X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/c heat question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default A/c heat question

Hello every one....This is my first post on here. I have a 2003 X-type 3.0 sport and just LOVE the car. It is awsome! I have noticed that when I have the heat/ac on the air is only coming out of the two top vents for the driver side and nothing comes out of the passenger side vents. What could it be?

Old 03-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

Trevor, sounds like a damper issue inside the dash. If you feel like tackling this yourself, let me know. It isn't a hard job, but you need to be able to work in semi-confined spaces.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hummm....what all is involved? Any threads or pics? Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
On my 2004 X Type Sport (non-Navi climate control) I am experiencing what I believe to be much like Trevor, but on the opposite side. Bought the car used in December 2010 so when the A/C was tested, felt cold. Now that it is starting to warm up here, I see what new issue I now have. The force of air blowing from the front facing vents (not defroster vents) is more powerful on the passenger side than the driver. When the heater is on, hot air blows out the passenger side (1 center and 1 closest to window). Cooler warm air blows out of the driver side (1 center and 1 closest to window). If the vents are closed on the passenger side, the force and temperature is a little more but just not right. When the A/C is turned on, this really shows the true difference and issue with the climate system. Cold air blows out of the passenger side (1 center and 1 closest to window) and luke warm air blows out of the driver side (1 center and 1 closest to window). Again, closing passenger side vents improves the force of air on the driver side, but does not provide an acceptable increase of cold air (not to mention why would I have to close vents when there should be equal pressure temperature flow across the system)?

Has anyone opened up the dash to inspect on what would cause this type of air flow/temperature difference? A tube usually or possibly disconnect inside the dash that is prone to this? TSB available? IS it an air flow problem stemming from the cabin air filter? If yes, is there a side that should be disassembled (to eliminate disassembling the whole dash)? I installed a brand new A/C Conditioning Compressor recently with new belts and a complete recharge was performed (1lb 134A), so it should be ice cold inside, but it is not. I have had two shops inspect the issue but both have come back that they need to tear the dash apart to get in there which just labor to do so is >$700 (just dash).

Any information on the issue or disassembly in the appropriate area of the dash (driver or passenger) to trouble shoot or resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Also on a side note, if I do need to have the dash taken apart, and this may or may not be in another thread, but is there a way to install or increase the blower power? Just thinking if I have the dash taken apart can I suggest or have the mechanics install this?

Take care everyone!