X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cel!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 12:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Cel!

So while driving last night, I was taking off from a stop light and all of a sudden while in first gear the car stutters a little and the CEL came on. The car only stuttered once and then drove normal. Going to go get the code(s) read today, but just wanted to see if anyone may know what the issue may be based on my breif description. The car is a 2004 2.5 manual, and 90K miles on the clock.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:57 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a million and one posts like yours. If the CEL light came on and you probably saw cruise not available. If not, either way i would guess its a vacuum leak. The most tempermental one is the IMT o-rings in the intake. Passenger side and they are circular black discs. Pull them out and you will see a shotty yellowish o-ring. Go to the dealer and pick up two of them. The UPDATED ones are green. Costs like 8 bucks.

Also check all the othe vacuum hoses.

Good luck.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:38 PM

Thanks for the info I <3 X-Type. You were right as it looks like a leak in the IMT.

Would you happen to know how I would go about removing the IMT that is on the lower portion of the intake? the top one comes off easy and i replaced the o-ring, but the lower one will not fully come out as some other parts in the engine bay are in the way. Do you know if i would have to remove the manifold, or is there an easy way to get the part out?

Old 11-11-2010, 04:32 AM

Well....ive heard two ways. The way i did it was taking the upper manifold off, which at that time i replaced the plugs. The second was brought to my attention afterwards and that was to slip the o-ring over the outside on to it. That im not totally sure about due to the fact of stretching the o-ring. It never crossed my mind at the time and i needed a plug change anyway. You could try it but if you find yourself using your o-ring like a rubberband i would not. LOL.

Most people took off the intake. Seein you are at 90K miles... i would do your plugs while your at it. In order to do that just unbolt what you "HAVE TO". Some write up claims to take off coolant lines and whatnot. DONT. Just prop up the intake on the passenger side and put a rag over the intake holes as to not drop something down there, and pull it out. Its really not that hard at all.

If i remember right, i believe its unscrewing the air box, unplugging a few sensors, and unbolting the intake. There are a few hidden bolts to the intake. There are two on the firewall side that can be a PITA if you have sausage fingers like me, and with those you only have to loose'n enough to slide off the wire harness, then one other on the driver side. Then just lift from the passenger side only undoing stuff to get height. I proped mine up with a screw driver. Good luck

PS. Keep in mind after changing the o-rings the light may stay on a few more times of cycling the ingnition. Self clear after the problem no longer persists

Last edited by I <3 X-Type; 11-11-2010 at 04:55 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the help. I will just use the same method as you. seems like streching the o-ring might decrease its functionality as you mention. I do need to change my plugs so will do that at the same time. Great write up using the simple way to perform the change. Much appreciated.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 04XTYPE
Thanks for the help. I will just use the same method as you. seems like streching the o-ring might decrease its functionality as you mention. I do need to change my plugs so will do that at the same time. Great write up using the simple way to perform the change. Much appreciated.
The best and easiest way is to disconnect the electrical connection to the lower IMT so you can slip the O-ring over it from the front. You don't have to stretch that far only over one mounting ear at a time, not enough to damage it. You get the old one off by cutting it.
There's no reason to remove the upper intake just to replace the IMT seal. But if your ready to do the plug then by all means do them all at the same time.

Last edited by Green Machine; 11-11-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:59 PM

Oh and one more thing, lol, the intake bolts have 2 that are different sizes. Im sure you could figure it out but just a heads up!! The intake also has rubber o-rings that rarely go bad. Just give them a look and as long as they have some raise to it to make a good seal they are ok. If they are real flat i would change them.

Good luck.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Green Machine
The best and easiest way is to disconnect the electrical connection to the lower IMT so you can slip the O-ring over it from the front. You don't have to stretch that far only over one mounting ear at a time, not enough to damage it. You get the old one off by cutting it.
There's no reason to remove the upper intake just to replace the IMT seal.

From what ive experienced it does not come out far enough to do that. But then again I really didnt try very hard. Unless the actual valve flap comes off. Hell...try it.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:01 PM

Ok Guys, heres an update. I didnt get a chance to get the spark plugs, so I decided to try the method Green Machine recommended. That worked very well, and did not stretch the o-ring much at all. Took maybe 3 mins to change. One thing i did notice though, on the old o-ring, it appeared to have some oil on it... Am I looking at a serious problem here, or is there suppose to be oil in there? I really didnt think there is suppose to be oil in there, but want to make sure before I start taking apart the manifold to see where the oil is coming from.

Thanks again for all your help.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:01 AM

Cool ill have to remember that way. lol. I was told different. But as far as oil in the intake, it happens. It has to do with vacuum. If its not a crap load....No worries