X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cigar ligher

Old 07-04-2019, 02:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default cigar lighter and other issues

Dear Everybody!
I was offered an X-Type to buy from Italy (model year: 2005). Here are some images of the interior. What could have happened with the cigar ligher? Is that a big deal?

Also, you can see that the seat heating is not fitted. I saw a thread earlier and I learned that the wires are fitted, and I can purchase the cover, the buttons and the controller for cheap (each was around L10-20 on Ebay) ), after which I may install new seats or set up an aftermarket seat heating panel. Is that correct?

Is the SportMode switch also manuipulated or is it just covered by smg?

Tha car is advertised to have run 99k km - what do you think, based on the seats and the steering wheel?

Last edited by rlazol; 07-04-2019 at 02:36 PM. Reason: +1 question
Old 07-04-2019, 03:24 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hallo rlazol

I live in The Netherlands.
Every time a car goes to the garage the odometer value (kilometer counter) is put into a system. This is what every garage must do.
So you can check from every car the driven KM.

I know Italy does not have this system. So if you sell a car it is easy to lower the amount of km’s…. Here it is forbidden.
For example, some Volvos has two counters, one in the dash, one in the computer system. A Vovo garage can check this for you.

All I want to say, be careful with Italian cars…
Better look in Germany or Switzerland.

My X has 79,000km done. I do not have a single scratch above the astray. See pic # 4

The following users liked this post:
rlazol (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Not unusual for cars not equipped ($ + option = smoker's pkg) to have the power outlet. Sport mode "s" button is down by the coin slot or dsc button by the gear shifter. Pics don't show that area.

I think this car is a lower and basic model, even the steering wheel is all leather compared to mine (wood and leather).

rlazol (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 03:46 PM

Thank you jaapvanthoff and Dell Gailey, I really appretiate your comments.

Yes, unfortunately, I think the same about the mileage. Just look at the buttons of the steering wheel (pic 1-2).

I am very careful with Italy, and I am also looking at German and other ads (mobile.de and autoscout24), but I could not find my car yet. The problem is the distance, which is well above 1000 km, and I would not travel that much unless I am sure. Now, if they post a good ad, by the time I got there, they sell it. So I am left with the shitty ads.

My concern is the lack of the cover in case of the power outlet. Should not that be there anyway? I saw so many pictures and cars but never this solution.

As for the SPORT button: my mistake, sorry. I do not mean the sport button, I am talking about the upper left corner of the wooden gearbox panel - what the heck is that?

Old 07-04-2019, 07:48 PM
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by rlazol
Thank you jaapvanthoff and Dell Gailey, I really appretiate your comments.

Yes, unfortunately, I think the same about the mileage. Just look at the buttons of the steering wheel (pic 1-2).

I am very careful with Italy, and I am also looking at German and other ads (mobile.de and autoscout24), but I could not find my car yet. The problem is the distance, which is well above 1000 km, and I would not travel that much unless I am sure. Now, if they post a good ad, by the time I got there, they sell it. So I am left with the shitty ads.

My concern is the lack of the cover in case of the power outlet. Should not that be there anyway? I saw so many pictures and cars but never this solution.

As for the SPORT button: my mistake, sorry. I do not mean the sport button, I am talking about the upper left corner of the wooden gearbox panel - what the heck is that?

That switch/button/lever caught my eye immediately. I wondered what it was too, but now think it may be the Ejection Seat control....

Old 07-04-2019, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

I thought it was a miniature satellite dish

The following 2 users liked this post by Dell Gailey:
rlazol (07-05-2019), Yorta2 (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 08:48 PM
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Riazol, could you please post a close-up, in focus, photo of that switch, so we can read the name on it.

rlazol (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 05:29 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,822 Likes on 3,142 Posts

The knob on the gear shift (upper left corner) is some aftermarket piece to the car. Not sure what it is for. I would investigate that before looking at the car too much more. If someone has gone in and had to modify something, they either felt that they needed it and may not be anything of concern or they may have rigged something to correct a problem with the car (ie, could it be a dash dimmer because the one in the headlight switch failed for example?).

As for the ODO, the Jag has the mileage recorded in 2 spots. One is in the instrument cluster, the other is in the ECU itself. So, unless someone went through the hassle of pulling both and putting them into the new car, the mileage will be the higher of the two (saying if you only swapped one). This also tends to throw up error codes as the ECM and instrument cluster need to be programmed to each other. Lots of posts here where people have attempted to replace the instrument cluster and ran into lots of issues.

rlazol (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 09:16 AM

I am very glad for all your ideas and help.
The owner said that it was some telephone holder and it can be removed.
Right nowthere are too many question marks with this car, I keep an eye on it, but I will not move for the moment. Another, very exciting car just showed up near this, so I may keep this in reserve for the case if I travel there and need a second ption.

thank you all.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I don't know that I would be that worried about the buttons. It is a 14 year old car. Even if there are not that many miles.kilometers on it, if the previous owner(s) used them a lot or maybe wore a lot of hand lotion or something similar that could degrade the coating. From the pictures it looks like it is in good condition for its age. If you are looking for something that is in showroom condition, expect to be very patient. At that age range there is a good chance you will find one or more things that are not perfect on the car.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
Not unusual for cars not equipped ($ + option = smoker's pkg) to have the power outlet. Sport mode "s" button is down by the coin slot or dsc button by the gear shifter. Pics don't show that area.

I think this car is a lower and basic model, even the steering wheel is all leather compared to mine (wood and leather).
Isn't it the other way around? The DSC button is where the coin slot is and The S button is by the gear shift?

Old 07-05-2019, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, in the posting only 2 pics showed, lol. I didn't realize the additional pics were available if you clicked on one of the 2 shown.