X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't disable auto door lock X Type!

Old 03-08-2014, 03:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can't disable auto door lock X Type!

I want to disable the auto door lock feature on my UK model 2002 3ltr X Type. We find this feature very annoying when you pick someone up as you have to lean across or behind to unlock the passengers doors. Also there is the worry that it will not be possible to open the doors from the outside in the event of an accident. Not a good feeling when children are in the back.
I have found a proccedure in this forum but it does not work or I am reading it wrong or I have a fault with my locks but all other locking features work.

Turn on ignition. Lock the door, using the door handle lock, and unlock 3 times.
Turn off the ignition. Lock and unlock the door 3 times.
Turn on the ignition. Lock and unlock the door once.

There is mention of the car beeping or chirping but I am getting nothing.
I have tried several things such as speed of locking, locking all doors first, setting the auto lock first etc.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

I think what you tried is reprogramming key or something . I believe disarming auto lock is a dealer fix only . Pull ing lock catch back on drivers side should open all doors to take on passengers ( I think )

Old 03-08-2014, 05:48 AM

Thanks for the reply fivespeed. The process for programing the key is different. I'm sure I read the correct procedure for the auto lock but am now wondering if this only works for foreign models. The drivers door does not unlock the others but even if it did it still does not get over the issue of opening from the outside in the event of an emergency.
Loving the car but the locks are a pain. I suspect Gloucester is the same as Frome i.e. not exactly over run with car jackers.
My old Renault had the best system, a button which I could press if I wanted the doors locked!

Old 03-08-2014, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

Yea I see what you mean ! Stepdaughter used to live in Trowbridge ...she took us to Car Boot sale in Frome once .....Wow claim to fame ...

Old 03-09-2014, 08:14 PM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Jon, I know what you are going through. I tried the procedure three separate times and it never worked. I had given up, but one day last December while waiting in a parking lot to pick someone up...I tried it again. Just to pass the time more than anything. Out of the blue, after the last sequence of locking/unlocking...the car suddenly chirped the horn once. It hadn't done it before. I started the car and put it in Drive....and it didn't lock the doors. Hooray!
I really don't know what I did differently other than begin much faster and smoother with the unlock/lock routine. Perhaps cause I had so much practice by that time. Anyway...I suggest you give it another try. If that doesn't work, then try it again some time when you really don't care if it's going to happen or not - that might be the approach the car expects. Oh yeah, the online tip said the car would 'chime' when the program was successful. Nope, my car beeped the horn instead.

Good luck, hope it helps.
Tom

Old 03-10-2014, 01:10 AM

Thanks Tom. Sounds like there is still hope. I will persevere and let you know how I get on.