07-29-2011)
Old 07-29-2011, 07:44 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to hear that fixed it for you. I know I was pretty happy to walk away with just replacing the battery when this happened to me.