Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BRAKES...WHAT CHA GOT???help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 09:14 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default BRAKES...WHAT CHA GOT???help please

hey all,
so im looking for brakes for my gfs 02 x-type 3.0 auto.
i have noticed a big lack of options....i wanted to get hawlk caramic pads for her but i cant find them for the jag...infact i cant find any caramic pads.

im running R1Concepts drilled and slotted rotors and Satisfied Pro Ceramic pads on my CTS and they work amazing,. so i want somwthing similar quality.

her rotors are still great, just need a good quality street pad for her car, front and back.

suggustions as to what you have, model number would be great if possible, where you got them from, or if you know where i could order some from.

Thanks for any info you can share....i really dont want to result to going to Jag dealer...they wanted $80 +tax and other enviro fees for a oil change using standard oil....RIP OFF

im in Canada btw so i would prefer canada or usa shopping.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

MIke, I have also upgraded to the cross drilled/slotted rotors. I don't recall the pad that came with the rotors, but it was a full ceramic pad. A lot of members have switched over to the EBC greenstuff and redstuff brake pads. They are a ceramic pad that makes very little dust and gives great performance for stopping. Check out http://www.ebcbrakes.com. That will give you a start on where to find the pads that most members agree are about as good as you will get.

Hope this helps. I have a feeling that if I wear out these pads, I will be upgrading to the redstuff pads myself.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:12 PM

hey thanks for the tip thermo, i have heard of them before...actually years ago i considered them fror my own car...but i ended up selling the car first lol.

ill start looking into where i can get these from,

anyone else have suggustions to open my search window to other brands?

Old 08-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I had redstuff ceramics on my X Type (and the turbo grooved/dimpled discs) all around.Vast improvement in stopping.Was that pleased have just taken delivery of some for the XJ....Re the dust.....virtually none.What very little there is easily wipes off....infact its probably just road grime.With EBCbrakesdirect.com entering scooby58 in at checkout gives further disount and free shipping (UK).

Old 08-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I bought mine from this site. Actually have bought all kinds of parts from them and always have received great service and great parts. You can see you have many choices for pads, including ceramic.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sh...ar/x_type.html

Old 08-13-2009, 11:56 AM

thanks for the help guys... my gf called the store next to her house that i told her there was no chance they had the EBC brakes for her car....well [guess what.......they have them in the warehouse and wil be at the store tomorrow....i really cant believe it....especially since i work at the warehouse and have never seen a single automotive product come in or out from EBC....so i dont know what warehouse they are getting it from..im checking our inventory list tomorrow.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:10 PM

So the greenstuff pads are on...they have antisieze on them..but wow they squeel...I know the website says they will for the first 1000km or so..but I seated them really good and prob around 500k on them now and still loud, maybe even worse...any thoughts...will they be quiet?

Old 08-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Brake dust cleaner or WD40 ?
Mine squeaks too but sometimes doesn't at all

Old 08-21-2009, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

Did you replace or turn the rotors before you put the EBC's on? If not, the break in period will be longer as the pads are shaped to the form of the rotor. You will get some chatter as the pad vibrates within the caliper due to the mis-shapen rotor.

If you did replace the rotors, then did you lube the upper and lower pad shelves on the caliper assembly?

Old 08-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Brakes: a repost

Those of you who have my TC kit know I like to do things and do them right.

I did my brakes this weekend ('03 2.5 Auto) and here's why and what I found.

My brakes felt a little mushy and a little weak. They didn't give me much confidence and once when I had to really get on them they just didn't grab. Plus, the pedal seemed to be a bit low and on long highway trips they seemed to fade a bit.

After much research, I bought a set of EBC Redstuf front and rear pads and a set of four EBC slotted rotors from Jeg's. I also got a can of ATE SL6 brake fluid. (Get the blue fluid, easier to see, same price)

First, my rotors looked pretty good and I was amazed to see that the pads looked almost new! Very little wear! So why were the brakes so crummy?

Anyway, off came the pads & rotors (Use the JTIS Manual you get on CD or download. Just follow the instructions) One tip I have here; break the bleeder's loose to retract he caliper pistons so you don't force fluid backward through the anti-lock breaks. I have an old brake bleeder, basically a one-way valve on a piece of clear tubing, and I used a glass jar to bleed the system Another tip; break the bleeder valves loose with an 11mm socket then use an open end wrench to do the bleeding. Finally, sock them tight again with the socket. That way you won't round off the little buggers.

I cleaned the rotors three times with brake cleaner and paper towels till the paper towels came off the rotor clean.

I sanded the hub lightly where the rotor fits to get off the small amounts of rust and scale and brushed the mating surface LIGHTLY with Never-Seize in case they ever have to come off again.

JTIS says not to reuse the bolts that hold on the calipers and carriers, but my local dealer didn't have new bolts and a service tech at the dealer said he never replaced bolts so, I reused my bolts. I used blue LocTite so they'd stay put and still be removable and torqued them to spec.

I flushed the entire system and reinstalled the road wheels using Never-Seize on the lug nuts and a torque wrench to get them to spec.

Then I took the car to a local industrial park and did the five stops from 40mph with one minute in between for cooling.

The result: they work flawlessly. Absolutely dead silent, high pedal, quick grab, no fading.

If you've heard that Redstuf and/or slotted rotors are noisy, they are not. If you've heard that the slotted rotors can shudder they don't. If you've heard that Redstuf Ceramic pads take a long time to seat or are hard to seat, they don't and aren't.

Bottom line: do the job carefully and pay attention to details (including using a torque wrench whenever there is a torque spec (INCLUDING LUG NUTS!!!!) and you'll find that things work as expected.

And by the way, the most important thing I did was flush the system and replace the fluid. If you have a low pedal or spongy feel or fading or low braking, start with a fluid change. You will be amazed at the difference. Then change your brake fluid at least every two years (I'll do mine every year from now on, cheap insurance and instant brake upgrade) and you will be pleasantly surprised at how good the brakes are on your X-Type. And by the way, never, and I mean NEVER, use Dot5 fluid. In anything.3

Hope this is useful to you guys.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

good post Wild Bill. My procedures are very similar to what you laid out. I also use ATE Super Blue in all my vehicles - stuff works great. Seems more resistant to moisture in the lines and you keep a hard pedal longer, plus it has a higher boiling point.

I use a Mity vac to bleed, but it can be done via the old pump method. Start with the wheel farthest from the master cylinder and work your way around farthest to closest.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Bill
First, my rotors looked pretty good and I was amazed to see that the pads looked almost new! Very little wear! So why were the brakes so crummy?
Totally agree 100% about the EBC
The brakes on cars 2001-2004.5 are EXACTLY the same discs,pads and calipers as carried over from the UK MK3 Ford Mondeo.

From memory the X-type weighs over 3600lbs but the Mondeo only weighs around 3400lbs (kerb weights).
Maybe this has something to do with the long term brake problems we had as the pads and discs were altered from 2004.5MY IIR?

Old 08-24-2009, 08:27 PM

hey guys, thanks for the info. my gf told me today the squeeking is gone. she says it stops good..nothing crazy but good.
the rotors i did not replace and did not turn, they only had about 10,000km on them..they were replaced when she got the car allong with really crappy pads....

my drilled and slotted on my cts make a little shimmy on the highway..they are seated properly and they make a woosh sound...ive heard this is all normal, my mechanic also said its normal..mine is barely noticeable, i just notice it cuz its my car. i will be swapping my tierods and other suspension parts over the winter to CTS-V which should make things a little more solid...this is if i dont just give in and buy the cts-v...man would i love 400+hp stock 4dr sedan

now someone chime in on my help with headlights thread please!!!

Old 08-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put EBC Greenstuff on the front and rear of my wife's Subaru and on the front of my X-type.

Great braking results, no noise, but a lot of black dust.

Next time I will try Redstuff for comparison.

Brian.