X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beep noise and banging noise

Old 01-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Beep noise and banging noise

Now and then when I am out driving either city of highway I hear one beep in the car. It happened yesterday, the first time in a while. I checked the dash and there were no trouble lights on and the car was running very well. Anyone have any ideas what this might be.
The banging noise I had mentioned a couple of times under the car toward the front, turned out to be a broken exhaust hanger and if the car hit a bump a certain way I'd hear this. Had it fixed at a local shop $25. As the old Doo Wop song goes, I'm so happy as happy as can be......

Old 01-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

is it around 0 when you here the beep? Might be the low outside temp warning

Old 01-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Smile Beep

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
is it around 0 when you here the beep? Might be the low outside temp warning
It was 27 degrees F. I assume you are stating 0 C? I forgot about that feature my Benz did the same thing when the temp dropped below 32F Yesterday it was in the low 30's F no beep, but I will note the temp if I hear it again. What is 0 C compared to 32F?

Old 01-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

my tape deck makes a beep every so often - I think it must be a reminder to clean the tape heads... I have a casette adaptor in the tape to use for my hands free phone speaker.... so yes.. I DO use the tape deck LOL

Old 01-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

0 c = 32 f! °f = (°c × 1.8) + 32 °c = (°f − 32) /1.8

Last edited by Razkid; 01-08-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

I have theories on the beep - I think that your climate control beeps every time it reaches the set temperature. Of course, it also beeps when the recycle air turns off after the 10 minute timer when you tap the button. Could it be something like this?

Old 01-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
It was 27 degrees F. I assume you are stating 0 C? I forgot about that feature my Benz did the same thing when the temp dropped below 32F Yesterday it was in the low 30's F no beep, but I will note the temp if I hear it again. What is 0 C compared to 32F?
that was the beep then, when it goes around freezing it beeps, drove me nuts for a while. 0 C is freezing so 32 F. I am of the age that I still try to convert everything to non metric but am fighting a losing battle in Canada. I admit it's simpler to be metric but being raised on feet and inches and miles not kilometers.....

You son mentioned you were in the hospital, is everything OK still?

Old 01-11-2011, 07:12 AM
Smile Beep

that was the beep then, when it goes around freezing it beeps, drove me nuts for a while. 0 C is freezing so 32 F. I am of the age that I still try to convert everything to non metric but am fighting a losing battle in Canada. I admit it's simpler to be metric but being raised on feet and inches and miles not kilometers.....

You son mentioned you were in the hospital, is everything OK still?
I watch the UK Top Gear a lot and I noticed they use MPH when talking about top speeds of cars, yet I was watching a GT race from Brands Hatch going into the pit lane it had a Euro speed sign at 60 which I assume is K's.

No things are not good with my health, I am going back to the hospital this Friday and according to how a test goes I might not be coming home for a while.

The only metrics I have mastered is meters, beyond that I am lost.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:19 AM
Smile Beep

Originally Posted by blaydes99
I have theories on the beep - I think that your climate control beeps every time it reaches the set temperature. Of course, it also beeps when the recycle air turns off after the 10 minute timer when you tap the button. Could it be something like this?

I haven't heard it lately as it has been below 32 degrees when I get in the car, I assume it beeps at that temp or 0 degrees metric. I don't know anything about the recycle air thing U wrote or turning off after 10 minutes timer when you tap the button can you explain further? Also I didn't know that the climate control beeps when it reaches the set temp either. I thought it beeped when the temp went below freezing. My Benz did this. I didn't read to much about how the HVAC works.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:30 AM
Smile Beep

Originally Posted by sport30
my tape deck makes a beep every so often - I think it must be a reminder to clean the tape heads... I have a casette adaptor in the tape to use for my hands free phone speaker.... so yes.. I DO use the tape deck LOL
Interesting, after I heard the beep I noticed a day or so later that my CD's were not sounding good. So I ran a CD cleaner disk in the deck. They sound much better. Connection?, I don't know I did read thru the radio manual and didn't read anything about beeps when the deck needed cleaning. But I might have missed that.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Banned

My (Canadian) car for certain does not beep when it reaches the climat set point. It also does not beep when the temp outside gets cold. I get a brief message below the speedo when it gets cold. Contrary to most who post here, the message goes away on my car after a few seconds. Must be an '02 thing or a Canadian thing.
I am sure that Jag has the ability to program a beep for all kinds of things ,and I also have no trouble believing that there are many variations of what give a beep. Month by month production, and region by region, changes happen all the time with this type of feature. Smaller car manufactureres tend to make these kinda changes without strict procedures.

Also, the cold message comeson BEFORE the road ices, the only useful reason is to warn the driver that the temps is approaching the freezing point. It is really kinda dumb to tell the driver after it is frozen. I cant remember the number but I think it is 2?3?4? degrees celcius that the message appears. I think it is quite a useful message when on a long drive with changing conditions. Driving from Montreal to Toronto, the temp can vary 10 degrees, I for one like to know when the wet road could be getting slippy.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Smile Beeps

I spent a couple of minutes yesterday pressing the buttons on the Hvac controls. Ever button beeps, even the temp control buttons. Man these are beeping cars.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member

I spent a couple of minutes yesterday pressing the buttons on the Hvac controls. Ever button beeps, even the temp control buttons. Man these are beeping cars.
On the radio, if you press and hold the mode button (I think) you can turn off the beeps, that's what I did, I now have a beep free car.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Smile Beep Beep

On the radio, if you press and hold the mode button (I think) you can turn off the beeps, that's what I did, I now have a beep free car.
Thanks for the tip, but the beeping really doesn't bother me, I just find it ironic perhaps that every button beeps, even the F/c button to change the temp from F to C. Also I was out in the car a short time ago and it was 27 degrees F I pressed the F/C button and it read -4 degrees C. My question is what is 32 degrees F in C is it 0 degrees C. But -4C is 27C there is a missing number as there is only 3 degrees difference with 27F and 32F what is -1, -2, -3 C degrees in F? I know this sounds like a stupid question but I am curious about how this works. I tried to figure out Kelvin once and just shook my Head.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Banned

OMG.... i am biting my tongue so hard it is bleeding....

Old 01-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the tip, but the beeping really doesn't bother me, I just find it ironic perhaps that every button beeps, even the F/c button to change the temp from F to C. Also I was out in the car a short time ago and it was 27 degrees F I pressed the F/C button and it read -4 degrees C. My question is what is 32 degrees F in C is it 0 degrees C. But -4C is 27C there is a missing number as there is only 3 degrees difference with 27F and 32F what is -1, -2, -3 C degrees in F? I know this sounds like a stupid question but I am curious about how this works. I tried to figure out Kelvin once and just shook my Head.
32 = 0. Then it get's weird. I can't figure it out and just assume the reading is correct. I usually just press the convert button f/c to see what the 'real' tempature is.