X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken front spring, again only 2 months since repair...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken front spring, again only 2 months since repair...?

Couple of months ago I had to get the top mount bearing and spring replaced as the top of the spring had broken off and knackered the bearing too.

Barely couple of months have passed and now when stationary or moving very slowly I can here the spring twanging as I move the steering.

Bit of a coincidence... any ideas what might be causing this to happen again?

Old 04-18-2015, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Sounds as though the top bearing is seized/broken/incorrectly fitted (or not actually replaced?) and you're winding the new spring up/down as you go lock to lock.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bit of an update, I took the car back to the garage a couple of week back and the mechanic has a bit of a poke around then said everything was ok (clearly wasn't).

Then a few days ago I had a bit of a look under the bonnet to see if anything was loose on the top side. I immediately noticed a couple of things. The thread at the top of the damper was sticking up more than on the otherside and also the it was off centre. I started the car and turned the steering back and forth and the thing was moving about!!

I took it back and yesterday/today they put a new top mount on and said the other was broken again. New part (this time better quality version) and exactly the same... ??? Its clunking over bumps. The silver top of the damper is so far up it is showing unthreaded part so the nut is not running down to the body to clamp the whole thing up.

What are the garage doing wrong if they're managing to fit it wrong both times? Is there a piece missing underneath?

Could the problem be with the replacement spring I had with the initial top mount? If it was too short could it cause the issue?

Its going back in again next week but getting pretty fed up with all the messing about.

Any ideas?