X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine after SNOW?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine after SNOW?!?!?!?! UPDATED!!!!!!

Hey guys,
I took the X to home depot because we ran out of rock salt. As i was driving there the ABS light came on after about 10 minutes on the way there. Once i got the home depot, i left the car and then when i came back the abs had gone away ,but the Check engine light came on!!!

Is this something to be worried about? The car did not go into limp mode or anything. The tires did spin in a few placed without the car moving. So what do you guys think?

UPDATE: Well this morning i drove to the local gas station and filled the x type up. Before filling the gas the tank was almost empty. After filling up the check engine light went away and the range went back to 250 miles. I made sure before i filled the gas that the gas cap was actually tight and that I didnt leave it loose, and it was indeed tight. So i am guessing low gas in freezing temperatures is not a good mix.
Hopefully the car stays this way!
Also ABS is working fine, slammed the brakes and it kicked in.

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by gupdah; 12-21-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:52 PM

Also the Miles left in the cluster that says how many miles the car can travel is at 0. And there is no low gas light on, the car is about a quarter full of gas. So right now I am letting it sit and ill check on it later tonight. Any input?

Old 12-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

gupdah, sounds like you are having issues with your ABS sensors. Is the speedo still working? IT takes its signal from the ABS sensors on the wheels. As for testing the ABS sensors, it is easy enough (as long as the weather cooperates). You will need to pull of each wheel and remove the ABS sensor (held in place by a single screw). Then you will need to connect up a multimeter (set to 5 VDC or so) across the 2 pins of the sensor and then pass a large metal object (large screw driver works nicely) near the end of the sensor. IF the sensor is good, you should see the multimeter jump as the screwdriver passes by the end of the sensor. Repeat for each wheel. No response, bad sensor.

Also, get the codes read. That may help narrow down where the problem is to. I'm only going after the ABS sensors at the moment based on what you initially reported and the current weather conditions.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the reply thermo. The speedo and everything else is working normal. The abs light went away. However the check engine came on after I let the car sit. In this weather I do not plan on taking apart the car in any way. Ill get the codes read tommorow if the problem presists. I waS thinking the check engine came on because of a frozen sensor or something.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:49 AM

Check the update!

Old 12-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

You might have some of the early warning signs of losing a tooth or two on the abs tone ring. Your description has a few of the symptoms, abs light, check engine, etc....but it doesn't quite fit if you are not getting pulsing abs every so often.

You could also just have some crap jammed in there since the weather has been foul. Try to wash everything good once the weather warms up.

A good rule of thumb is no less than 1/4 tank of gas when temps are below freezing, btw.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Yep....
In the UK the ABS speed sensors (tooth rings) first started failing in Scotland (general heavier snow than England) and then started failing in Northern England and this then swept the rest of the UK
Jaguar put it down to salt in snowier conditions when asked at an X Type seminar the other year