X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can water pump leak drain coolant in 3 days?

Old 02-28-2012, 11:40 AM
AML
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Can water pump leak drain coolant in 3 days?

So I have a coolant leak problem and I've been trying to chase it down all morning. The hoses that I can see so far have no leaks and the overflow tank has no leaks that I can tell.

However, looking straight up from under the car, driver's side, I see wetness around what looks to be the water pump. From the angle down there I can't really look up to see if the leak is coming from anywhere up higher and dripping down on it.

But I want to make sure it's plausible that it's the water pump before I go ahead and start on it. Anyway, after filling up the coolant to the max fill line, the overflow bottle will almost be empty after 3-4 days or so. Is it possible that a water pump leak would leak this much?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem, my car would leak the coolent but i could find the leak just like your is doing, the tank would last a few days to empty out just llike yours... so

MY WATER PUMP WAS BAD!!! the water pump is on the back of the motor right under the intake, drivin by the front most cam shaft. It has a small peep hole which leaks when the pump goes out to prevent it from over pressurizing the system.

Cost me $400 parts and labor to get it done. id say get it done because theres alot to remove.. unless your brave enough...

GOOD LUCK BUDDY!

KEEP THE KITTY PURRING!!!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:38 PM
AML
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks! I actually took a look at the water pump yesterday and sure enough, it was leaking. Fixed it myself today. It was actually quite easy which was a shock considering most other water pumps are a pain!

All you have to take out is the air filter box and battery and you have full access to the water pump. It took more time to drain the coolant than it took to take the old one out and put the new one in!

Anyway, it's all good now. There were a few helpful threads when I was searching the forum on the matter. That thing leaks a lot surprisingly. The water pump on my Camry went bad last summer and it took months for it to drop 1/4 tank.