X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camsprocket timing mark

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 09:53 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Camsprocket timing mark

Hi guy! This is old scoot with timing set problem again: The first time set the timing after replaced the head gaskets I based on the mark I've put them on when I removed the cam shafts(they were washed out most of them). second time I used the round dots indented on the sprockets. engine still not start. Now I'm ready to re-set the timing for the third time: Now I see on the inlet cam sprockets had only one white round indented dot, but on the exhaust cam sprockets had round indented dot and rectangular raised mark; Which mark should I base on to reset the cam timing on the inlet and exhaust cam sprockets? I should ask Thermo when we met.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Thang, looking at the repair manual for the car, you should be using the rectangular (I call them Tic Tacs since that is what they look like) markings. If you are standing at the front of the engine (ie, side where the timing chain is), the left bank will have the marks at the 8 o'clock position on the outer camshaft and the 1 o'clock position for the inner cam. Please keep in mind that you have to turn your head slightly as this is referenced to being inline with the cylinder. If you are looking at the engine with how it sits in the car, then you would be using the 7 o'clock and noon position.

For the right bank, it will be the mirror setup (ie, if you look at the engine how it sits in the car, noon and 5 o'clock or if you turn your head slightly and get it in line with the cylinder, then the 11 o'clock and 4 o'clock positions).

The other key point you need to make sure of is that the keyway on the crankshaft (bottom of the engine) is at the 7 o'clock position. From there, you can lay the chain on the gears. The trick will be either lining up the marks on the gears with the marks on the chain (which I know you said you could not see) or to simply lay the chain on the gears, ensuring all the slack in the chains is located where the tensioner is.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:59 PM

Thanks Thermo, I see the exhaust cam sprockets had the "Tic-Tacs" on it, but the inlet cam sprocket only had round indented dot there are no "Tic-Tacs" mark on them? But on there is three prongs that look like the bird feet, can we use any of those prong for reference? And where are they position?

Old 06-10-2017, 05:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Thang, looking at some of the sources that I have, I have also found that you may see some "scribe marks" (ie, a single line running from the point of a tooth towards the center of the gear, should be one on each camshaft gear). see if you have those.

I do not see any reference to any dots other than on the crankshaft gear. I see no reference to the "bird feet" marks that you talk about at all. so, I hate to tell you to reference those as I cannot say definitively that those are the marks you should be using.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:03 PM

I just bought an engine from the Harry's You-Pull-It in Hazelton, I must say this engine is God want me to buy it; From my home to Hazelton is over 2hrs drive and if I have to remove the engine from the wrecked car it would take me more than a day, no way I can do that. I just went up there to check out the X-Types they have there didn't bring any tools, plane to stop by Allentown to see if Dr. Dom have any engine that I can buy, but he's at work. As I check out three X-Types, one engine is bad two others engine are gone, come to the last one I saw its engine was laid on the ground, but TM and TC were gone, look like some one removed it from the car but only need the TM and TC and left the engine there not very long. I rent the wagon and ask the man near by to load it on the wagon, I pull it out and pay $200 for the engine. Here what's my plane: I will remove the engine valve covers and timing chains cover to see how the crankshaft and camshafts and timing chains are set, I will use the Dremel tool to engrave the marks where are those shafts laid related to each others, then set the timing of the engine on my car exactly the same, hopefully it'll work, then I'll replace the gaskets, possible a new set of pistons rings, clean this engine up and keep it for the spare. Any input?

Last edited by Thang Nguyen; 06-16-2017 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Add more information
Old 06-17-2017, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Buying an engine seems a little extreme for achieving timing. If you just want a rebuilt spare them not such a bad idea. I would recommend you go to JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource and download the tech manual sections for the X-Type. You really should have it for engine repairs.
Attached is an excerpt for the engine timing from the tech manual.

Attached Thumbnails Camsprocket timing mark-camshaft-timing.jpg  
Old 06-17-2017, 03:34 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by avern1
Buying an engine seems a little extreme for achieving timing. If you just want a rebuilt spare them not such a bad idea. I would recommend you go to JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource and download the tech manual sections for the X-Type. You really should have it for engine repairs.
Attached is an excerpt for the engine timing from the tech manual.
That does not look like a double overhead cam V6 engine, perhaps a diesel?

Pete.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Thanks Jagger, I guess i need to rename some files. You are correct that is the diesel. Below are the correct ones

Attached Thumbnails Camsprocket timing mark-left-side.jpg   Camsprocket timing mark-right-side.jpg  
Old 06-18-2017, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the respond Avern1, actually I first buy the engine because it was removed from the car and it was cheap, and I want to replace it with the one in my car, but when I got the engine home the idea of learn to set the timing from the used engine came up, if it work I rebuild the spare engine just in case.