X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big favour required

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 06:16 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Big favour required

Hello ladies and gents, I hope everybody is keeping well in these strange and dangerous times. I need a big favour from you. I recently had a new n/s wing fitted to the car and respray, since then I've noticed the car has leaked water into the driver foot well. I've had the carpet out as far as I can without taking the car completely to pieces, and cant find where its coming from. MY next thought is could there be a seal missing on the bulkhead where the window screen wiper motor and wing all meet. I've pain stakenly searched the tinterweb but cant find anything. I'm now hoping one of you kind enthusiasts could take a photo or just check if this joint is sealed in any way for me and come back? Its the join between the inner bulk head and left inside wing underneath the widow wiper motor plastic cover. Its a big favour to ask but if anybody is changing the wiper arms or motor you'd have to take the cover off to access. All I can think of the rain runs down through this gap along the seal for the electrics then into the car, but I'm really clutching at straws. Any other ideas very welcome.

Old 04-13-2020, 07:57 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,838 Likes on 3,156 Posts

Hex, I am betting that you are having an issue with the recirc door. That would allow water into the air intake and then it gets dumped at your feet through the blower motor. If you pull the cowl off of the car (will need to remove the wiper arms), you should see a baffle that will direct any water coming down the windshield away from the door in the firewall. I want to say that you also need to look at the seal of the cowl where it touches the windshield. This also helps re-direct the water away from the cavity for the recirc door.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:57 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Mate, I did look at this last year when we spoke about it and had many a happy hour stood there with a bottle of water running down the window screen to no avail.! But by sheer fluke i think I've just found it, Had the usual carpet ripped out I've cut back the sound / heat proofing and its dry all round the top area. I poured yet another bottle of water directly in to the bulkhead and no leaks. Then to my amazement the ex missus turned up with an Easter egg for my daughter so I had a painful chat for 5 minutes. Went back to the car still nothing, so was reluctantly putting everything back together and just had a hunch to move the said filter, low and behold some of the water had seeped through taking time and was visible running into the cabin. It must track along the bulk head somehow to the other side (driver side) and settle in the foot well in a delayed fashion. It was baffling me the water was in the bottom foot well but the heat shield was not wet any where higher up, and water does not run upwards, even in today's crazy world. Next problem is where to find some silicone sealant to fix it now in the current climate.