X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Dies after about 20 miles, Starts up in a few hours.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Dies after about 20 miles, Starts up in a few hours.

This is going to be a good one. I am in quit a pickle with my Jag. Let me run through the situation.
2002 Jaguar X-Type V6 3.0 VIN Search shows car was actually made on 2001.

Car has always run fine. I recently traveled from Pittsburgh to Elmira, NY. She ran Pretty nice. About 2 days later I went to fill up and it would not start. It tried to start but it didn't happen. I checked the oil, added a little. Bought one of those fuel cleaners, poured that in. Didn't start. Came back a few hours later and on the second try it started up. I ran it a few miles to get where I was going. Then the car just shuts down, I have electric but the motor turned off. After a few embarrassing moments at the head of the line at a stop light she started up again. Did some research on the fuel filter seen it should be changed at 70k I was at 72k I changed it, it was VERY dirty, like coffee with a drop of milk and some color of rust. I also replaced the air filter under the hood. Figure I had it beatin so my 3yo and my self went on our voyage home. After about 20 miles coming down a hill I lost the motor again. Again it started up after about 20 min. The only thing I have done to this car prior to the fuel filter and air filter was change the spark plugs(fun) I replaced the factory with a ''Pulstar ad1p'' The thread count on these was more than the old one. I keep hearing Jaguar now uses the higher thread count ones now. The only problem I had with changing the spark plugs was that the ''Intake Manifold'' Did not sit back in place flat, it had a slight forward and backward rock. I got it all buttoned up though.
I had the codes read for the problems and these are the ones I got.

Codes:
P0305
P1313 x2
P1316 x2

I'm thinking that my sparkplug job may have been done incorrectly because a couple of the spark plugs were bent down from the arch, I fixed them as made them look as even as the others before installing. Or since the gas filter was letting horrible looking dirty gas get to the engine that maybe the injectors have a clog or damaged. My resources in this town are very limited just about nobody will touch a Jaguar. And my rear driver side tire, the camber is out and it is wearing down the inside of the tire fast. There are two arms that meet in the rear middle from each tire. On the side with the wear, the bushing has gone bad. I keep hearing there is no adjust for this so would replacing the bushing help that issue. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I miss my wife and I can't take my son on a 300m trip without knowing if my car can make it.

Anyone who reads Thank You. Still happy I have a Jag though=)

Old 11-30-2012, 02:59 PM

Codes that came up. Sorry for the error in the message. There were more.

P0301
P1316
B1145 x2
B1165 x2
P1000 ofcourse
B1155

Old 12-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Default Update*

Wiped all the codes, Check Engine light stayed on along with the ABS, that was the only code that showed up after the wipe. Cruise Control unavailable popped up this morning. Another thing is that my coolant runs hot. and I will do a fan check because it doesn't seem to turn on on idle.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I think you've described your problem "The only problem I had with changing the spark plugs was that the ''Intake Manifold'' Did not sit back in place flat, it had a slight forward and backward rock. I got it all buttoned up though." Fix this first!

Old 12-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Default Update*

Had the codes read again this afternoon.
P0171-Fuel Trim System Lean (Bank 1)

B1145 Cannot Find
B1155 ''
B1165 ''

Rough Idle between 500 and 750* can really feel it in the car.
2 Fans in the front. Facing the car.
Left works When A/C is on.
Right Works when Heat is on.
None work on Idle.

Also the car is sucking up gas like a v12 truck.

Also noticed when facing the car and looking at the throttle body.

l lI Il l <- This guy on the Right makes a humming noise when car is turned to position 2 (Electric)

The Manifold did have that rock but like I said is was ever so slight and everything fit back, in the front where you can see where it sits back on the motor everything lined up perfect. The rubbers (yellow) on the gaskets where pristine looking both times I did the plugs. If the manifold wasn't put on correctly could this cause all these problems? This time I did a 360 of what I could see and it looked to fit back nice and there was no wiggle in it either time.

I believe my fan stopped coming on for engine idle the 1st time I changed the plugs.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:05 PM

This is all Fords fault. =)

Old 12-03-2012, 06:49 AM

Thank you Tony_H for your reply. Gonna take her to get the diagnostics done and we'll see what they say and hopefully all this will help someone out.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:06 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

John - Reseat your manifold and check ALL 12 rubber gaskets. The manifold not seating properly can cause this problem. The car warms up and the manifold expands which lets air in. This causes the car to misfire and eventually stall. The manifold then needs to cool down to reseat itself, so it will start. I had this exact problem with a 5.0 mustang. The silcone on the front of the manifold split open on me and caused this problem.