X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Venting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 08:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Battery Venting?

I need to replace the battery in my 2006 X-Type Sport. Here in the USA, I'm getting the Interstate 94R, which looks exactly like the Jaguar battery the dealer used about 31/2 years ago in a previous replacement.

My question is about venting the battery. There is a vent hose in my battery box, but it is not connected to the battery as shown in the Jaguar parts diagram. I don't know if it just wasn't replaced and reconnected by the dealer, or it was never there and connected to the original battery.

I've also read elsewhere in this forum that the new batteries come with an external vent fitting that is often not used and thrown away by the installer.

Finally, there also seems to be differing opinions on the importance or necessity of venting the battery at all.

I'd enjoy hearing others thoughts on this topic.

Thanks!!!

Old 01-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Kevin, first off, you need to know if you have a sealed battery or if you have a non-sealed battery. A sealed battery will not have any vent at all. So, it is possible that the new battery that got installed by the dealership was sealed and therefore they just left the vent in the box should you get a battery that needs a vent in the future.

The importance of the vent is simply to allow venting of any hydrogen to an area where it cannot build up in concentration and then lead to an explosion. I am sure you are wondering where the hydrogen comes from. that is easy. When you have water with something suspended in it (doesn't matter if it is salt, an acid, a base, etc), this causes the water to become more conductive. So, current can not pass through the water. When you pass current through the water, it will break down into hydrogen and oxygen. So, in theory you can get a mix of hydrogen and oxygen inside a sealed battery box and you happen to get some sort of spark inside, it will make a nice bang and potientially lead to a nasty situation.

If you have more questions, let me know. I used to work around batteries capable of powering small towns. So, this is where hydrogen build up can become a very likely thing.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:26 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, Chris. Very helpful.

I'll do a little more research on the battery to try to determine whether or not it's sealed.

FWIW, the dealer installed battery, as well as the Interstate Battery both have 6 access ports on the top. You can unscrew the caps and add water if necessary.

Maybe this means they're not sealed?

K