X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL, orange maintenance light, and wont rev past 3000 rpms!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 06:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL, orange maintenance light, and wont rev past 3000 rpms!!!

I bought the car like this; previous owner says its the o2 sensor. Happens randomly. I had advanced auto reset the check engine light, car ran great for I dunno, 2 or 3 days. Then the CEL came back on, and the orange maintenance light on the right hand side. Says "cruise control not working" or something to that affect, even though I can still set it on. But the car is very slow, wont rev past 3k rpms, and if you floor it it will hit some sort of 3000rpm rev limiter and just stop driving forward until you let off then ease back into it.

I suppose it def. sounds like it could be an o2 sensor, does this sound typical? The orange light goes on and off at random. So it doesn't do this non-stop.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Probably NOT an O2 sensor. Take it back to Autozone and get the code number and
post them back here. A common issue that causes the problem you are having is vacuum leaks in the IMT valves, the brake booster line, or the hose under the plastic engine cover.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:40 PM

Everytime I go to advanced, they come up with different excuses as to the code. The most recent time I went they said "motor is running lean, probably bad gas". Which could almost make sense since the previous owner drove like 1k miles in like 4 mos lol. But There is a thick hose that hooks up to the valve covers and comes out of the plastic cover to the intake or something, and the big round boot that hooks up to the intake is like almost torn in half. It still plugs up but it does have a big tear where it hooks up to the manifold.
You think that could be it?

I'll see if autozone can pull a code number today.

Why would this put a 3k rev limiter on though and not allow me to floor the car ?

Old 12-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Banned

I'm gonna guess..But historically, the problem ends up being in most cases a vacuum leak...The 3000 rpm or reduced power is called "Limp Mode"...allows you to get off the road safely with some power, without hurting the engine, should something be drastically wrong...If is a vacuum leak, there are a few common areas that harbor this problem, and are simple to fix.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:54 PM

Ok that proves my suspicion then.. I figured it was limp mode, but why the hell would it be limp mode'ing over a damn vacuum leak???

How much would that rubber hose I'm talking about (possibly the pcv line) cost me?

Old 12-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 85_305
Ok that proves my suspicion then.. I figured it was limp mode, but why the hell would it be limp mode'ing over a damn vacuum leak???

How much would that rubber hose I'm talking about (possibly the pcv line) cost me?
Pipes that are leaking/split allow unmetered air into the system which cause problems for the engine ECU.Air normally flows past the MAF sensor which determines the temp and amount of air and so fuel is injected accordingly but leaks/splits dont pass the MAF
This problem is mentioned quite a bit on the forum so see here for more info as its usually a very easy and cheap fix, if its a new breather pipe a new sturdier pipe is only £5 from a dealer
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=28973

Old 12-02-2009, 01:34 PM

oh good stuff man thanks a lot. So the new piece the dealer sells is tougher than the stock one? I'm going to call the dealer up quick.. advanced cant get it.

Will this cause poor mileage? I've only gone like 80 city miles, and its used over a quarter tank of gas already.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:51 PM

I have been having the same problem with my 03 x-type. I took it to advanced and they gave me codes and one of the was knock sensor low input bank 2. Ive had it quoted by some local shops and its running upwards of 400$. Good Luck!

Old 12-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 85_305
oh good stuff man thanks a lot. So the new piece the dealer sells is tougher than the stock one? I'm going to call the dealer up quick.. advanced cant get it.

Will this cause poor mileage? I've only gone like 80 city miles, and its used over a quarter tank of gas already.
Yes it will give poor MPG as I think it defaults to overfuelling for saftey not knowing how much air is getting in
If the problem is the pipe you can tape up the pipe as a temp measure until you get your new MUCH sturdier pipe.
Did this on mine and the MIL went out after 2 cold-hot cycles and the limp home stopped.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:32 PM

Ya I've gone about 92 miles and I'm between half and 3/4 tank. I'm not very pleased right now. It's gonna be 21$ shipped from jag dealer to my house, over nighted. I'm about to find some tape or something and see what I can do about it.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the same type of thing going on, getting misfire codes. All lines look good, had a wet spark plug. Waiting for ignition coil, should solve mine.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

85_305, did you ask them to send that big boot as well? I think you are talking about that large rubber boot between the air cleaner & the MAF. The PCV hose should fix you right up as far as the lean condition goes but that ripped boot is going to let unfiltered air in there as well. If you have any hissing noise you may also want to do the IMT valve o-rings. All these vac leaks show up most often once it gets cold outside.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:28 AM

Did I ask them to send me the big boot? No I dont think so? Isn't that all connected? The Jag dealer said the PCV line is a very common piece so he had one in stock for my car. I would assume the pcv line comes w/ the big boot right? Since they are connected and all.
I hope this fixes my issue.. I'm at like 117 miles and half tank already ughhh

Old 12-03-2009, 07:22 AM

Can someone show me a pic of the pcv line, just so I'm certain? It comes from under the plastic cover from a valve cover or something (slips over a nipple), then out the top of the motor towards the firewall and onto the intake on some other nipple.. 6-8" long hosing maybe?

Old 12-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

You've got it! That's the one!

Sorry Bud I thought you also had a rip in the accordion style "boot" that comes of the air cleaner housing.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 393 Likes on 289 Posts

its a very easy fix read my thread (my x-type project and installs) it has detail pics to your problem...theres a lot of pages you might have to go through its a long thread...

Old 12-04-2009, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by mohrd
You've got it! That's the one!

Sorry Bud I thought you also had a rip in the accordion style "boot" that comes of the air cleaner housing.
Nice! Thank you. A new pcv hose is only 21$ shipped to my house so thats very very good. I hope this is the cause of my limp mode issues and poor poor mileage though

Originally Posted by dennis black
its a very easy fix read my thread (my x-type project and installs) it has detail pics to your problem...theres a lot of pages you might have to go through its a long thread...
I'm just really hoping THIS is the problem and its not something bigger

Old 12-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 393 Likes on 289 Posts

also purchase the code checker for $40, and it will erase the bad code after you have repaired it ,no more limp mode...if you run into anymore problems were here to help

Old 12-05-2009, 02:44 PM

I appreciate the help! I think I'll have advanced erase it, they did it last time. I hope that piece fixes my issue though

Old 12-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Default code p0171?? help!!

So my car is throwing this code up. The cel comes on and the orange light illuminates and says cruise unavailable. This limits the car 3k rpms and seems to idle funny when cold etc. The only thing I know to be wrong with it is the pcv is leaking like CRAZY. Could this be it?

Quick Reply: CEL, orange maintenance light, and wont rev past 3000 rpms!!!