X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Stalled on the highway, after a few minutes it started up????

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Stalled on the highway, after a few minutes it started up????

I was driving home in my 02 X-type 2.5 liter with auto trans and the car just died on me, as if it stalled. I pulled over on the shoulder and tried to restart the engine. It just kept cranking but the engine would not turn over. I waited a few minutes and it started right up? This has never happened to me before. Since I don't have awarranty....anywhere I should start looking? Everything looks normal and its running fine but I would hate to be stuck on the highway if it happens again. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 11-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Car Stalled on the highway, after a few minutes it started up????

Any details?? Did the dash light up?? Any codes?? Did it just die or did it sputter??

Old 11-11-2007, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shoot I can't remember last time... freak...pretty sure though the guy that had the problem it acted really really funny and would mess with him and go into limp home mode all the time than be fine and than run really funny...remember who I'm talking about anderson? It was right around this time last year I'm pretty sure...wish I could help you out some more...I'll do a quick search and see what I can find...

Old 11-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member

See if this helps...pretty sure this was one of them but I think it was someone else that had a similar problem to yours but more informatino as to what your car did would be helpful no lights, high temp, raining, car wash???
LINK TO OTHER SIMILAR PROBLEMS

Old 11-12-2007, 08:33 AM

My vehicle never stalled but this is what fixed my similar issue!!

The dealer changed out a Coolant Temp Sensor for $80 bucks today, said thats what was causin my high engine temp warning light to come on after driving highway speeds. Never went into limp mode, but the dealer said it would have happened eventually...Good I caught it early.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:01 AM

No codes, no warning, the engine just cut off. then the check engine light and some other red lights near the bottom. I was too busy trying to get to the shoulder. It definitely wasn't limp mode because I that happened to me before and I know what limp mode is. Strange right, maybe something bad in the fuel? Everything else was normal including the temperature and I had a car wash but that was several days ago. I guess this isn't common.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

Hey hanky pop your hood and take off the cover that covers the engine. There are 3 screws. Look to the right and check on this tube. This gave me problems and you may need to replace it. Doesn't exactly sound like your problem but you may need to fix it anyways....

Old 11-12-2007, 10:05 AM

Hey Aquill,
thank you for the suggestion. I will take a look. When you say tube to the right. do you mean the largest tube on the right that has ridges on it almost like a slinky? The tube looks like some kind of airhose tube?

I just want to make sure before I start tinkering in there!

thanks again for the prompt response.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

No the smaller ones to the left...there's one that is flawless and than the one to the left is the one that I replaced because it had a few cracks that ran from almost end to end...the broken one has an orange sticker on it.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:24 AM

ok, thanks for clearing that up. I will definitely take a look. I never thought to open up that engine cover.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

No guarantees but i guess that hose has been redesigned like 4-5 times or something like that and they all have the same result...failure!!! Its really cheap to fix though...go to autozone and all you have to do is remove the cover (phillips screwdriver) pull the hose off and take it inside to get a goodyear radiator hose(pretty sure thats what I used) you will probably break the connector that is in it and they will have one to pop in there and than you just put it on...really easy and all you should need is a phillips screwdriver and 10 minutes at autozone with no more than $10 (I only paid $5 (broke the connector/downsize plug) and they gave me the hose for free because it wasn't even a foot long...

Old 11-12-2007, 01:19 PM

The actual Jaguar factory part is only $18 at the dealer if you want the exact match. I don't think that is your problem though. If that were cracked/leaking, you would have some seriously noticable issues that would point directly towards a vacuum leak. (multiple cylinder misfires, bucking under accelleration, etc.) If nothing else has happened and there are no signs of a problem other than it dying on the freeway that one time, have the fuel pump checked for pressure. It may be on its way out. If that checks out ok, then I would move to cleaning the throttle body. I don't think you have a problem with the ignition, as you would have a CEL on for misfire if that were your problem. I would put money on it being either the fuel pump or the throttle body. If the fuel pump checks ok and the throttle body cleaning doesn't work, let us know and we can think harder on it. There are no other symptoms at all, right? Are you sure that the car didn't overheat? That would explain things perfectly...

Old 11-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

Actually my car didn't do anything...sometimes when started it had a funky idle...suddenly though the check engine light came on no cruise came on and than it went off...the car went a week without a problem until I finally checked under the cover to see it...I told him he should check that out first as it may help with the problem...others have had different experiences about the tube that I speak of...first things first i'd get an obd2 on it to see what the computer says...as hanky stated the engine light came on...mine acted funny like it was bad gas which is what I thought it was...he also stated that the temp was normal...btw my car didn't do anything under acceleration...the only indication I got was that the lights came on...other than the rough idle sometimes but it only had that a while before i replaced the hose and didn't do it right before I replaced it...either way I'd imagine this happens in alot if not all x-types...

Old 11-12-2007, 07:44 PM

[align=center][/align]
i've read as many posts on this topic herebut no real conclusive answer. so here goes...just before i get on freeway, engine light comes on, then runs rough(limp mode?) then cruise unavailable comes on, click cruise on and set it, runs fine but check engine light stays on. now just before the light came on i was moving the gear shifter through the gears to get a feel for them(automatic) then the check engine light comes on. haven't had time to get to shop so i was wondering if anyone found the answer to this problem?2002 xtype sport 58000 miles. thanks, Bill [align=right][/align]

Post #: 1

RE: cruise not available,etc - 8/15/2007 9:06:02 AM

showPicture("8/15/2007 9:06:02 AM",0,0,0,21448,19)

billinohio

titleAndStar(48,0,0,false,",")

[align=center][/align]
pulled codes.lean bank#1&#2 not the problem. the problem was a torn pcv hose, $4.49 and 5 minutes later, cleared codes, have a nice day thanks, Bill. By the way, wasn't there a recall for this hose? it neede clamps and jag didn't put them on from factory. isn't that right? [align=right]
(in reply to billinohio) [/align]

Post #: 2

RE: cruise not available,etc - 11/12/2007 5:42:48 PM

showPicture("11/12/2007 5:42:48 PM",0,0,0,21448,19)

billinohio

titleAndStar(48,0,0,false,",")

[align=center][/align]

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: billinohio

pulled codes.lean bank#1&#2 not the problem. the problem was a torn pcv hose, $4.49 and 5 minutes later, cleared codes, have a nice day thanks, Bill. By the way, wasn't there a recall for this hose? it neede clamps and jag didn't put them on from factory. isn't that right?
[/blockquote][align=right]
(in reply to billinohio) [/align]

Post #: 3

Jaguar >> Jaguar Models >> X-Type
[/align]

Page: [1]
[align=left]

[/align]

Fast Reply

more smileys..

[IMG]http://www.jagua

Old 11-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member

Hey bill what happened to that post?

Old 11-13-2007, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

[&:][:-]
Something is messed up ?

Old 11-13-2007, 09:48 AM

I think that the check engine light that he was talking about wasn't really a check engine light. He said that when it died, all the lights (check engine, battery, etc) went on. That happens when the key is turned to the on position and the car isn't started. From is 1st post, he didn't have a CEL.

If that tube were the problem, he would most likely be throwing a code or two. That is why I was thinking the fuel pump or throttle body. It couldn't hurt to check out that tube though - it only takes a few seconds to look at it once the engine cover is off.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Only takes a few seconds to fix too...I figured it was just his cel...my cars tranny and cel came on as well as letting me know the cruise couldn't work...yeah i know what your talking about as far as the lights being on when the key is on and car isn't running...hopefully he doesn't keep us anticipating whats going on for too much longer!

Old 11-13-2007, 01:35 PM

I checked that hose and that hose was fine. Looked like it was already replaced once.

My car has been running fine ever since. Strange but I guess I won't worry about it until it happens again.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Did an engine light come on or stay on? I'd try getting it connected to a computer see if it says anything at all...

Quick Reply: Car Stalled on the highway, after a few minutes it started up????