X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone help me?! Tranny problems..

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 12:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Can anyone help me?! Tranny problems..

Well where to start, ive dropped alota money on my car since i bought it a couple years ago, i got a 2004 jaguar x type, 145,000km,anyways i take it to Soveirgn auto in Edmonton,Alberta, great guy , treats me great,So my cars been parked since end of november, i let it warm up for 25min in the morning in -20,drove about 4min, took a right onto a main street here in edmonton , notcied a car sped up n came into my lane,so i sped up to 25km, well it didnt go into 2nd gear it just went into nothing and when i came to a stop and tried to put it in drive it just made like a clicking noise, no grinding noises,so unfortunly i caused a pile up behind me , as i was making sure people were ok , and waiting for cops, i then called a friend to come pull me of main street, well so 30min has gone by, i tried a few times during that time to put it in drive but no luck, anywas as my friend pulled up infront of me, i tried once more time and it moved, no noises , and i made it about a block until he had to slow down , so i had my car worked on in the fall, and he ran diagnostics and there was nothing wrong with tranny at all, and ive never had problems or heard anything bad i shouldnt have, anyways i have a few friends who are mechanics, they told me if im lucky its just your shifter sensor or something else, they said also ...ya because ive hit many potholes in pass years i got about same tread life left on all 4 tires but when i hit a pothole and it took out both right side tires i only could get 2 that they had where i was at, anyways so have 2 same on front and 2 same on back, can someone give me there opinions, im praying to god its not my tranny, i just had it checked and never had problems with it!!!??!?!?!

Old 01-23-2014, 06:22 AM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

dublj306, I've moved your post from the general tech section to the X-Type section where you should get more visibilty and a better response to your questions.

regards,

Old 01-23-2014, 11:18 AM

i had it in tech questions for a reason, thanks..

Old 01-23-2014, 04:37 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

i had it in tech questions for a reason, thanks..
Are we allowed to know the reason?

.... can someone give me there opinions
My opinion is that this is the best part of the site to ask questions about X Types and get their experience.

You are not encouraging folks to offer you their help.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:13 AM

Check your fuses especially the ones for the transmission. I had similar issue and luckily it was just a fuse. Good luck.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hi JJ, and greetings from down under;

"-20" ... am I reading that as some sort of temperature? So many of your apparent symptoms point to a failing battery ... relays clicking but no crank when all was previously OK coupled with (how old is your battery?) ... coupled with temperatures that drain the guts out of even healthy batteries ...

Read all the adjacent posts about the symptoms of dead batteries ... and near flat "new" batteries ... Yours unfortunately, is just the next in a very long list. The good news is that until you replace the battery, nothing convinces me there is anything wrong with your transmission.

Cheers

Last edited by cat_as_trophy; 01-24-2014 at 03:58 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-25-2014, 04:18 PM

Thank you jaguilla and cat as trophy,hopfully its something both one of you said,steve if you aint got anything good to try post when im asking for help beat it bud!, and hoping the jag genious figures it out this week, finnaly my cars able to get worked on, just turned key one click forward and dash now says gearbox fault, never said that when the event occured,although been sitting for a bit now.. hoping its a sensor , and ya i had a -55 huge cold cranking battery in there, not sure on how new but looked new when i bought car and never had problems starting it ever, but ya hopefully its nothing major, sux while it was sitting i actually came home to some dick with his p.o.s 2wd ford f 150 side swiped back driverside of my car, luckily i know some people, and guess il be throwing some new paint on @ my work this spring summer!

Old 01-26-2014, 12:41 AM
Default tansi manatow

anyone have there dash say gear box fault ? what was problem?

Old 01-26-2014, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member

Flat Battery ... near DEAD battery ...

Do you know how to load test your battery voltage? It's on Sticky here on forum - anything less than 12.5V under load and your previously fine car can throw up spurious fault codes and warnings - the transmission one is a well known false flag - rare that it might happen while driving - but not unknown.

Not saying there is nothing wrong with your transmission, but I think you said you had no trans problems either leading up to event, or even after - only after the car had been sitting idle for weeks. Unless your car suffered damage in the pile-up, this is typical of continuing battery drain leading to a flat battery. As I said earlier, very low temperatures can make a "marginal" battery very quickly turn into a "dead" battery.

Please, start by testing, charging and, if needed, replacing with a new and fully charged battery.

Keep us posted JJ.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:00 PM

car luckily wasnt involved, just the cars behind me and him ,lol. but my car was sitting outside my place for pass months and and guy hit my car but il be painting it, but anyways, so ya back in late nov, in the morning warm my car up, for 25min, it was like -20, drove you know 15blocks, took a right onto a main road, a car turned on that main road turned into my lane so i kept going and when it went from 1st to 2nd it, just didnt go , so i coasted , coasted. hazards on , and some east indian almost hit me, comes right up to me, someone hit him, wrecked his car , had some damage on her jeep, anyways guys yelling at me, trying to get mad, later when cops come the guy doesnt have proper registration and insurance so she was gonna be good for rear ending him. but ya so i waited ,called a buddy to pull me off main road, he came , just before was about to hook up tow hooks , i decided to try n see if it was just cold or something, so i put it in gear it went so put it in park, got out ran to buddy told him eh bro sorry its all good i just tried and its good, well ya he had a 40ft trailer wit his dually so had to make wide turn off the street so i had to slow down and when i did it just did same thing, lossed power or something, but ya so i hada push off main road,fml, then had it run forever and tried , but all i could here was clicking noises , no grinding noises so i parked it , got it towed home because my mechanic was busy for december, and just other day just turned key forward and dash said gear box fault,car has new inttake manifold gaskets, ios, spark plugs, filters, n had tranny diagnosed or checked couple months before it happened,counting down the hours for it go get fixed, but just curious on what you and others can let me know ....soo much to these cars i tell ya

Old 01-27-2014, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member

Yep JJ;

Could be any one of a dozen issues - but it all starts with load testing the battery.

Please tell us the result.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:33 AM

No problems what so ever! ! ! Steve, owner of Soveirgn Auto in Edmontons the man,you drive jaguar,ferrari,lotus,rolls,bently,range rover, hes your guy to see, great service,find out yourself if you need your vehicle maintained,fixed,checked out, whatever!

Old 02-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

So, are you saying your mechanic found nothing wrong with your car and now it is working fine? Or he found something and fixed it? I'm not clear from your post. If he fixed something tell us what it was. If he found nothing wrong I would be wary that the issue would return. Issues like that just don't go away on there own. Also, did you ever have the battery checked?

Old 02-07-2014, 06:35 PM

yeh , battery was completey dead, we re charged it it holds, it a good battery, but he drove it and the snap pin that holds my axles into transfer case or something or for drive shaft, i dont fugn no, but ya, cars still in shop,not understanding everything so far realllly, but i no hel get her back in good working condition. he had it going drove in and out of sport mode, and next morning on way i guess this happened...