X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wont start!

Hey guys, i went out today and i was given the shock of finding out that my car wont start anymore!

When i tried to start it, it makes a tick tick tick noise but the engine wont start...it sounds like the starter isint working...but i have very limited knowledge on this stuff. The car was fine last night and i did not notice any weird things about it when i was driving it.

Anybody got any ideas? I already tried jumping the car battery, but it seems like the battery is not the problem since it still wont start. By the way, my car is a 2004 X-type 3.0 with just 30k miles. The car has always been dealer serviced...so i dont understand how the hell can such a low miles, maintained car go wrong. [:@]

Old 09-29-2008, 06:44 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: car wont start!

I don't know where to start..you tried a jump with a runing car, so that would have been my first check, the Battery..So there is a lot to do with the starting system...Best thing is, have it flatbedded to your dealer..hope you have a warranty still.

This may seem silly, but is the gear selector set in PARK?

Old 09-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

well, just general knowledge here, not Jag specific. (but worth checking, before you spend a bunch of money)
a 'click-click' would typically meant that the solenoid is kicking, but not turning the starter. So that almost always narrows it down to one thing: not enough juice from the battery.
A few things can cause this, but you did good by starting with a jump from a running car. If the battery has gone bad altogether (which can sometimes seem to happen nearly overnight, particularly as the weather turns cold) then you may never get enough charge through it to turn the starter. And/or if something was left on overnight, draining the battery completely, it could take a very long time to charge the battery enough to kick. (15 minutes or so should get you somewhere though)

But don't give-up there: remove the battery cover and take a look at the connections: do you have corrosion on the Positive lead? it'll look like green / white 'foamy-crystals'. If so, that will also create resistance. An easy (and messy) fix is to mix-up some baking-soda solution and pour it on the battery terminal. Watch it foam, and then rinse it all off with warm water. Then try jumping the battery again. (it's likely that if corrosion 'is' the culprit, then the battery has also been undercharging for the same reason)

Do you have a multi-meter? We can walk you through a couple of very simple checks with it, if you're of the DIY mentality.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:44 PM

hey guys...well i went out to check out the car again when it got dark...and the first thing i noticed was that it was very dim in the car...the lights in the headliner were not as bright as usual. so it brought me back to the battery. i took the battery out and went to autozone to get it tested...and there were dead cells in the battery.

Simple fix...but apparently autozone and strauss both dont carry my battery. i could only get it at the dealer. [:'(]

guess im gonna pay my dealer a visit tomorrow...[&:]

thanks for the help guys...mcjaguar made me think to re-check the battery.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:09 PM
ud

Check out PepBoys..they have a Bosch that is the exact same case and design, only better than the original as far as 810 amp/650 CCA and 96 month warranty.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

autozone should have it... i would call another one and ask.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:43 PM

and if you can find one that physically (dimensionally) fits in the space available, buy an Optima battery. You will forever be very glad you did. really, I mean that. Especially if it gets cold where you live.... or if you like to play the stereo loud.... for a long time... with the motor off.... and the headlights on..... [&o]

Old 09-29-2008, 10:45 PM
ud

I looked into those Optimas..None that I could find would fit physically..too bad too..Cuz, like you said, they are the best for power reserves.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:10 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

consumer reports rated Everstart Max a best buy for performance and cost.......at your favorite...Walmart
Xtypes allways have battery problems especially cracked cases at the neg post. next issue is bad cables neg and positive when your battery light comes on

Old 09-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Know Your Basic Car Care Today's vehicles are much more complex and complicated than the cars of the 1960s, '70s, '80s, incorporating more computer electronics, silicon chips, and sophisticated engines. However, the same basic car care still applies to all kinds of vehicles, and can extend the life and durability of your car or truck.The best part is, basic car care does not require any sophisticated understanding of vehicles or their systems. A few simple steps, some regular checks, and addressing issues promptly can greatly extend the life of your vehicle, making it safer and more dependable for you and your family. Regular checks It may seem intimidating, but basic care car is often simply a matter of popping open the hood and taking a look at the engine of your vehicle.Some basic car care starts with examining the exterior. Check your tires at least every other week to make sure they are inflated properly. This should be an actual check with a tire pressure gauge, but you may also advantage from a visual check to make sure the tires appear equally and properly inflated.Other visual checks that require almost no vehicle mechanics knowledge include the following:[*]body and bumper damage, which should be monitored for insurance purposes[/ul][*]leaking fluids underneath the vehicle, including oil, power and brake fluid, transmission or other fluid (air-conditioning may cause water to drip under a vehicle)[/ul][*]smoke in vehicle exhaust, aside from normal diesel emissions or startup fumes[/ul][*]engine or fluid warning lights, which should be promptly addressed before any further driving[/ul] [/align] Under the Hood Of course, much of the day-to-day driving maintenance for your vehicle must occur with the hood opened and up, but that doesn't mean you have to be a mechanic. The most important things to monitor and check regularly include the following:[*]engine oil level and cleanliness[/ul][*]antifreeze/coolant level (never attempt to remove radiator cap while engine is hot or warm)[/ul][*]brake and power steering fluid levels[/ul][*]transmission fluid[/ul][*]belts [/ul] When checking fluid levels, the engine usually has containers and canisters with fill-level lines. Make sure the fluids are above the minimum line, and below the maximum line. You should also keep an eye out for any leaks or worn radiator and other tubes, which should be replaced before pushed to the point of bursting.Other things to be watchful for in and around the engine include loose electrical or tube connections, worn or exposed wires, and loose or warped belts, which should be promptly replaced. Belt replacement is somewhat difficult for some motorists, but is a relatively simple and inexpensive fix at a service station, so it may be worth the trip to your mechanic to get the right belt installed correctly.You should also keep an eye on your vehicle's battery, and be aware of its age. Batteries should be replaced every five years or so, and if your battery is not getting the proper charge to easily start your car, you should have it checked. You can usually have your battery's charge and water level checked for free at a battery replacement station. Most vehicle batteries come with comprehensive warranties, as well. Changing the Oil One of the most important things you can do to maintain your vehicle is to change the oil and oil filter regularly. Some mechanics recommend changing the oil every 2,000-3,000 miles, but you can safely drive further. However, you should be sure to change the oil of your vehicle, or have it changed, at least every 5,000, including a new filter.Your oil should be relatively clean, but still have a dark color to it once it runs through your engine. You should regularly check your oil level, and maintain it between the minimum and maximum fill lines. This is why it is a good idea to have some motor oil with the vehicle so you will be able to add some if needed.There are a variety of types of motor oil to choose from. Lighter weight oil, such as 5W-40, is typically better for warm to hot weather, while heavier oil, such as 10W-40, is more suited to colder temperatures and climates. If your vehicle smokes or uses a lot of oil, a heavier weight and synthetic blend motor oil is probably best. Other Replacements and Maintenance Other important components and parts of your vehicle and engine that need regular maintenance and infrequent replacement include the following:[*]air filter[/ul][*]headlight, turn signals, and brake lamps[/ul][*]spark plugs and cables[/ul][*]engine timing belt[/ul][*]windshield wipers[/ul] Most engine tuneups are either actual motor work, or electrical tuneups consisting of spark plug, cable, and distributor cap replacement.The biggest thing to remember with ongoing vehicle maintenance is to address issues promptly, including engine knocking or other noises, and do your best to try to understand what may be going on before you visit the mechanic.[/align]

Old 09-30-2008, 08:45 AM

wow!
now, that right there is a great summary of the things I've been trying to teach my boy. He's 12. Not terribly inclined to manual labor , which is okay as I'd hate to see him have to eeek out the meager living I have been my whole life.... (ok, maybe not always 'meager'... but still hard work [&o]) but he has spent many an hour laying under the car with me, and the washing machine, and swinging a hammer on a project in the back yard or the basement.

I think there are things people should just know.
But then again, I'm old. (almost 40! ) and I don't expect the younger folks to agree with what 'I' think they should know any more than I agreed with my own father's assessment of same....

But all-in-all, great advice from RacerX.

by the way, funny story: while 'teaching' my boy saturday about mounting wheels / tires, I showed him how to snug the lugs with the wheel in the air, and then save the final torqueing sequence for after the vehicle has been lowered.... except I forgot to..... until I felt the wuh-wuh-wuh from the front wheels on my monday morning commute... and had to torque 'em on the shoulder of the interstate..... []
duh....

Old 09-30-2008, 09:04 PM
ud

Nice one Racer..Maybe Jim can incorporate that into the FAQ

Old 09-30-2008, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

maybe....maybe not. Damn, and i didn't even miss spell a word....I need to drink more, i was too serious[:'(]

Old 09-30-2008, 11:20 PM

ORIGINAL: racerx82

... and i didn't even miss spell a word....I need to drink more, i was too serious[:'(]
ahh, now that there's funny, I don't care who y'are....

Old 09-30-2008, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

did you write that all racer or did you copy it from somewhere?

Old 09-30-2008, 11:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[sm=bustedsign.gif]

Old 10-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

i'll never tell!

Old 10-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

BTW, i do have allot of time on my hands!

Old 10-02-2008, 06:04 PM

I went to pep boys and got a bosch battery for i think it was 140...cheaper then the 180 the dealer wanted. So problem solved! Thanks.

ORIGINAL: bojangles

I gotta say it is simply amazing that cars are so reliable these days that people cant figure out a dead battery. You must be young, because it was not that long ago when cars needed jump starting much more often.
Actually, if you saw my first post, I already tried jumping the car battery. The only reason i thought it was something other then the battery was that it still wouldnt start with the jumper cables running from another car. Most older cars, even with a dead battery is able to start with jumper cables...the battery just wont retain a charge. So yeah...that kinda threw me off