Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Advice for a High Mile X Type

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 10:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Buying Advice for a High Mile X Type

Hi Guys First Time poster!

Decided to get an X Type, Looking at High Mileage ones as i believe its how the car is looked after as opposed to how many miles its done, also only looking to keep for a couple of years and not worried about resale.

But i do not want to buy one that will cost me money (other than brakes, tires etc) over those couple of years.

With your experience, what do you suggest i lookout for in a high mileage x type around 7/8 years old?

Old 02-15-2016, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

What do you consider high mileage?

2007-2008 would fit your criteria and by then not as many were sold. You might want to consider cars even older than that as not a whole lot changed mechanically after they changed the transfer case from viscous coupling in 2004. Then they changed the steering wheel style as well. So, as long as you know they were well taken care of with regular fluid changes you could also have a pretty reliable car even if it is older.

When a car gets around the age you are looking and older it's next to impossible to say you won't spend any money on anything except routine maintenance. Some things start to get age related and just start to wear out. Like you said, if you are confident it was well maintained chances are minimized that something expensive would be on the near horizon. Minimized, but not eliminated.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

The following users liked this post:
newbee (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 11:12 AM

Thanks,

I am looking at around 200,000 miles give or take 20,000 - UK seems to have a bit of a stigma with cars over 100k but i think as long as it has been serviced there should not be an issue.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

ALL MACHINERY WEARS!! With that said, find a car where EVERYTHING functions well, so you do not start behind the 8 ball right away.

Once you find this car, change all the fluids, and possibly hoses and belts, if needed. This includes flushing(not a drain and fill) of the transmission. I also replaced the lubricant in my transfer case and rear differential. After all this is complete, you should have a fighting chance at a relatively trouble free car, if you don't persist in adding upgrades, or modifying the car in some way. This is how I have kept my car on the road.

My car did come with a very well documented service history, so I knew what I was up against from the start. Best of luck.........Mike

Old 02-15-2016, 02:16 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by newbee
Thanks,

I am looking at around 200,000 miles give or take 20,000 - UK seems to have a bit of a stigma with cars over 100k but i think as long as it has been serviced there should not be an issue.
At that mileage, I would also be ready to change all the shift solenoids in the transmission. It is not a difficult job in the x-type.

Further, expect to put new shocks and bushings in, if the previous owner didn't. This isn't as easy as it could be.

Additionally, expect to change the valve cover gaskets. While you are back there, new spark plugs won't hurt. And be ready to put in new ignition coils. None of this is difficult, but it does take time.

Finally, based on my experience, you will likely be looking at changing the oil pan gasket. I have been procrastinating this job on mine...

The climate control tends to require various maintenance, too.

Unless the previous owner has done all of this, it is not unreasonable to expect to have to do it on a car with 200,000 miles on it.

For the most part, none of it is that difficult though. ;-)

Last edited by jaggedy; 02-15-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:54 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

I personally would advise against it..The money spent getting it to stay running safely and dependably could be better spent on a newer model/ lower miles. Especially with the X-type

Old 02-16-2016, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by DPK
I personally would advise against it..The money spent getting it to stay running safely and dependably could be better spent on a newer model/ lower miles. Especially with the X-type
#1 question is.... How much $ are you looking to spend for an x type?
There are many very cheap x's.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:07 AM

Off to look at one this afternoon 200k - has full service history and only 2 owner 08 plate looking to offer him 1500 - looks in good order and from a "good area" i know this is not certain but they look after the cars.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:02 AM

Just a quick update, yesterday bought the 2008 x - type.

Really happy with it. only slight issue is cracked indictor on the passenger door mirror.

full service history and last service 1500 miles ago / 6 weeks ago.

managed to pick it up for 1500

Just put it through an mot and passed

only advisable is rear tires a little worn.

Cannot believe how much car you get for the money. Very happy boy!

Old 02-19-2016, 07:26 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

Good Luck..

Not to sound like a pessimist...But start a little savings account just for the Jag..

Old 02-19-2016, 10:42 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by newbee
Just a quick update, yesterday bought the 2008 x - type.

Really happy with it. only slight issue is cracked indictor on the passenger door mirror.

full service history and last service 1500 miles ago / 6 weeks ago.

managed to pick it up for 1500

Just put it through an mot and passed

only advisable is rear tires a little worn.

Cannot believe how much car you get for the money. Very happy boy!
Congratulations!

I, too, am very happy with my X-Type, and it brings me joy to be able to continue to drive it every day.

You will find a wealth of knowledge in these forums, and a good group of people happy to try to help you keep your Jag on the road!

Old 02-19-2016, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X Type hints

I had a 2003 x-type. Got into a fender bender. It had 135,000 miles on it. The repairs caused the insurance company to total the car and give me $4,300. I was pleased with the car.
As noted by another responder, the transfer case is a "sealed unit". I found that Jaguar once stated somewhere that Castrol 90-140 synthetic for older cars (available at local parts stores) was approved (I have forgotten the exact description they gave). I fitted a 1/4 NPT drain plug in the case and added the same mount of lube that I drained out.
The other process I read about included driving the car onto a slope and placing the drivers door on the low side and draining thru the inspection plug located on the drivers side. Then put the passenger door on the down side and fill it thru the inspection plug with a specified amount.
The old fluid was black. Maybe moly, or?. Since this unit, as I understand it, is friction coupled, i suspect the black was metal "shiney dust". This txfr system splits the power 54%/46%, as I recall. This is full contact slippage.
The other problems were worn front sway bar bushes and a couple of failing coils on the rear bank.
You have a good car worthy of your fixit skills. They do not hold up well when hit in an intersection!!
ENJOY
I'm on my 7th JAGUAR, love 'em.

Don't bother with the pan gasket. BUY KITTY LITTER!!

Old 02-20-2016, 09:28 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

Jag Nut offered up some good info although a little incomplete in some areas...

Just clarify but not to dispute...

2003 and older has the Viscous coupling type Transfer cases...Either type use synthetic lube oil, at the weight of 75w140 as is the rear differential...The power split is 60/40 biased to the front wheels..There is a drain plug on the transfer case only..you have to jack the car as high as you can without tipping it over, from the right side to drain most of it out if any is actually left, and then jack from the left side to fill it through the drain hole..About .65 to .7 liters is about all it will hold...

The filled/sealed for life Campaign Jaguar was promoting, lead to the demise of a lot of Transfer cases and transmissions that never got serviced. Read the forums here and see what folks have done to keep their Jag X's running in these regards..