XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1993 XJ40 non working speedo, abs light on, brake warning light

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 08:28 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1993 XJ40 non working speedo, abs light on, brake warning light

So,

I have done my research, and my threefold problems seem to be related.

The problems are:

Engine on and running:

ABS warning light on
No working speedo while driving
Bulb failure warning light on

When I step on the brake the brake warning light comes on.

The funny thing is my brakes are very good. The pedal isn't hard. Although I can push it too the floor if I really try.

I've read the ABS codes I get codes:

21 is the "Main ABS selenoid"
34 is LH Rear sensor faulty

As I understand it my pedal tripping the warning light should be my pump for brake assist, although I still have plenty of assist.

My speedo should be ought due to LH rear sensor, correct? Thing is, I've ready the 93/94 models used the RF sensor, not LR.

Anyone have any knowledge on this? Is my accumulator bad even though my pedal hasn't gone 1960's on me? At idle if I mash the pedal and let off it will immediatly start pumping again...

cheers

Old 02-09-2016, 10:15 AM
Received 12,722 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Originally Posted by scuby
ABS warning light on
No working speedo while driving
Bulb failure warning light on

When I step on the brake the brake warning light comes on.

The funny thing is my brakes are very good. The pedal isn't hard. Although I can push it too the floor if I really try.

I've read the ABS codes I get codes:

21 is the "Main ABS selenoid"
34 is LH Rear sensor faulty
Hi scuby,

I've only got a minute so I can't look this up, but here are a few thoughts:

1. Your bulb failure warning means a bulb is either out, its socket is corroded, or there is some other issue prompting a Bulb Failure Module to report a problem. I doubt this is related to your brake issues. When looking for the bulb that is not working, don't forget to check high beam headlamps (main beams?), all the brake lights, all the fog lamps, all the side marker lamps, and the license plate/number plate lamps.

2. I can never keep straight which wheel speed sensor provides the reference for the speedometer, but the wheel speed sensors connect to the ABS Module, which then provides the actual speed signal for the speedometer. That would prompt me to do a full check of the ABS Module electrical connector for water ingress/corrosion, and I believe some owners have had to resolder connections on the inside of the module due to cold solder joints/cracked joints. Search the forum for ABS Module using the Advanced Search function under the Tools tab.

I know we have some members who have been through the ABS Module issue - hopefully one of them will come along soon and give us the details.

Cheers,

Don

Old 02-09-2016, 01:02 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi scuby,

I've only got a minute so I can't look this up, but here are a few thoughts:

1. Your bulb failure warning means a bulb is either out, its socket is corroded, or there is some other issue prompting a Bulb Failure Module to report a problem. I doubt this is related to your brake issues. When looking for the bulb that is not working, don't forget to check high beam headlamps (main beams?), all the brake lights, all the fog lamps, all the side marker lamps, and the license plate/number plate lamps.

2. I can never keep straight which wheel speed sensor provides the reference for the speedometer, but the wheel speed sensors connect to the ABS Module, which then provides the actual speed signal for the speedometer. That would prompt me to do a full check of the ABS Module electrical connector for water ingress/corrosion, and I believe some owners have had to resolder connections on the inside of the module due to cold solder joints/cracked joints. Search the forum for ABS Module using the Advanced Search function under the Tools tab.

I know we have some members who have been through the ABS Module issue - hopefully one of them will come along soon and give us the details.

Cheers,

Don
Thanks for that quick and pretty comprehensive reply Don!

I had the car on the lift today and using a multimeter determined there was a break in the LH rear sensors wiring. No resistance on the Ohm meter on the left side. The right side showed within spec.

If the sensor was dead you'd expect to see an open loop, not a broken loop. Hence I drew the conclusion of a break in the wiring.

To confirm that the Left Rear sensor is indeed the one needed for the speedometer I disconnected them both in the trunk and plugged the right rear (measured within spec) into the left rears wiring. Started her up and presto the speedometer works!

When I had the wheel off pull the LR sensor and visually inspect everything I cleaned it up. It was very dirty. After that I found the break in the LR sensors wire, it had been replaced before and been crimped too tightly. I got lucky. Cut, measure to make sure the sensor is good, solder, measure again, insulate, plug both back in and all is well again.

No more ABS light on working speedometer. That's one down.

As for my bulb failure warning light. I forgot I missing license plate light. Ahem... take care of that first then

The biggest question mark up next is the brake warning light. Having the wheels off today I can see that all four discs are excessivly worn and the pads too. Thought:

could the basically on there last 10% both pads and rotors brakes be causing the depth of brake pedal and the extra assist the pump keep offering? It still bites well, the pedal isn't hard but the brakes are in dire need of replacement. Or is that wishful thinking?

Old 02-15-2016, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 789 Posts

That brake warning light is , I believe, sometimes turned on by the brake pad wear sensors. They are mounted in the inside brake pads and face to the rotors. When the pads wear, the sensors come up against the rotors and complete the circuit causing the light to come on. They need to be replaced along with the pads. Good luck!